PDA

View Full Version : Rustic Natural Edge -Yellow Mulberry birthday bowl

Roger Chandler
06-12-2012, 9:47 AM
My youngest son purchased his first house in April...........has a birthday today, and for his living room he wanted a rustic natural edge bowl for his coffee table. [Our housewarming gift to him was a new living room suite]

Anyway, after looking at the different hollow forms, lidded boxes, bowls, etc. that I have turned over the last couple of years, he wanted a natural edge. I chose this piece of yellow mulberry because I thought it would contrast well on that coffee table and show up as an accent piece. The bark came off this before I even put it on the lathe......just loose and came off it two pieces.

The log section was very uneven.........one end bigger in diameter than the other, and the mass of the log was off center lengthwise, so I had to try and balance it a bit, and that made the bottom foot a little off center, but rustic is what my son wanted.

I was reluctant to even post this one, as I do not think it is indicative of my skill level, but I guess none of us can turn a masterpiece with every turning, or else they would all be mediocre! :D:rolleyes:

I sanded back the WTF a bit to cut the sheen to keep it rustic looking. Dimensions are 10-3/8 inches long, 8-1/4 wide and 4-3/8 tall.

Bernie Weishapl
06-12-2012, 9:56 AM
He is going to like that Roger. Really a nice NE. Does the yellow mulberry turn a nice brown color with age?

Roger Chandler
06-12-2012, 9:59 AM
He is going to like that Roger. Really a nice NE. Does the yellow mulberry turn a nice brown color with age?

So far Bernie, all the yellow mulberry I have turned over the last two years has kept its natural yellow color.

Russell Eaton
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Roger I like that a lot. Good job with the wood turners finish as well. Your son should be very proud of the bowl.

John Keeton
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Looks very nice, Roger! Did you tint the naked rim?

Roger Chandler
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Looks very nice, Roger! Did you tint the naked rim?

Nope.........I guess that is part of the cambium layer that was underneath the bark.........it is covered with shellac and finish now, so it should stay dark.

Roger Chandler
06-12-2012, 6:44 PM
Roger I like that a lot. Good job with the wood turners finish as well. Your son should be very proud of the bowl.

Thanks a lot, Russell.........much appreciated!

Steve Vaughan
06-12-2012, 8:57 PM
That's nice looking! Love mulberry! That natural edge is always a challenge for me, you done good!

charlie knighton
06-12-2012, 9:39 PM
very nice Roger, your son will cherish it

Roger Chandler
06-12-2012, 9:58 PM
Thanks Steve............thanks Charlie!

Doug Herzberg
06-12-2012, 10:53 PM
That's really nice, Roger. Our mulberry trees are mostly weeds around here, but I remember the big ones with edible fruit in Iowa. Never saw the wood, though.

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2012, 2:26 AM
Very nice Roger! I'm sure your son will be very happy with it.

Michelle Rich
06-13-2012, 4:54 AM
lovely gift..fills the "rustic" requested. he oughta be pleased

Roger Chandler
06-13-2012, 6:54 AM
That's really nice, Roger. Our mulberry trees are mostly weeds around here, but I remember the big ones with edible fruit in Iowa. Never saw the wood, though.

Doug, I am not sure about Mulberry trees in general........I know there are red ones and yellow ones.........not sure which or if both bear fruit. The pieces I got were given to me by fellow creeker Dale Winburn a couple years ago at one of our club meetings...........I have made pens and a couple of bowls............even sent David DeCristoforo a piece last year.

One thing I have noticed about the pieces I had............they were pretty stable.........don't know if Dale had used good technique in drying to the point that he did when I got those pieces or if it is naturally stable, but on my pieces, cracking was minimal..........it was kept inside my workshop for all the time I had it, so not sure if that contributed to the stability or not.

I know that I would like to have some more of it, however. This piece was my last one!

Fred Belknap
06-13-2012, 7:57 AM
Roger that is a well done NE. I haven't done any mulberry. It grows around here but isn't very common.:)

Roger Chandler
06-13-2012, 9:00 AM
Roger that is a well done NE. I haven't done any mulberry. It grows around here but isn't very common.:)

I agree with you about mulberry not being really common [like oak or maple] but there are some around as you say. I hope I can get some more. I was just out in the shop doing some mandatory clean up [don't want the shop police citing me :rolleyes: ] and I found one more piece of this........I think the other half of the piece I sent to DD last year........it was underneath the shelf on my lathe........looks to be in good shape for perhaps a hollow form! ;)

Thanks Fred! Perhaps you will run across a piece or two before long...........one can hope!