PDA

View Full Version : Tool moving companies in CT.

Darren Brown
06-11-2012, 9:04 PM
Whats up guys (and gals),

I haven't posted in quite a while as I have been going through some major life changes. I just finalized my divorce and spent a short time on the unemployment line. I've seen some dark days. The current situation I find myself in is that I need to move my entire workshop into storage in 30 days or it will all belong to the ex-wife. Does anyone have any leads on a company in CT that can move my large power tools for me? I could do it myself, but time is definitely a factor here. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, we are talking about a Hammer K3 and A3-31 so I can't just throw these in the back of my car.

Thanks,

Darren

Michael Mayo
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I would contact a moving company local to you and see if they can do it if not I am sure they can steer you towards a rigging company that could easily move the machines into storage for you.

Tim Cottle
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
If things get dicey, you could always contact a towing company with a flatbed. My dad moved stuff like this for people all the time.

Carl Beckett
06-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Its a little hit or miss - but I have had pretty good success locating such services on Craigslist.

Rodger Kanis
06-12-2012, 1:00 PM
Ditto the Craigslist suggestion above. There is a section under "Services" called "labor/move"... you'll find lots of help under there. Everything from from literally a guy or two with a truck to actual moving companies. Since your machines are pretty heavy, let them know this up front, as they might need a lift-gate truck instead of just a ramp.

Most charge by the hour and will give you a quote. Have ready for them how many machines, size and weight of the heaviest, where they are coming from (outdoor workshop, downstairs/basement, etc.) and where too, including the distance so they can account for travel, fuel, and time.

Good luck, and best wishes!

Peter Kelly
06-12-2012, 1:53 PM
http://www.meyerrigging.com

Also, you could ring up Atlantic Machinery (http://www.atlanticmach.com) in New Milford and ask who they use for local moving. 860-354-7200

Jeff Duncan
06-12-2012, 1:56 PM
Be very, very, wary when fishing on CL for this type of help. Guys can promise a lot, but delivering is a different story. At the very least make sure they're insured. It's not too hard to picture a situation where the saw doesn't make it to it's destination in the same condition it left, and your up the creek without a paddle. Not to mention how many of these so called movers end up on the news after they held someones belongings hostage for more money. Buyer beware applies in spades here!

It may help to check Angies list also. I haven't personally used it, just seems like a good idea.

You could also call in an actual rigging company who would be full insured and know how to handle larger equipment without a problem. However you better have a fat wallet too!

My vote....get a Ryder box truck with a lift gate and move it yourself. You'll spend a few bucks and a days worth of time, but it'll be a LOT cheaper than riggers and a lot less risky than anyone off of CL.

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
06-12-2012, 5:17 PM
There is a rigging company in Waterbury that my boss used to move a molder that weighted around 12,000 pounds. Very professional, but mot cheap. I think its called Industrial Riggers Inc. I'm not sure if they handle small stuff like your. My former neighbor sold a Northfield unipoint RAS that was in his basement,and he hired a wrecker with a flatbed to extract it. They rigged it, used the wreckers winch to pull it up the stairs on skids, then picked it up with the wrecker boom and moved it on the flat bed. That might be a serious option if you can make such an arrangement.

HANK METZ
06-12-2012, 8:04 PM
When I sold my home and needed to move out before buying a new one, I rented a PODS and they delivered, I loaded, they picked up and warehoused it for about a month, and delivered it when and where I wanted it. Very economical, I loaded myself over a period of several days but nothing says you can’t Craigslist some muscle for a day and be done with it.

- Beachside Hank
Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

Rick Potter
06-13-2012, 2:12 AM
I used United Van Lines. When I called them, I didn't expect them to be able to handle tools, but they did great, including two 1000+ pound tools. I was also surprised at how reasonable they were. Since it was only six miles, I even had them move three garden sheds, which they did with a flat bed trailer.

Rick Potter

Nick Cook
06-14-2012, 9:38 AM
Feel free to move them into my shop, I'll take good care of them ;)

I'll second the flatbed suggestion, those guys are usually accustomed to moving equipment and the flatbed makes it very easy to load and unload.

-Nick