PDA

View Full Version : Bud Vase

John Spitters
06-11-2012, 1:04 PM
Inspired by some pieces recently made by Herman de Vries and posted on WOW

This piece was initially turned between centers A mounting recess turned into each face for mounting to the chuck and the overall outside shape applied and using a parting tool parted it into two halves. However before mounting the block the "flat" for the bottom was offset from the center so that once hollowed the base of the piece would have some weight and of course if the bottom flat was to be cut into the piece after hollowing I would have been left with a hole showing in the bottom. Each half was then turned into matching bowl shapes and glued back together. Once glued back together the final shape was refined and the chuck recesses removed, top opening was then cut out with a copeing saw. 7 1/2"h x 8"w
Finish is a poly oil blend.

Bob Bergstrom
06-11-2012, 1:25 PM
I certainly wouldn't want it to be placed anywhere it could not be seen from either side. Beautiful wood and so well done. Maybe a motorized lazy susan so you could view it all. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
06-11-2012, 6:04 PM
Well done!! Is that another piece of maple burl? Great color and figure.

Greg Ketell
06-11-2012, 6:56 PM
Very nice!

Steve Vaughan
06-11-2012, 8:16 PM
Sweet! Love it!

Eric Holmquist
06-11-2012, 8:54 PM
Wow, I tried one of these once, not even close to yours! Maybe I should give it a try again. I like to more open mouth than I usually see with this sort of turning, and great idea on offset turning the inside to get mass on the bottom.

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2012, 9:37 PM
Great piece. Love the wood.

Michelle Rich
06-12-2012, 6:23 AM
glorious wood..this shape was big about 10-15 yrs ago and in many books..great to see it back.