PDA

View Full Version : Antique Jack Plane Issue HELP

Charles Travis
06-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Hey SMC

I recently came across an old Millers Falls No. 14 and I'm in the process of restoring it. My issue is the depth adjustment knob will not budge from the frog. I would like to remove it so I can reprint the frog and polish up all of the hardware. After struggling with it for an hour, I chucked it in the vise, knob pointing up, and soaked it in the PB Catalyst lubricant. Hoping that works. Any other suggestions? I know this can't be the first time this has happened.

Thamks in advance

Mark Baldwin III
06-11-2012, 9:32 PM
Penetrating oil can help, so you got that covered. Got a heat gun? Heat the frog around the area of the knob before you try to turn it. Between the lube and heat you should be able to break it loose. That is usually the best solution to old stuff that's stuck together. I don't know anything about MF planes, but if the adjuster is brass, you've got some differing metals issues working there. Which means they've stuck themselves together. Heat and oil. If that don't work, more heat and oil. Then if it doesn't work, try swearing at it :) Swearing won't unstick 'em...but you'll feel better.

Charles Travis
06-11-2012, 9:52 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't have a heat gun, but I'll pick one up tomorrow. I suppose it's a good thing to have around anyway. Or maybe I'll try the girlfriends quality hair dryer first, THEN maybe get a heat gun. :p

Maurice Ungaro
06-12-2012, 8:05 AM
Charles,
Welcome to the Creek! MF planes are almost exact copies of the Stanleys, for what I know. If that sucker gives you too much trouble, I've got a no. 14 I'm putting up for sale in the classified section today, or tomorrow.

Kenneth Speed
06-12-2012, 9:56 AM
PB blaster is goods stuff. I've never had to use a heat gun but it sounds like good advice. Another thing to do is to use vibration to help the oil penetrate, either put a well fitting screw driver in the slot and lightly tap it for a while with a hammer or tap the whole frog lightly. As I was writing this it occurs to me that you could remove the totes and put the plane in a low oven on some aluminum foil, when your wife isn't home, bribe your kids to keep their mouths shut. On second thought, buy the heat gun! LOL!!!

Joshua Byrd
06-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I concur with everything mentioned here, although I've never had any of my planes require more than a good soaking of PBlaster to get the depth adjuster unstuck.

Greg Wease
06-12-2012, 3:49 PM
I assume you know it's a left-hand thread. A friend of mine didn't and nearly destroyed the knob turning it the wrong way.

Ed Breen
06-12-2012, 5:08 PM
I used a mix of equal parts laquer thinner and transmission fluid. Did the job that POB nor any of the others could do. Git the info from Old Tools group.

Jacob Nothstine
06-12-2012, 8:00 PM
PB let it set for a day, more PB let it set for a day. I had a old B.Plane from 1889 it took me a week to free all the bolts.

Joshua Byrd
06-13-2012, 9:36 AM
I used a mix of equal parts laquer thinner and transmission fluid. Did the job that POB nor any of the others could do. Git the info from Old Tools group.

That's a new one to me. Thanks for sharing it. I know that tranny fluid is really slick (NEVER leave it on your garage floor! DAMHIKT), but I wouldn't have imagined that it could be thinned enough to creep between metals without losing some of its slick magic.