PDA

View Full Version : Does a cradle need a locking mechanism?

Dave Anthony
06-11-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm building a cradle for my upcoming grandson and got to wondering if it needs a locking mechanism; i.e; some way to keep if from rocking? If so, why, and how do you accomplish this? Pictures/suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. The cradle is attached to a stand and rocks by rotating on bearings. I don't have a lathe.

Greg Cuetara
06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Dave not sure that a cradel HAS to have a locking mechanism but speaking from experience it is nice to have one. One child loved to rock back and forth and didn't mind it and the other absolutly hated it and would cry bloody murder if he was rocking. On our older cradle there was a simple dowel that just pushed into place to stop it from rocking back and forth. Doesn't have to be complicated, actually you want something very simple.
Greg

Bruce Page
06-11-2012, 1:34 PM
I would install a locking pin. If the baby moves off center the cradle will swing and possibly roll the baby to the bottom of the V. Not good!
Here’s a pic of one I made for my daughter’s firstborn. The lock is nothing more than a pin in the upright that engages the cradle.

Dave Anthony
06-11-2012, 2:02 PM
Well, it sounds like I definitely need some sort of lock mechanism. What holds the pin in place, or is it removeable? Bruce, based on a previous post of yours I copied the breakdown aspect of the cradle, seems like a good idea.

Larry Browning
06-11-2012, 2:55 PM
Well, it sounds like I definitely need some sort of lock mechanism. What holds the pin in place, or is it removeable? Bruce, based on a previous post of yours I copied the breakdown aspect of the cradle, seems like a good idea.

Me thinks you are over thinking this a bit. Drill a 7/8" hole thru the stand post and thru cradle end frame below the bed. Stick a 3/4" dowel with a knob on one end in the hole to lock it in place. Done. You can fancy it up all you want like attaching a leather strap to the end of the peg so you won't lose the peg. Or carve neat designs in the knob. You can put one on each end or just one end, either way it gets the job done. Chances are mom and dad will only use one anyway. It won't work its way out until the child gets too big for the cradle anyway. By then, it's time for a crib. This method has worked well for centuries. Easy peasy.

Bruce Page
06-11-2012, 4:56 PM
Dave, Larry is right; it does not need to be complicated. I am an ex-machinist with a lathe & mill and tend to Goldberg everything...:rolleyes:

This is what I did:

Kevin Bourque
06-11-2012, 8:02 PM
I made a hooded cradle out of clear pine for my niece 30 years ago.

I made the rockers with about an 8" flat bottom so its natural position was pretty stable. It rocked really well to if you wanted to rock it, but the baby really couldn't make it rock at all.