PDA

View Full Version : Stoppered Bottle 3.2

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2012, 1:33 PM
Larger than the last one and incorporating (I hope) a few "refinements" suggested in replies to the "practice piece". Otherwise pretty much the same idea. 10" tall +5 for the finial and 6" at the largest diameter. Maple burl with an ebony stopper. One of the "main" differences is that the lid is "let in" to the top of the form rather than lipped over it. Much easier to shape that way!

Roger Chandler
06-10-2012, 2:11 PM
David......really nice curve on the top into the finial.........makes the transition flawless. Love the grain in the wood and you tucked in the foot a little, which adds to the sweetness of the form in my opinion. Also sets the base in more proportional dimensions as to the form. Your double finial is a neat idea, and I have seen others who do this..........to me, it is only a marginal feature at best............although that is a matter of personal taste, and certainly does not reflect anyone's opinion but my own.

On the finish........what you have done is nice..........I would like to have seen what a lighter fade would do with this form.......perhaps a little yellow to accentuate the darker grain and bring more of a sunburst effect to this..........keep 'em coming, cause you have a lot of latitude to work many angles with this type form.

Brian Brown
06-10-2012, 2:28 PM
Niiiiiiiiice!!!

Bill Hensley
06-10-2012, 3:30 PM
The force is strong with this one, it appeals to me very much. Unfortunately I have no improvement suggestions.

Marc Himes
06-10-2012, 5:05 PM
Great Piece. I love the color-figure interaction.

Jeff Myroup
06-10-2012, 5:21 PM
I really like the strong color on this.

John Keeton
06-10-2012, 5:57 PM
David, I love the form, the color, and, of course, the wood is wonderful. The finial is well executed, and unique, but I am still on the fence with the top weighted finial style. It seems to make the finial look much taller than it is. Perhaps with this style, one could reduce the length to less than half the height of the vase??? Just wonderin'....... would you take a pic with the finial flipped over? I know the lid won't fit, but the shorter finial might give an idea of how it might look.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2012, 6:12 PM
Beautiful piece David. Love the color and the finial.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-10-2012, 6:44 PM
Nice form on this one, smooth flow int the finial. However I'm personally not a big fan of finial just seems a little top heavy.

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2012, 9:42 PM
"...would you take a pic with the finial flipped over?...the shorter finial might give an idea..."

Actually the two ends are almost exactly the same length. So flipping it won't have much effect!

Thanx for the comments...

Michelle Rich
06-11-2012, 6:36 AM
adore the color..your spindle work is awesome

Tim Rinehart
06-11-2012, 8:15 AM
Sweet. I love the color and depth in the center section, and the darkness of the top/bottom. It brings to mind something dark and magical...then again, could just be a stoppered bottle.:rolleyes:

Beautiful work David, I think this is a nice shape too, worth at least a half dozen or more variations in color before you move on to your next series!

Peter Blair
06-11-2012, 9:06 AM
Just wonderful David, as usual!

Allan Ferguson
06-12-2012, 4:50 PM
As always, super nice in all respects.

David DeCristoforo
06-12-2012, 6:00 PM
Thanxsomuch to everyone for the comments and critiques...

Rick Markham
06-12-2012, 7:17 PM
This one is simply gorgeous. Love the color and the flow of the form into the stopper is flawless as well.

Kathy Marshall
06-13-2012, 2:45 AM
Beautiful piece David! I just love the color and grain on this one. Wonderful form on this one as usual.