PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2012, 9:17 AM
11 June 2012

Good Morning,
Well the weekend has just been hot and dry. We are still praying for rain as everything is dry and dead. No rain for a very long time makes it difficult to garden and keep the plants alive. I guess we'll see if we get any rain in the next week or so. We sure do need it.

Been working at the day job a lot and helping the LOML in the garden. No shop time for me this past weekend, but I did think about it some. :)

Well, I'm off work for a couple of days and it's time off that I much needed to take. So here's to relaxing and not worrying about work for a couple of days.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2012, 9:34 AM
Finished milling the parts for the end frame of the porch swing I am making for my wife. Yesterday afternoon I finally glued it up. Last night I drilled and pinned the tenons. This morning in an over zealous moment I ran to the shop at 0530, unpackaged a new Marples japanese pullsaw I had bought. The new saw made quick work of cutting of the oak dowel pins in those tenons....and the knuckle of the forefinger on my left hand. You don't need a lot of force when cutting with a new saw! One should use sharp tools only after consuming enough coffee. I hadn't.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2012, 9:42 AM
Friday night I mowed the lawn then worked on laundry room/half bath cabinetry. I finished up the face frames and slab drawer fronts I'd started earlier in the week and milled all the stock for the rails and stiles of the doors and side panels. Pretty much came to a standstill at that point as I had to order the 1/4" MDF core maple ply I want to use for door panels and it won't be in until late this week or early next. And since that wasn't available I didn't want to make the trip to pick up the prefinished material for the boxes either.

Which is fine since Saturday we had LOMLjr's gymnastics recital (2.5 hours of dance and gymnastics recital...ugh!) a graduation party, and some friends' "beginning of summer" party.

Then Sunday we went over to my parents' and my mom and I worked on cleaning up my dad's shop for several hours, sorting out trash, scrap, putting away stuff to keep, and setting aside stuff to sell. He hasn't been able to go out there for several years and its quite a mess but we are making great progress. But first, LOMLjr and I launched a model rocket kit we bought a few weeks back. What a blast, pun intended! We actually did three launches. I need to look for parts to build us a better launch control than the one that came in the starter kit so she can actually push the button. This one is pretty finicky.

Ryan Brucks
06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I finally got around to creating a cobbled together dog kennel in my garage for my 5 beasts. Just used a bunch of extra melamine shelves and a 2x4 and an old circle hole plug scrap as a door wheel... DONE. Also had to add new mulch to the dog run outside to keep the clay off the beasts.

Then last night I made a 3/8" lexan blade guard and tapped most of the holes. Tonight will be finishing that and working on the ceiling support structure.

Oh yea I am in the midst of a Clear Vue cyclone install... but my cyclone body arrived last week with a crack... so waiting on a new one trying to do what I can to finish related DC projects before the new body arrive next week.

David Hostetler
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Worked overnight Thursday well into Friday morning making for a 20 hour day, so I went home and went to bed. Woke up nursing a case of the creeping cruds that have been making the rounds at work... The entire weekend has been kaput because of it. I did manage to get a tiny bit of shop time. Measuring specific tools critical dimensions, specifically my bench top jointer and lunch box planer. As well as taking down case dimensions for my hand held drills and drilling accessories. This was all in support of a couple of cabinet builds. One a flip top planer / jointer stand, and the other for a drill press mobile base stand. I am coming close to finalizing the plans for both of these and should be starting the builds soon...

Shawn Pixley
06-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Woke up twice on Friday night/Saturday morning with a sick dog. He was sick all weekend. Other than that, I cstripped down, cleaned and lubricated my saltwater fishing reels. Then cleaned and de-rusted boat tools. Woke up last night with a migraine. Struggled into work for a couple of key meetings and went home. Unfortunately, the neighbor had his driveway redone today. Great day for a migraine. Looking forward to work tomorrow.

Kevin W Johnson
06-12-2012, 2:31 AM
I've been working on re-doing our guest bedroom. It was previously being used for storage AKA, a catch-all room. It's now cleared out, carpet is gone, painted, new flooring put down, new closet door (to replace a crap bi-fold door that was there when I bought the house), and new baseboard trim. All that's left for me to finish is the closet baseboard. Then it's the wifes job to decorate how she wants it.

Kitchen is next, whenever I can find some Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) to match the six boxes that were given to me. I have about 110 sqft of flooring and need about 275-300 total.

Kevin W Johnson
06-12-2012, 2:37 AM
Friday night I mowed the lawn then worked on laundry room/half bath cabinetry. I finished up the face frames and slab drawer fronts I'd started earlier in the week and milled all the stock for the rails and stiles of the doors and side panels. Pretty much came to a standstill at that point as I had to order the 1/4" MDF core maple ply I want to use for door panels and it won't be in until late this week or early next. And since that wasn't available I didn't want to make the trip to pick up the prefinished material for the boxes either.

Which is fine since Saturday we had LOMLjr's gymnastics recital (2.5 hours of dance and gymnastics recital...ugh!) a graduation party, and some friends' "beginning of summer" party.

Then Sunday we went over to my parents' and my mom and I worked on cleaning up my dad's shop for several hours, sorting out trash, scrap, putting away stuff to keep, and setting aside stuff to sell. He hasn't been able to go out there for several years and its quite a mess but we are making great progress. But first, LOMLjr and I launched a model rocket kit we bought a few weeks back. What a blast, pun intended! We actually did three launches. I need to look for parts to build us a better launch control than the one that came in the starter kit so she can actually push the button. This one is pretty finicky.

I still have a launcher that my late father and I built. It uses a kitchen timer that counts down and launches the rocket. Funny thing about all the rockets I set off years ago. I bought two rocket kits at first, both took off and were never found. I started building all my own rockets from cardboard tubes, using carboard or balsa wood for fins, and shaping styrofoam for nose cones. I never lost one any of those, and some were dual stage, and multiple motor setups that fired 2-3 motors at once.

Gordon Eyre
06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I built a shooting board this weekend in preparation for making some picture frames. Want those miters to be perfect.