PDA

View Full Version : what's causing this what fuzz

Josh Bowman
06-10-2012, 5:32 PM
My thin super glue foams when I hit it with the excelerator. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff Myroup
06-10-2012, 5:40 PM
I have had it foam like that if I use to much accelerator or if there is a lot of moisture in the wood. I try not to use accelerator if I don't have too. It can also make the CA cloudy.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2012, 6:16 PM
I have had the same thing happen. Either with the spritz accelerator or if the wood is damp. If it is both it is a mess. I use the spray can accelerator and doesn't seem to be as bad.

Jeremy Leasure
06-10-2012, 6:34 PM
This only happens to me when I have too thick of a puddle of CA and hit that with AC. Happens with thin and medium. Thin coats, such as on a pen, don't do it.

Allen stagg
06-10-2012, 7:26 PM
Have used CA grueand pretty thick and no problems with just a touch of spray accellerator. Too much makes it too hot and boils.

Wally Dickerman
06-10-2012, 7:37 PM
Often the problem is caused by using accelerator too soon. Wait 30 seconds before using it.

Reed Gray
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Of course, some glues will foam up more than others. I never use an accelerator. If the glue is thick and used as a gap filler, the outside will cure, and the inside slowly cures at natural rate. Any epoxy that is curing will shrink, and this will create voids in the fill, or if you turn it out, you can get sprayed by the still uncured glue. Patience grass hopper!

robo hippy

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey Reed,
You must be old if you remember "Grasshopper" and the Shaman priest. I think that show was the beginning of all the action shows based on martial arts. Can you imagine creating something that would influence society that much?
By the way, I didn't realize epoxy shrinks when it cures. I know it is not a very good gap filler without adding micro balloons. Thanks for that tid bit.
faust

Reed Gray
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Faust,
I found out about 'shrinkage' when making wood waste blocks for my threaded boxes where you epoxy threaded nuts into wood blocks. I filled them with thick CA glue. After 24 hours, they were still wet inside, slinging strings of CA glue in the air and non removable specks on my glasses. I put them over a heater to finish curing, and the glue honey combed like madrone burl.

FYI, the first action series with 'martial arts' was the Green Hornet with Bruce Lee as Kato. The old Kung Fu series was actually written with Bruce Lee in consideration for the lead role, but Holly Wood did not think an Asian would work in the lead role.

robo hippy