PDA

View Full Version : Walnut lidded box/bowl

John Keeton
06-11-2012, 8:27 PM
A long time friend gifted me a very nice piece of seasoned walnut - 4.5" thick x 10.5" wide x 8' long - in addition to a nice piece of cherry. He owns an old restored sawmill, and has indicated we will saw up some more wood this summer from several logs he has procured over time. I offered to pay him for the walnut, but he preferred I turn a piece for his wife.

This one is 5.5" wide x 4.5" tall, black walnut with an African Blackwood knob. The finish is a combination of things - my standard BLO, followed by shellac, then a couple of coats of WTF to complete the grain fill. That was sanded level, rubbed out with BLO and 0000 and topped off with 3-4 coats of spray satin lacquer. That was then lightly hand buffed with 0000, and rubbed by hand. I will probably buff it lightly in a few days, but I want a soft luster rather than a gloss on this one. There was a knot at the edge of this piece, and turning away the knot left one side with some beautiful figure - in stark contrast to the rather plain wood in the remainder.

Kind of a simple take on a lidded box, but this one was a real hit with Ms. Keeton. She doesn't care for the artsy stuff, and when I do something like this, it gets her attention.

So, what do you think?

Dick Mahany
06-11-2012, 8:39 PM
John,

I'm a lidded box enthusiast and after just having attended the AAW symposium, am very much interested in moving into hollow forms. I love this piece for its simple elegance and flowing lines. The wood is beautiful and your finish formula obviously worked incredibly well ! Gets me thinking...........

paul vechart
06-11-2012, 8:42 PM
Very nice form and finish John...I always wondered how you do the top on a piece like this. Do you just part it off or is there more to it?

John Keeton
06-11-2012, 8:45 PM
Thanks, guys! Paul, I form a tenon on both ends, or if I don't have enough wood, I glue on a waste block to each end of the blank. Then roughly shape the bottom, leaving enough stock to permit some fitting of the lid. Part it off, form the recess and fit the lid, push them together with tailstock pressure and turn the whole unit. On this one, I did create a recess for holding the lid in expansion mode in the event I would have needed it. As it was, I did not need to chuck the lid in that manner.

paul vechart
06-11-2012, 9:00 PM
John...thanks for the explaining the process. I may have to give it a try!

Eric Holmquist
06-11-2012, 9:04 PM
Gorgeous form with great flowing lines. I like the more simple finial on this better than some of the more elaborate ones. I think many of us, myself included, get carried away trying to show off when we make a finial, and loose sight of the fact that a nicely flowing curve can be prettier than lots of busy details.

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2012, 9:28 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. I do like the form on it. Really like that finish.

Mike Peace
06-11-2012, 9:43 PM
Beautiful form, John. I like the detailing in the lid and the Blackwood knob really works.

David DeCristoforo
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, in this case, I'm siding with the misses. This is one of my all-time favorite of your pieces. Soooo simple... but sweet. Love it!

Thomas Canfield
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice looking simple design box. It is unique. I was interested in the finishing process and all the different finish materials that were use. I have used WTF for the first time yesterday and know that there is a lot to learn about using it, and I was somewhat surprised that you applied BLO and shellac before the WTF and then followed it with BLO and lacquer. Lof of finishing info to learn.

Steve Vaughan
06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Nice looking! Love the curves and lid, and agree, simple sets it off!

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Well done. smooth flow.

Roger Chandler
06-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice John..........unusual........ for a lidded box/form, but it looks great with the knob.

Scott Hackler
06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Clean, soft, smooth, utilitarian-esk.......but yet sophisticated. Yeah, that about covers it! Nice John.

neil mackay
06-11-2012, 11:07 PM
This is a amazing and I love it, amazing as I have one on the lathe very similar and have been pondering over the knob shape.
I may borrow some elements of this one with your kind permission.

John Beaver
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
JK
That's one sweet "s" curve.
beautifully done.
JB

Tim Chase
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
John, this is a beautiful box greatly enhanced by the time and effort spent on a great finish. Everything else has already been said.

charlie knighton
06-12-2012, 3:08 AM
John, really like the flow, you should probably enter it in the new aaw contest

Michelle Rich
06-12-2012, 6:00 AM
I agree with all before me on the graceful lines of the vessel & the top of the vessel. But I have to admit I do not like the foot. I really rarely like feet, so it's nothing new for me. Despite my picky foot thoughts, it's a very well done turning.

steven carter
06-12-2012, 1:46 PM
Very nice John, simple yet elegant. Mrs. Keeton knows how to pick them!

Jeff Myroup
06-12-2012, 1:51 PM
I really like the lines on this. I am still contemplating the foot, but not sure what you could do to improve it with out loosing the stability you would expect from a box/ lidded bowl.

John Keeton
06-12-2012, 4:16 PM
I will admit I am fond of feet on turnings and on this one, I was after the lift and "swoop". Thanks so much for taking a look and the time to comment.

Allan Ferguson
06-12-2012, 4:29 PM
I really like this one. The finish as usual is very nice indeed.

Doug Herzberg
06-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I like it a lot, John. Nice wood, lovely form, excellent finish. I was just wondering about WTF over oil, guess it works.

Alan Trout
06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
John,

For my sense of taste this is one of my favorite pieces you have done. a wonderfully simple piece with lots of style. Something to be proud of for sure.

Alan

Deane Allinson
06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Beautiful piece. I like everything about it. Uncomplicated , you always go good forms but this one is outstanding to me

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2012, 2:22 AM
That's a beauty John! Beautiful wood and form and the simple knob really works with it.

Fred Belknap
06-13-2012, 8:22 AM
John I think this is one of your best works. The Mrs. is always right.

Tim Rinehart
06-13-2012, 9:05 AM
I think there's a bit in all of us that appreciates the utility pieces that are carried out so well, as this piece is.
Looks like no other I've seen, but also has a kind of classic feel to it. Timeless may be a good word to describe.
Beautiful work John!

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
John - that is an exceptional form! Love the flow! Pretty wood and your finish gives the piece a warm - almost aged - glow! Very nice work!