PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to canada

Zach England
06-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Can someone please advise me the best (cheapest but still timely) way to ship some tools to Canada? USPS seems to want a lot to send flat rate priority boxes.

Howard Garner
06-11-2012, 7:02 AM
Depending on what it is,the USPS is still the cheapest way to send to Canada.
FexEx and UPS often add customs or other fees that the recipient has to pay.

Howard Garner

Bill Cunningham
06-11-2012, 8:02 PM
Send it USPS NOT UPS unless the recipient has a customs broker. If they don't have broker UPS will royally rip them off.. Priority post is just as fast as ground ups, and a LOT less customs hassle and expense

Robert McGowen
06-11-2012, 9:23 PM
I have a UPS account and they charge a $35 broker fee to clear customs. This fee is paid by the recipient and you have no control over it, but I have never seen it in writing at UPS. I just hear about it from irate customers. USPS is probably the cheapest way to go.

Rod Sheridan
06-12-2012, 8:30 AM
Hi Zach, I always specify that the vendor use the United States Postal Service when I buy items from the US.

As others have indicated, their rates are lower and I don't wind up paying an additional $40 for custome brokerage like I do when the item is shipped by courier.

Regards, Rod.

Bill Cunningham
06-12-2012, 9:07 PM
When stuff comes to me via UPS, I avoid the UPS-RipOff by using a customs broker.. The UPS charge can range from$35.00 to over $50.00 depend ing on the value.. My broker charges me 10-14 bucks on average.. USPS mostly comes in 'no charge' or if identified as a commercial item, customs is 5 bucks plus the HST tax which I get back anyway.. Overnight DHL from the states, no broker needed, they simply hand you the package.

Roy Harding
06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm on the other side of the fence - I'm in Canada and both ship and receive things to/from the United States.

USPS has always been the least expensive option for receiving items from the U.S.A. and, Canada Post has always been the least expensive option for shipping items to the U.S.A.

As others have noted, due to their customs brokerage fees, I avoid UPS like the plague.

Having said that - please note that I said the postal services are the "least expensive" options - I did NOT say that either were INexpensive. :)