PDA

View Full Version : Compressor regulator leaks...

Jim O'Dell
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Larry E started me on the right path in his post looking for a regulator. I took the adjustment apart on mine a few minutes ago, this is what I found....234155 Black housing with grey knob off:234156
Close up of diaphragm: 234157 And the underside: 234158 Now, is there any chance of finding a replacement diaphragm? I did find the manufacturer, Melbem Products. Google search shows they were bought out by Campbell Hausfeld in the early 60s, so not going to be much help. And from the looks of things, I doubt that this is the original set up anyway. I bet I'll need to find a replacement. But where? Oh, and looks like there was a drain petcock mounted on the home made frame. Only problem is the line going to it has been crimped off. No telling how much water is in the tank, or for how long!! This could end up being a throw away unit, so I definitely don't want an expensive regulator. Thanks for any guidance you can offer. Jim.

Ray Newman
06-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Look in the Yellow Pages for tool repair or air compressor repair shops and start calling....

Jerome Stanek
06-11-2012, 7:26 AM
Just go to an auto parts store and get a new regulator.

Larry Edgerton
06-11-2012, 7:39 AM
Jim

If you do not need to be mobile you can mount a seperate regulator like this to the wall

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Tools-Water-Moisture-Trap-Filter-With-Regulator-Gauge-/330746414016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0205c3c0

Or pick a simular unit that does not have the trap/filter if youwant it mounted on the compressor
\
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-2-air-compressor-regulator-pressure-gauge-/280715800055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415bf72df7

They are available in different NPT sizes and pressure ratings, so you have to watch, but ebay would be a cheap solution to your problem. Some of the small "regulators" on ebay are not regulators at all but rather flow restrictors, basically a valve. You don't want one of those. Make sure if you have to build a new manifold that you do not put your regulator between your compressor and your pressure switch/blowoff valve.

Larry

Bruce Wrenn
06-11-2012, 9:41 PM
Regulators are pretty much generic. Look in HD, Lowes, HF etc. CH may still stock diaphragm for yours. Know anyone trashing an old pancake compressor?

Ronald Blue
06-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I have one similar to the one Larry referenced with the trap. I have it set up with quick connects and when I need to regulate the pressure for spraying I just pop it on and go. When I don't need a pressure reduction I am hooked up direct. Just another way of doing it.

Ruperto Mendiones
06-12-2012, 1:04 AM
I had the same problem with a >20 yr old regulator yet found the repair kit at a large {non-box} paint store that offers spray gun repairs.Good luck with the repair.

Ruperto

Jim O'Dell
06-13-2012, 7:28 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try a few places Sat. If I can get a new diaphragm, that would be the best bet for now. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-16-2012, 6:11 PM
Well, I went for the HF setup. More than I wanted to spend, but if it works it will be ok. Two trips to HD and I still didn't get everything!!! I need one more piece of threaded pipe to finish the hook up. May need a piece of electrical cable too...the one on the unit may not reach the switch now with the changes. 234647 This will have to wait until tomorrow. I need to get gas for the lawnmower too. Thanks again for the ideas. Jim.

ray hampton
06-16-2012, 6:23 PM
the more trips that we made to the HD need to be file on your taxes