PDA

View Full Version : The new tool test????

Mark Singer
04-04-2005, 11:34 AM
When you are ready to buy a new tool....do you think about it for a few days...just buy it on impulse? Do you ask yourself it will improve your woodworking or just be another tool in the collection? another plane or chisel that is really redundant and just collects dust... Are you doing a new project that justifies the expense and need for the new tool? Will it add safety and health , like better dust collection to your woodworking.

Do you wish I would just mind my own business so you can continue collecting all the tools you want without the guilt?" Yeah, ..What is it his business anyway? "

"If I am hooked...it is my problem and I can seek my own help....of course when I get ready! "

"I could be spending it on wine...women...a boat..."(some interesting ideas:confused: )

Ted Shrader
04-04-2005, 11:39 AM
When I buy a new tool, generally it is with sufficient research to determine the quality and if it has the features I want. Then, once the particular tool (brand/model) is determined, look for the best price. Also, most all the tools I buy are bought with a specific use/project in mind. It also opens up new windows downstream in design when a new technique will be used.

Every so often impulse buys are made. Those items are on sufficient enough sale to justify the impulse.

Ted

Jim Becker
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
The degree of chewing and contemplation is relative to the strategic nature of the tool in question. Stationary power tools I consider top-line strategic purchases and they definitely get planned for to a high degree. That's not saying I necessarily take eons to go through the process, but I do take enough time to thoroughly understand the machine in question and what it brings to my shop for the required investment. Other purchases are more ad-hock, but at this point generally result from a tactical need of a given project or set of anticipated projects. Many hand tools fit into this category, as well as cutters/tooling for existing resources and upgrades to things. Some purchases are both strategic and tactical...I would fit my Festool acquisitions over the last year in this category as they filled not only immediate needs, but also brought new capabilities and methods.

And like Ted closes with...sometimes ya just gotta pull the trigger on something that just seems "neat"... ;)

David Fried
04-04-2005, 12:15 PM
In general, I have been buying tools as I need them for a project. The net and the creek, in particular, allow me to find feedback/reviews that guide my purchases.

Some, of course, are just impulse purchases.

Mark, you can make the boat! You're in Cali so you can make the wine (and wooden barrels and presses). I doubt you need help with the women.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Good question Mark. For power tools I think about the purchase for a period of time, sometimes its a long time and other times not so long. Hand tools are a different story. I've bought more of them on impulse because I liked the way they feel or look.

I think we (woodworkers in general and those that frequent the internet in particular) think about tool purchases way too much. I'm not saying you shouldn't evaluate your needs and options before buying a tool. Lord knows I've bought my share of lemons over the years. However, I think we tend to overanalyze the whole process--We search for the one perfect tool when in reality it probably doesn't exist and any one of several would be perfectly servicable for our needs.

Come on be honest. Am I the only one who buys a new truck without a second thought, but agonizes over a $300 tool, for days or weeks, then immediately has buyers remorse after I get it home only to find out weeks or months later that it works exactly as advertised and does what I want it to do?

Michael Ballent
04-04-2005, 12:52 PM
I think, research, think, research, buy, research, think I spent too much, justify, think, then use the new tool and smile :D repeat cycle.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-04-2005, 1:04 PM
Great Topic Mark.

As for me, most of my tools have been project justified, but I am just starting out so that is easy. I don't buy tools just to have, anything that I buy is with a use in mind. As all, my funds are limited so at this point, I am not a collector.

Greg Mann
04-04-2005, 1:07 PM
I think about tool purchases all the time. Tim Allen's got nothing on me. I certainly have my impulse purchases, usually things I buy when looking at other bigger, more expensive things. I do like the concept of going through the delayed gratification process, doing my research and then aquiring a tool that is satisfying every time I use it.

As far as minding your own business, well, when somebody asks the 'what purchase' question on the forum, they are fair game. :D

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2005, 1:37 PM
Usually small power tools or hand tools I purchase because of an immediate need. Larger more expensive power tools, I research...research....decide on make and model.....then contemplate...procrastinate.....finally biting the bullet and buy it. The one time I've impulsively bought some major tool was my latest table saw. My wife wanted me to have it...it was on sale....she was with me....she insisted I buy it.......six or seven times in the hour we were in the store together......Later I had some I had some reservations but....we'll see.

Richard Wolf
04-04-2005, 1:43 PM
I usually buy any tool that I think someday I will have a need for, this I'm always perpared.

Richard

James Carmichael
04-04-2005, 1:45 PM
Mark,

I'm curious as to whether some, or most of the folks on this forum produce income from woodworking. I'm green with envy when I see references to machines like an MM16 BS, but I just don't know how anyone can justify something like that unless you're earning a living with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of those who do buy high-end mahcines for hobby use. If you're obligations are met and you're not going into debt for it, enjoy!

When it comes to major tool purchases (stationary power tools), I research, try to figure if I really need it (since I don't do this for a living, the answer is nearly always "no"). But if I happen across a really good bargain, I may buy it. This is basically how I outfitted my "shop". I started out with a PC router and Craftsman TS (the latter was long-since returned to Sears). After the TS false start, I took to studying, but just could not justify the cost of decent equipment in my mind. So I started looking at hand tools, learning about planes, hand saws, chisels, and buying a few inexpensive Stanleys, Disstons, etc, and learning how to tune and use them, figuring they wouldn't cost too much (ha!). Then, HD had the Great Grey Ridgid closeout, and even though LOML may not understand what a jointer and planer are, she comprehends 60% off. So now the center of my "shop" is my Ridgid 14" BS and router table, and the grey jointer and planer see a lot of use. Admittedly, not the greatest of tools, but fine for someone just starting out. Unfortunately, it may have been the worst "bargain" ever as it got me on the slippery slope. Kinda like winning your first pull of a slot machine in Vegas:-)

So for me, it's a lot of research and then look, and wait for opportunity to present itself.

Mark Singer
04-04-2005, 2:12 PM
James,
For me it is just for fun...with the exception of scaled wood models I build for clients. ..If you are comitted to woodworking as a hobby for a long time it gets easier to justify the big purchases...you are dedicated and it is a passion...I think most of us started with some pretty cheap first machines and worked our way up replacing so-so stuff with better as our budgets and experience said it was prudent ....There is fun and learning at every level and really that is the real bottom line....

JayStPeter
04-04-2005, 2:13 PM
I tend to follow tools and reviews. I keep a list (in my head) of tools I want and acceptable options. That way, if a deal on something used comes up, I have already done the research and can pull the trigger. Otherwise, I wait for the need (or availability of cool purchase funds) before buying. "Impulse buys" generally come from my "list", just bought before need/plan. I even have small things like glue, finish, even screws on the list. Each project is an opportunity to try some new product, even those that don't lead to new tools ... wait ... have there been any of those :)

Jay

Silas Smith
04-04-2005, 2:17 PM
I'm a sucker for sales and closeouts. If I think that I have a reasonable chance of selling it if I don't like it, I usually take the plunge. At least I'm at the point where I don't go into home depot anymore and think that I need a tool. I either own it or know that it's not worth the $$$. Stationary purchases are another matter as I have been researching cabinet saws for the past year now. I have narrowed it down to delta, powermatic, grizzly, jet, saw stop, or general. Thank goodness the Skill combo set can be ruled out now :)

Larry Browning
04-04-2005, 2:21 PM
James,
I used to try to justify tool purchases and say to myself things like "I need this tool!". But now I NEVER try to justify a tool purchase, because it always came down to not really needing the expensive tool over the cheap stuff.
I know that I just WANT it. And as I get older and my expenses go down, (like no more kids at home) I can now buy the things I WANT, because they will bring me joy. Life is too short to settle for something less. It took me a long time to realize that it is ok to get something you want and not justify it to anyone. If you want it, get it, and don't feel guilty about it at all.
PS I think women learn this way before men do :D

Larry

James Carmichael
04-04-2005, 2:30 PM
James,
For me it is just for fun...with the exception of scaled wood models I build for clients. ..If you are comitted to woodworking as a hobby for a long time it gets easier to justify the big purchases...you are dedicated and it is a passion...I think most of us started with some pretty cheap first machines and worked our way up replacing so-so stuff with better as our budgets and experience said it was prudent ....There is fun and learning at every level and really that is the real bottom line....

Well, I guess that's true, Mark, you do pick up speed sliding the slope:-) I was one of those guys who used to look at the stationary tools at the big box stores and think how fun they'd be, but just couldn't justify spending.

Now, I salivate over the items running 4-figures and it doesn't seem so ridiculous (mostly over the web since, besides WoodCraft, nobody has a showroom for those type items). Guess I'll have to find some WW shows.

JayStPeter
04-04-2005, 2:34 PM
Mark,

I'm curious as to whether some, or most of the folks on this forum produce income from woodworking. I'm green with envy when I see references to machines like an MM16 BS, but I just don't know how anyone can justify something like that unless you're earning a living with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of those who do buy high-end mahcines for hobby use. If you're obligations are met and you're not going into debt for it, enjoy!

James,

It's all about priorities :). A lot of people have things they spend their discresionary income on. People often comment that I have a lot of money tied up in my shop. My reply is that there is less money there than a Harley, a boat, hot rod, or any number of other hobbies people have.
A friend of mine came by and saw a cabinet I built (my first piece of non-shop furniture). Like most of my friends, he's a ball-buster. He asked, "What's that, about a $3K cabinet?". My response was "Probably a little more than that, but still cheaper than that deer you shot last fall."

Jay

Andy London
04-04-2005, 2:36 PM
I think about it for weeks while I do internet research, mull over it for days.....and to be honest I usually wait until the tool in question breaks then i am off like a speeding bullet to but what I think is the right replacement.....did a lot of that last week, mt Frued router packed it in so I bought a new DW618, although smaller I like it better in the cabinet I have it in, Saturday morning my air compressor packed it in but I was expecting this, choice was still betweek the Delta and Husky, went to both stores, the girl at the store with the Delta would not give me the time of day, HD had the Husky in the back of my truck by the time I paid for it....very pleased with the unit....speaking of truck.....that was picked up new on Friday also......That had to be the toughest tool purchase I had to make, I loved my Tundra but with gas prices over $3.60 a gallon, it was time to downsize a little but I really, really like the Ranger I picked up.

John Weber
04-04-2005, 5:27 PM
Mark,

I think every one is different as are most tool purchases. I think for some, me included, I really enjoy setting up shop, incorporating a new tool, storage systems, jigs, shop flow, and mechanicals are all part of woodworking I enjoy as much as maybe you enjoy the design process. That's not to say I don't also covet my wood, love to learn new joinery techniques, or the design process (I try to keep all my little scraps of paper in a folder, some completed some maybe someday). As for tool buying, woodworking is my single main hobby, although I have plenty of other interest, the bulk of my time and money go into the shop, I usually try to allow for one major tool a year around the wood show (Tormek, JDS 2000, Performax, Planes, Power Feeder, Shaper - were all purchased over the last 7 years or so that way). This decision is a balance of want/need and planned for months/years. Other smaller tool purchases are made on an as need or wow this is too good to pass up deal. And finally Gene C. got me hooked into horse trading, basically selling tools to generate funds to buy more tools. Recently I sold off almost all my planes (Cliftons and Stanleys) in favor of a fewer, but more user friendly set of LN's - and very happy to have done so. My shop is very complete, only lacking mostly space, so now most of my purchases are things I want rather then need. But for me I enjoy buying and using nice tools so it's just part of the hobby. I could easily upgrade this or that and there are plenty of more planes to find, so always opportunities. I'm still generating mostly home repair projects right now, but if I can make it through the summer the list of more traditional woodworking projects is long and distinguished.

I'm not sure if that answers the thread, but a little rambling never hurt.

John

Dennis McDonaugh
04-04-2005, 5:35 PM
James,

It's all about priorities :). A lot of people have things they spend their discresionary income on. People often comment that I have a lot of money tied up in my shop. My reply is that there is less money there than a Harley, a boat, hot rod, or any number of other hobbies people have.
A friend of mine came by and saw a cabinet I built (my first piece of non-shop furniture). Like most of my friends, he's a ball-buster. He asked, "What's that, about a $3K cabinet?". My response was "Probably a little more than that, but still cheaper than that deer you shot last fall."

Jay

Good comeback. The last deer I shot (1989) cost about $20 a lb!

Dennis McDonaugh
04-04-2005, 5:37 PM
I think about it for weeks while I do internet research, mull over it for days.....and to be honest I usually wait until the tool in question breaks then i am off like a speeding bullet to but what I think is the right replacement.....did a lot of that last week, mt Frued router packed it in so I bought a new DW618, although smaller I like it better in the cabinet I have it in, Saturday morning my air compressor packed it in but I was expecting this, choice was still betweek the Delta and Husky, went to both stores, the girl at the store with the Delta would not give me the time of day, HD had the Husky in the back of my truck by the time I paid for it....very pleased with the unit....speaking of truck.....that was picked up new on Friday also......That had to be the toughest tool purchase I had to make, I loved my Tundra but with gas prices over $3.60 a gallon, it was time to downsize a little but I really, really like the Ranger I picked up.

Andy, down here the Ford F150 my wife drives is considered a minitruck because its not a 1 ton 4X4 dually!

Andy London
04-04-2005, 5:50 PM
Andy, down here the Ford F150 my wife drives is considered a minitruck because its not a 1 ton 4X4 dually!

It's interesting up here as all the SUV drivers are cringing, gas went up again today, it's around $4.00 a gallon (we measure in liters and it's a $1.04 a liter)....There are very few dually's up here and if you see one, chances are it will be a diesel....95% of the trucks use is going to work (10 miles or so each way) and buying wood once a week, another 20 miles, some running around. I've had the Ranger in the past, back in 86 and really liked it, the F-150 is a great truck just to big for what I need.....I love this ranger, it is one nice working truck and rides as good as the wifes Camry....much better sound system to boot:)

There is a car pool parking lot on the way to work, I noticed on the way home today there must be 20 vehicles facing the road with for sale signs

Byron Trantham
04-04-2005, 5:50 PM
I started wood working as a hobby but quickly it became a source of income, albeit randomly. I buy tools based on need. Depending on the cost, I spend a bit of time thinking about the purchase. I rarely, if ever, buy tools on impulse. I recently bought the Tormek and I spent three years justifying it to myself. Having bought it, I wish I had done it a lot sooner. ;) I have upgraded many of my major power tools - Unisaw, DeWalt 13" planner, etc. These decisions were based on use and need. I love buying tools, I hate spending the money! :mad: I want to buy a couple Lie Nielsen planes but I just can't justify the cost. I have three Stanley planes I spent a whole day lapping the soles and they look like mirrors. I will be working on the frog and the blades next. I figure I have about $100 in a float glass and wet-dry sand paper to achieve the finish but I'll bet they will serve me just fine. We'll see. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
04-04-2005, 8:05 PM
When you are ready to buy a new tool....do you think about it for a few days...just buy it on impulse? Do you ask yourself it will improve your woodworking or just be another tool in the collection? another plane or chisel that is really redundant and just collects dust... Are you doing a new project that justifies the expense and need for the new tool? Will it add safety and health , like better dust collection to your woodworking.

Do you wish I would just mind my own business so you can continue collecting all the tools you want without the guilt?" Yeah, ..What is it his business anyway? "

That last line is funny Mark! Got me rolling pretty good (course I was just staining some Red Oak and that may have contributed :eek: ).

Actually it is getting very easy for me. I pretty much decide before I even touch the new tool. I can easily eliminate over half the choices since I do this for a living. There's a certain company that's buying up tool companies and continuing to put out tools that don't hold up very well....they're out. Then I am left with about 4-5 really good tool makers. I won't mention any names but it wouldn't be a hard guess.

Then there those whose prices are well beyond my means at this point, they're out for the time being.

Anyway, I decide before I get to the store....there's markedly less staring at the boxes trying to decide these days. I generally get the info I use to decide from those who use the tools like I do. So far, so good!

Dennis McDonaugh
04-04-2005, 8:26 PM
It's interesting up here as all the SUV drivers are cringing, gas went up again today, it's around $4.00 a gallon (we measure in liters and it's a $1.04 a liter)....There are very few dually's up here and if you see one, chances are it will be a diesel....95% of the trucks use is going to work (10 miles or so each way) and buying wood once a week, another 20 miles, some running around. I've had the Ranger in the past, back in 86 and really liked it, the F-150 is a great truck just to big for what I need.....I love this ranger, it is one nice working truck and rides as good as the wifes Camry....much better sound system to boot:)

There is a car pool parking lot on the way to work, I noticed on the way home today there must be 20 vehicles facing the road with for sale signs

Andy, I don't think gas prices are bothering people enough to stop them from driving large trucks and SUVs yet. At least not in Texas where driving a large vehicle very fast is a birth right. Another dollar or two and it'll start. I drive a diesel and pull a couple large trailers so downsizing is not an option for me. We did take the bus downtown to the art show this weekend. 80 cents each way and no parking fees. We live on a major bus route and I think I'll consdier the bus more often.

scott spencer
04-04-2005, 8:35 PM
Depends on the significance and cost of the tool. Assuming bigger ticket items, there's usually good justification (or strong want!) and I usually do a fair amount of research. Last summer I did buy a Delta 22-580 for $229 as an impulse, but I was already familiar with it and knew I could sell my 22-560 for a fair price.

Mark Singer
04-04-2005, 9:33 PM
If I have a new project and some new tool will really help....that is an easy decision...sometimes I feel like on just one project pad for itself...

Kelly C. Hanna
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Andy, I don't think gas prices are bothering people enough to stop them from driving large trucks and SUVs yet. At least not in Texas where driving a large vehicle very fast is a birth right. Another dollar or two and it'll start. I drive a diesel and pull a couple large trailers so downsizing is not an option for me. We did take the bus downtown to the art show this weekend. 80 cents each way and no parking fees. We live on a major bus route and I think I'll consdier the bus more often.

It won't get there for me, I could care less how high gas goes. Without truck or car payments, gas prices are not as important to us as they are others. I'd hate to pay $35-40k for a truck and get 10-15 mpg. Heck, I can get that in the old truck.

Gas just went up $.36 or so here in the last few weeks. That's about $6 more a tank than it was. My truck cost me around $5k to operate last year (including insurance) and over 1/3 of that was gas ($1500 was the new motor). I'm guessin' that at $2.50 per gallon for the year (average), my costs will actually decrease by $1000 to $4k since I won't need a new motor this year.

Now, if I had a $500 mo truck payment and a full coverage policy to boot, well....you probably know what it's like...I don't. Haven't had a payment on a vehicle since early 1992 when I sold my Blazer.

I guess what I'm gettin' to is gas mileage isn't very important to me. I'd rather drive my 32 year old 'brick in the wind' 10 mpg truck or my 27 year old El Camino (that gets 15 mpg on the road:cool: ). I do most of the work on both of them myself and it's starting to get interesting. Both are running very nicely and the Elky is pretty darn quick.

TAKE THE BUS? No way in this town. Last time was in 1990 to see SRV & Jeff Beck play next door to the Cotton Bowl. Took a cab back home cause it was late...haven't ridden one since! :eek:

Mark Singer
04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Gas is really expensive! What can I say....money is money....gas is really high....a peirson can't even go any where.....we need other fuels....cars that run on sawdust.....we would be the really wealthy.....we have the wells.... I would open a "Sawdust station".....don't laugh ...it is highly combustible when mixed with oxygen...a little pressure...your out of here!:eek:

Bob Johnson2
04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
To the original question

I buy when I need a tool to get the quality end product I want. I tend to research purchases to death and then buy the one I wanted in the first place anyway. There are so many tools that I want that I have to make due with the ones I need, at least till I get the ones I need, then I'll get all the ones I want.

Mark Singer
04-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Yes Bob, we may have strayed a little ...I must say I can begin to see your point....
To the original question

I buy when I need a tool to get the quality end product I want. I tend to research purchases to death and then buy the one I wanted in the first place anyway. There are so many tools that I want that I have to make due with the ones I need, at least till I get the ones I need, then I'll get all the ones I want.

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 12:28 AM

"If I am hooked...it is my problem and I can seek my own help....of course when I get ready! "

"I could be spending it on wine...women...a boat..."(some interesting ideas:confused: )

I usually buy tools as a need for it arises. I do however research alot. I save and spend the money to buy better made tools but have had my fair share of "why the heck did I buy that when I could be out womanizing with the money !"

Keith

man I wish that mark singer guy would quit asking so many question. what's he writing a book or something ?

Mark Singer
04-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Keith,

Life is full of difficult choices....I for one, think you have taken the right road....I am sure there are other opinions...

Ian Barley
04-05-2005, 3:41 AM
The decisions become easier with time. I have a box full of dead tools which are not up to earning their living full time. I now know that brands to avoid and they are not only the hobby marketed ones.

Sometimes I will buy a tool fairly impulsively. If it is something that purports to do a unique job the only way to really find out if it will be useful is to try it. The Festool linear sander fit this category and seemed like it would do a job for me. It doesn't and will be sold soon. If it had done the job I wanted it would have paid for itself in a couple of months.

With stationary tools I have been bitten once and now work out a specification of the job I need done and give it to a trusted supplier. I then review his recommendations for the job and choose the one that seems best. That way if the tool is not up to the basic job I have a legal comeback on the supplier. This gets more important when you are talking about $10K tools.

Alan Turner
04-05-2005, 5:35 AM
How do I decide to buy a tool? Heck, my basement is so full of tools that it couldn't hold another one one of any size, so I bought a new (old) building so I can fill it up.

Talk about impulse buying, I went up to Conn. to pick up a jointer and bandsaw, and tomorrow I will actually get them with a proper truck. But while I was up there last Wed., it seems I bought most of the rest of the shop. All kidding aside, I sometimes buy just becuase I have found a good tool at a great price, figuring that if I don't end up needing it, I can flip it, get my money back, and do another woodworker a favor.
In this vein, after thinking about it for a week, I called the Conn. guy and placed an "order" for one of the patternmaker's layout tables. It is about 4' by 6', and has a surface of milled steel so that when a pattern (read -- furiture or drawer) is glued up, it stays dead flat and square. I am not sure of the weight of this guy, but I know that I can't even budge one end. My only proviso was that the table did not go over the truck's weight limit. But, for $200, I think that I can get my money back if need be. I am not sure I need clamps, but bought all of his that were left anyway since most were Hartford Clamp Company brand. BTW, if any of you ever run into these, they put most modern clamps to shame in terms of "F" style clamps. Heavy, solid, strong, well made, never slip, etc. And then all of those screws, with which I could open a hardware store. The list is acutally longer.
My name is Alan, and I am a toolaholic. What are 12 steps anyway; I think they are but a perfectly valid excuse for a tool to build them.

Steve Wargo
04-05-2005, 5:56 AM
The first step is admitting you have a problem. ;)

Harry Goodwin
04-05-2005, 8:27 AM
Well Larry and
Richard I agree with you. At 70 I may need it or my son will have the best tools in town. Tool collecting is fun too. I want the best as reasonable and if it's a good deal or about to go to China I buy it. Ask my wife. Harry

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Mark,

I do a lot of research for my tools. Very seldom do I impulse buy. At this point I can't afford mid to high 3 or 4 figure tools. I want to learn and do woodworking so I have to buy the best tool that I can afford. Of course there is the justification you have to make to the wife who is holding the check book and always bringing up budget, budget, budget. So I told my wife when the house is paid and college is done watch out.

I will go toy crazy.........oops, oops, sorry I meant I will get some high end tools.
Bernie

Dennis McDonaugh
04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I usually buy tools as a need for it arises. I do however research alot. I save and spend the money to buy better made tools but have had my fair share of "why the heck did I buy that when I could be out womanizing with the money !"

Keith

man I wish that mark singer guy would quit asking so many question. what's he writing a book or something ?

Keith, that womanizing thing. Sounds vaguely famaliar, something from my deep past. Could you give me a reminder of what that was? :D

Keith Christopher
04-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Keith, that womanizing thing. Sounds vaguely famaliar, something from my deep past. Could you give me a reminder of what that was? :D

Dennis,

dunno *shrug* spent all my money on tools. LOL

Keith

Dave Anderson NH
04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
As a part time professional toolmaker/woodworker, I made a committment last year which has altered my tool buying habits. I now only buy tools from the income of the business and don't touch the funds in Sue's and my general checking account. I also look very hard and long at whether or not I have adequate space to place the new acquisition. Since I've owned most of my current equipment for a number of years, my focus now is on upgrading to equipment which will stand up to heavier and more frequent use. My lathe is a case in point. I currently have a Jet 1236 which is used for both furniture and turning all of the handles for the tools I make and sell. It will soon be upgraded to either a Jet 1642 or the Teknatool DVR 3000. I would have loved to buy a piece of realllly large old iron, but the lathe has to fit in a specific spot and 72"-96" bed old iron just won't fit.

When it comes to hand tools (my passion) I don't have too much of a problem in either spending the money if I want the item, or in finding a place to keep it. As I've said before, my power tools are modest in size and price, but I've got about 4 times as much money tied up in hand tools. My mindset has always had this funny quirk of cringing at spending $300 for something like a drill press, but having no problem in dropping $100 for a single chisel. I guess it's priorities.

Mike Vermeil
04-05-2005, 4:16 PM
It seems it's most all been said about how poeple arrive at their tool buying decisions, but I'd like to echo an earlier sentiment.

I also am amazed at the amount of $$$ many amatures are willing to spend on woodworking equipment. I love woodworking, been doing it for 10 years or so; first amature, now professional. I love tools, been using them pretty earnestly since I was 8 or 9. I always try to buy the best I can afford/justify, but in reality, tools are just another expense, and any money spent on them, is less time my family and I get to spend on vacation, the fewer times we go to the movies, the smaller the Christmas present for my wife. You get the point. Now if a more expensive tool will enable me to make more money in the long run, or will help me provide a better product, well great. I'll go for it if I've got the funds.

It's kind of like when I was involved in racing. My open trailer got the race car to the track just as well as the next guy's semi-rig, and his car wasn't any faster once there because no bugs hit it on the way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I try to put my money where it will make an impact on the actual final product, not where looks, status, etc tell me I should. This leaves me with the most possible funds for the other things in life that truely are irreplaceable.