PDA

View Full Version : wood magazine shipping fee

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 4:07 AM
Has anyone noticed that Wood Magazine is now charging a $4.00 shipping fee for a subscription? I don't think they used to do this? I don't think I've ever seen a magazine that shipping wasn't just included in the annual cost. Struck me as a way to raise the price "quietly"...

Chris Damm
06-10-2012, 6:58 AM
Some magazines have done it for decades and it seems to be spreading. Others are almost giving their subscription away. I renewed 4 auto mags for aout $40 total for 3 years!

Myk Rian
06-10-2012, 9:48 AM
I quit Wood mag 4 years ago. Too many ads in it.
I don't remember ever paying a shipping fee, for any mag.

Dave Lehnert
06-10-2012, 3:27 PM
I have seen this before with other magazines. Are you 100% sure the magazine offer is direct from WOOD Magazine? I bet 75% of the offers I receive are from a 3 rd party not authorized as a reseller. It is a huge problem for magazines.
There was a story on tv some time ago about magazines. My understanding is a 3rd party will advertise a magazine (often cheap) just as a way to harvest your personal information. All they do is put your payment in an envelop and send it off to the proper magazine. The $4 shipping may just kinda be service fee for them so they don't lose money on the deal. Magazines get upset at this practice because if the company does not send them your order, you are mad at the magazine not the reseller.

Not saying this is what's happening in this case, but something to look out for with magazine offers.

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 4:37 PM
Are you 100% sure the magazine offer is direct from WOOD Magazine?

Yes, this was on the subscription insert postcards in the magazine.