PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw specification confusion

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 1:14 AM
I've been seriously looking over the specs of the grizzly G0513 17" and G0514 19" bandsaws trying to decide on which to order, and I'm finding comparing the specs within those product lines to be very difficult.

The ones I'm considering are the 513X2, 513X2BF, 513X2F, 513X2B, 514X, 514XF, 514X2, and 514X2B.

Things I've found that I'm hoping to get clarification on:

1. According to the 2012 bandsaw comparison, only the 514X2B has the geared rack and pinion table adjust. However, according to the downloadable spec sheets, all have "micro-adjusting gear table tilt". I've read that that table tilting feature is very nice, so I'd love to know for CERTAIN which of the models have it.

2. In the spec sheets, all 513 models list 10 amps drawn at 220 volts, except the 513X2B which lists 8.7 amps. Does it actually have a different motor than the others?

3. In the spec sheets, all 514 models list 12 amps drawn at 220 volts, except the 514Xf, which list 16 amps. Does it actually have a different motor than the others?

4. Are the fences on all exactly the same? They are just listed as "Deluxe cast iron with extruded aluminum resaw attachment".

5. Is the only difference between the 514XF and the 514X2 that the 514XF doesn't have the cast iron trunnion? The price difference is $155, while the upgrade trunnion is only $89. This makes me think I must be missing a difference.

6. It looks like the 514XF is precisely a 514X plus a foot brake, but since it is $155 less (instead of more), I again feel I must be missing something.

7. The inclusion of a power cord and a plug seems to vary a great deal across these (based on the spec sheets), and that certainly matters in comparing prices (if it really is true that some have them and others don't) since a plug will cost around $20 and a cord around $10. $30 eats up a big chunk of some of the small price differences between some of these models. However, one of them, the 513X2F, says a 6 ft cord is included, but then recommends two different wire gauges based on whether you run it 120 or 220 volt (which makes since, but makes me think perhaps a cord isn't included).

I'm hoping someone very familiar with the Grizzly bandsaw line might be able to clear all of this up for me.

Shiraz: Perhaps you can clear all this up, I've noticed from past postings that you seem very familiar with the bandsaws, and I remember you were a big proponent of that geared adjusting table. If you are too busy to respond to all of this, perhaps you can suggest someone at Grizzly I can call who would be extremely versed on these specs?

Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2012, 8:08 AM
Steven,

I would suggest you call Grizzly sales or technical support for clarification of technical specifications. They should be able to answer your questions.

Secondly, just because you are considering buying a tool, your calling out the owner of a company is a little presumptuous on your part don't you think?

Thirdly, a lack of plugs or power cords isn't unusual as manufacturers don't have a clue whether you are going to run 120vac or 240 vac or what type of plug you intend to use or meets your local code.

SMC isn't and shouldn't be used as a direct personal line to Shiraz Balolia or any other owner/executive officer of a company.

Myk Rian
06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
You might want to ask Grizzly what machine/s are actually in stock before ordering.
Some have waited months for an order, because it isn't even in the country at the time.

Guy Belleman
06-10-2012, 4:15 PM
Recommendations might be more on target if the intended use was defined a little more clearly. An 0513 model is a good saw and might suit your needs very well.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
06-10-2012, 4:27 PM
I wish no stationary tool was shipped with a cord; the first thing I do is remove it and replace it with one that suits my distance and amp requirements.

BTW, I have a G0514 and if you have room I would ditch a few trunnion upgrades and get the bigger 514 over the 513. Not that I have needed that 3HP yet, but that huge table has made many things cut and handle much easier than on a small table.

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 4:46 PM
I called Grizzly, and they told me they only had access to the same spec sheets and comparison chart I'm looking at, and therefore couldn't provide any clarification.

No, I don't think my post was presumptuous at all. I wasn't "calling out" anyone. Shiraz is active in this forum and seems to enjoy discussing tools and particularly band saws. I don't see how asking him for input is any different than asking anyone else. I certainly meant nothing inappropriate by it.

I agree that a lack of plugs and power cords isn't uncommon, however, it would appear that some of those models have them and others don't, but it is uncertain which ones do. I don't think it is a problem for one not to, but I would like to know what I'm getting before I order something.

I didn't use SMC as a direct line to an officer of a company, I used it as a direct line to a fellow member who probably knows the answers to my questions. We can disagree on this, but that was my intent...

Steven,

I would suggest you call Grizzly sales or technical support for clarification of technical specifications. They should be able to answer your questions.

Secondly, just because you are considering buying a tool, your calling out the owner of a company is a little presumptuous on your part don't you think?

Thirdly, a lack of plugs or power cords isn't unusual as manufacturers don't have a clue whether you are going to run 120vac or 240 vac or what type of plug you intend to use or meets your local code.

SMC isn't and shouldn't be used as a direct personal line to Shiraz Balolia or any other owner/executive officer of a company.

Matt Meiser
06-10-2012, 5:04 PM
I'd call the tech support number. They seem pretty knowledgeable. Someone even dug out an old print to look up a dimension or went out to the warehouse and found the part and measured for an $8 clearance power feeder base for me last year. Sales, as I would typically expect, pretty much are just order takers.

Plugs--check out eBay. I just bought some Hubbel branded twist lock plugs and receptacles for a fraction of big box pricing from a seller with tons of positive feedback. Also got some straight bladed imports that are nicer than most of the big box ones, again for a lot less.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2012, 5:11 PM
Steven,

First.....you didn't state previously that you had contacted Grizzly before posting here. This is the first time you have mentioned it.

2ndly, a little research on my part showed that different part numbers for motors is different models. In one case it also stated in the owners manual the only difference between it and the base model was a magnetic brake which one could easily assume that it would require a different motor.

Rick Fisher
06-10-2012, 5:41 PM
I also would find out whats in stock ..

Jack Wilson
06-10-2012, 5:55 PM
I have the 513X2, bought it less than a month ago, I wanted to go into the 514 line, but it was the tent sale and this was all that was left. The trunion itself has a geared mechanism to tilt the table, but nothing like the large table adjustment to which you are refering. I wouldn't refer to my fence as "deluxe". It is cast iron, and I do have the tall extruded aluminum resaw attachment. As far as some of the other confusions...welcome to the club! Some of their pricing structure makes no sense, so yeah, you get left wondering, which ends up?

James White
06-10-2012, 7:35 PM
I've been seriously looking over the specs of the grizzly G0513 17" and G0514 19" bandsaws trying to decide on which to order, and I'm finding comparing the specs within those product lines to be very difficult.

The ones I'm considering are the 513X2, 513X2BF, 513X2F, 513X2B, 514X, 514XF, 514X2, and 514X2B.

Things I've found that I'm hoping to get clarification on:

1. According to the 2012 bandsaw comparison, only the 514X2B has the geared rack and pinion table adjust. However, according to the downloadable spec sheets, all have "micro-adjusting gear table tilt". I've read that that table tilting feature is very nice, so I'd love to know for CERTAIN which of the models have it.

2. In the spec sheets, all 513 models list 10 amps drawn at 220 volts, except the 513X2B which lists 8.7 amps. Does it actually have a different motor than the others?

3. In the spec sheets, all 514 models list 12 amps drawn at 220 volts, except the 514Xf, which list 16 amps. Does it actually have a different motor than the others?

4. Are the fences on all exactly the same? They are just listed as "Deluxe cast iron with extruded aluminum resaw attachment".

5. Is the only difference between the 514XF and the 514X2 that the 514XF doesn't have the cast iron trunnion? The price difference is $155, while the upgrade trunnion is only $89. This makes me think I must be missing a difference.

6. It looks like the 514XF is precisely a 514X plus a foot brake, but since it is $155 less (instead of more), I again feel I must be missing something.

7. The inclusion of a power cord and a plug seems to vary a great deal across these (based on the spec sheets), and that certainly matters in comparing prices (if it really is true that some have them and others don't) since a plug will cost around $20 and a cord around $10. $30 eats up a big chunk of some of the small price differences between some of these models. However, one of them, the 513X2F, says a 6 ft cord is included, but then recommends two different wire gauges based on whether you run it 120 or 220 volt (which makes since, but makes me think perhaps a cord isn't included).

I'm hoping someone very familiar with the Grizzly bandsaw line might be able to clear all of this up for me.

Shiraz: Perhaps you can clear all this up, I've noticed from past postings that you seem very familiar with the bandsaws, and I remember you were a big proponent of that geared adjusting table. If you are too busy to respond to all of this, perhaps you can suggest someone at Grizzly I can call who would be extremely versed on these specs?

Thanks

I didn't see anything out of line with your post. Shiraz is active here and I don't think he minds answering questions of this nature. All the options are confusing. The best way to get your answers will be talking to Grizzly tech support. If the tech you get is unable to answer all of your questions he will open a ticket to have someone call you back.

They all have the gear adjust on the trunion. But some have the tilt arm you are referring to.

I think you should go for the most features on the biggest saw you can afford. This is something you will use for years to come. However if money is tight any one of these options will get the job done.

Larger table, electric brake and cast iron trunions all just make your machine that much sweeter.

James

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 7:39 PM
showed that different part numbers for motors is different models. In one case it also stated in the owners manual the only difference between it and the base model was a magnetic brake which one could easily assume that it would require a different motor.

It didn't occur to me to check part numbers to determine whether the motors were the same, thanks for the advise.

Also, you mentioned that the brake probably requires a different motor. I don't know how the brakes work, so I didn't know that. Are they integral to the motor?

Would you expect, even though both are rated 2hp, that the one listed to draw 8.7 amps must be less powerful (enough to matter) than the one that draws 10? Or do you think that would be trivial in real world performance? Conversely, in the case of the 3hp motors on the 514, do you expect that the one rated at 16 amps would actually be much more powerful than the one rated at 12 amps?

Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2012, 8:17 PM
Steven,

It depends on the type of motor as to what type of brake they have.

Some motors can have a purely electrical brake. A reverse current is applied to the motor to bring it to a stop.

Some motors have an electrical/mechanical brake that works similar to disc brakes on a car. When the motor is energized, the brake is released and the motor is allowed to turn. When power is cut, a relay drops out, allowing the brake to engage. These type of brakes would require a different motor shaft arrangement.

In either case, the two motors would most likely be different.

The current differences....gets a little complicated because of motor efficiency differences. Frankly, it's been nearly 40 years since I studied that stuff but basically you can have 2 different motors with the same HP rating and each one with a different operating current due to motor efficiency differences.

Those type of questions really would be better answered by the Grizzly technical support people.

Good luck with your bandsaw purchase.

Van Huskey
06-10-2012, 9:08 PM
First figuring out the 513/514 line can be confusing, bottom line do you know what you WANT or are you just tossing them all around trying to figure out what you want? In the last couple of years more money doesn't mean more features from Grizzly, they have had a lot of intro and sale pricing which confuses matter further.

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 9:19 PM
I've just about decided I do want to go with the 514 line. I'd like to be able to do a good bit of resawing and even milling of logs. I feel like the 3hp motor would be a nice thing to have, and I do not want to later wish I had gotten it. I've bought tools in the past that were "good enough" with no headroom, and ended up replacing them with better stuff later. That is a far more expensive proposition then spending 20% more on the initial purchase.

I also figured I may hold onto my current 14" bandsaw for a while in case I decide the 19" is overkill for scroll type cutting, possibly using the 14" as a dedicated to scroll cutting machine and the 19" as a dedicated to resaw/milling machine.

So, I'm mostly now just trying to sort out the details of the 514s and figure out which one to order. At the moment, the 514X2 is looking pretty good. After someone above's comment about the tilt, I went back and looked at the pictures again and think I "get it" now. The nicer tilt has the arm with a handwheel to set the table, that certainly looks nice. The comparison chart indicated the 514X2 doesn't have this, but the manual seems to indicate otherwise, as does the picture. Of course, if I do end up only using it for resawing, I suppose table tilt would be pretty rarely used. Any thoughts on this?

Van Huskey
06-10-2012, 9:33 PM
I think the 514x2 is my favorite of the 514 line. It has a foot brake which I prefer to a motor brake. It does not have the "big" rack and pinion tilt which I do like and it provides stability ALL THE TIME not just when the table is tilted. I would give that up for the foot brake IF I was not planning to mill a lot of HEAVY logs, then again if that is the case a bigger saw is in order...

Steven Triggs
06-10-2012, 9:50 PM
Van,
Are you saying the 514X2 does NOT have the better tilting setup (it looks to me in the picture like it does, but maybe I'm misunderstanding or maybe the picture is wrong)? I gather you are saying that the better tilt set up is nice even for re-sawing/milling because that long arm makes the table more stable?

Incidentally, the "logs" that I have in mind are generally 8-10" diameter and 3-4' long. The thought is that I'd do infrequent milling of such logs that I and my neighbors generate from time to time when doing yard cleanup. My expectation would be not one of production volume, but more of "oh that is cool, I made a few boards today out of that log instead of it being firewood" Is this too much to ask of a saw like this?
Thanks

James White
06-10-2012, 10:08 PM
The 514x2 that I have has the tilt arm. I think the chart just has a typo. I would definitely speak with Grizzly tech support though and have them document there answer if you want that tilt arm.

James

Shiraz Balolia
06-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Steven - I'll try and clear up some of the questions tomorrow. With over 12,000 products its hard to remember every detail.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Steven it appears to me that the G0514X2 and G0524X2B have the tilt feature you want. For kicks and giggles, I looked in the parts breakdown for the 514X2B. It has the magnetic motor brake and they show it in the parts breakdown. In the schematics they show it and it appears to be a DC magnetically energized motor brake. The brake assembly is an orderable part internal to the motor.

John Coloccia
06-10-2012, 11:18 PM
My 514X2 has the tilt arm. It is VERY solid. Generally, I've been happy with the saw. I wish it were a bit stiffer. I don't run anything larger than a 3/4" Woodslicer on it, and thicker blades is nothing past 1/2". I wasn't happy running a 1" Timberwolf at all.

Listen to my next comments carefully. I wish I had bought an Minimax MM16 for resawing and other straight line (or gentle curves), and a cheap, used whatever bandsaw for cutting out tighter patterns. As a low cost, one saw does everything, solution, the 514X2 is really hard to beat, but I find myself yearning for a very stiff, dedicated, resaw machine, and a smaller, dedicated, pattern cutting machine. If you have the cash or can get the cash (or find one used), seriously consider this option.

The 514X2 with the Woodslicer is a great combination. I resaw bookmatched parts very frequently, and it does a really great job. The Woodslicer blades go dull very quickly, especially slicing through exotics like I do. It is THIN, though, which will get me lots of extra pieces out of a billet, especially when I'm slicing off veneers that are .040 and less. It's a cheap blade, so I don't mind replacing it often...it saves me more than the blade costs over a more expensive, THICK, real resaw blade. With the 3/4" Woodslicer, it passes the nickel test, but won't with a 1" anything. Getting a 1" blade in and out of the machine is quite an experience too...it's very tight.

The bearing setup is not optimal for narrow blades, IMHO. I wish for cool blocks, or something like that, for 1/4" and under blades. Running an 1/8" blade on it is not really practical. The thinnest I run is 3/16". That's plenty narrow for anything I do, so no problem. I would imagine that's WAY narrower than most people would ever need to run. I make some tight cuts with my 3/16" blade....the bearings scream, but they should for tight cuts.

Anyhow, the 514X2 is quite a nice, functional bandsaw for not a lot of money, and I've found it to be pretty reliable. I don't find I have any drift problems at all unless my blade is dull. The tilting mechanism is STIFF. If you do a lot of work with logs, as you would if you're turning, that extra stiffness will come in handy. I wish the bandsaw itself were stiffer, but I'm frequently doing a lot of resawing because of the work I do. The bearing setup isn't great for small blades but it's functional. All in all, it's a lot of bandsaw for the money and it's quite usable, but don't expect Italian bandsaw performance because you wont get it. I DO think you will probably get the best bang for the buck out there, though.

FWIW, I use my 514 almost everyday, have for about 3 years now, and that's my experience with it. I think you'll have trouble finding something nicer in that price range.

Chuck Saunders
06-11-2012, 9:45 AM
Steven - I'll try and clear up some of the questions tomorrow. With over 12,000 products its hard to remember every detail.

Well gee Mr Balolia, all we ask is that you know every spec of every tool, every employees name and personality, and the history of every customer. Is that too much to ask?:D I think that I speak for all here at the creek that we appreciate the customer service attention that you provide, thank you.

Prashun Patel
06-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Steven-
I bought the G0514X2 on Van's counsel. I couldn't be happier.
I cut a decent amount of green wood on it up to 12" thick, and it's a champ.

I like the table tilting adjustment. It's the "beefier" of the two options. I too was confused at all the specs, but this one has the "better" option. It's super stable, which y'll appreciate if you ever cut heavy things on it.

The foot brake is fine. The blade takes forever to spin down, and being able to Fred Flinstone it into submission after powerdown is nice. Some are partial to this mechanical feature. I guess it's just one less thing to break.

I don't think y'll go wrong with any of them. Personally, though, I'd pick one with the extra table support.

I BELIEVE the diff btn the models is:

G0514XF = foot brake + no extra table support
G0514X = motor brake + no extra table support
G0514X2 = foot brake + extra table support
G0514X2B = motor brake + extra table support
G0514X3 = 3 phase motor

Shiraz Balolia
06-11-2012, 1:31 PM
Steven - as mentioned by a couple of actual owners, the G0514X2 does have the heavy duty geared table tilting and locking system. That spec. on the comparison chart is wrong and will be corrected soon.

The motor on the G0513Xb is different as it is a braking motor.

As far as a couple of posters insinuating that people have to wait a long time for these machines - you listed 8 different models of saws in your original post. Of these, 7 models are in stock at either our PA or MO facility or both, since that is where your order will be shipped from. We pride ourselves on the amount of inventory we keep, but there can be many issues that create a back order and I have posted about this matter in the past. The only model not in stock is the G0513X2BF.

As far as rigidity of these saws, the G0514 series is definitely the way to go. However, if you want extreme rigidity, there are two models (17" and 19") that were built for continuous heavy resawing type applications:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/102

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/105

For those guys cutting logs, there is also a cast iron extension table with support available:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10131

Hope the above information helps you make a decision.

Prashun Patel
06-11-2012, 1:45 PM
I will attest to the extreme wait time on the delivery of my G0514x2. I ordered it on Monday, it shipped Wednesday. I had it on Friday. I didn't have enough time to even prep my receiving area. THE NERVE!

They're big, and truth be told, not each cs or tech rep is completely knowledgeable. They ARE completely helpful and will help find the solution. I find that reasonable.

My only nitpick with the G0514 is that the door most be open 180 degrees to allow a blade change. Not a big deal, but it does require a mobile base if yr space challenged.

As for the mobile base, I highly suggest you make one yrself. Find a source for 10ft of 1x2 tube steel and get the Great Lakes casters. This makes a super stable base. I've heard bad things about the Shop Fox that is optional with these saws. I built mine and can't be happier.

Shiraz Balolia
06-11-2012, 3:44 PM
Prashun - thanks for the business.

The current breed of the Shop Fox mobile bases are much better. The issues have been resolved.

Regarding the doors - they lift right off, so there is no need to swing them a full 180 degrees if you are in tight quarters.

Prashun Patel
06-11-2012, 3:53 PM
Did not think of lifting the doors off. NICE.

Steven Triggs
06-11-2012, 5:05 PM
To all: Thanks for all the feedback and information.

Shiraz: Thank you very much for taking the time to clear this up. It was really nice of you to verify the table tilt feature. It looks like I'll be going with the G0514X2 after all.

Rick Fisher
06-12-2012, 5:19 AM
The shop fox bases sold today are much nicer than the ones 5 years ago .. I bought a 1000lb model today for a heavy edge sander .. It works like a champ.

Van Huskey
06-12-2012, 5:28 PM
Oops I did screw up, should have waited until I was at home with my notes. I took notes on the 513/514 line after one member bought a 514 that the website showed a picture with the geared extra support but that did not actually have it, that was corrected subsequently. I made the mistake of relying on the comparison chart which I didn't realize had errors in its most recent incarnation, I "knew" the 514X2 had it even when I was typing it, but what ever it is cleared up.

I think although the posts regarding wait time were hyperbolic it does make sense to check availability to ensure it meets ones schedule, more than once someone here decided on a particulary model only to find it was not currently available, that may or may not effect your buying decision. This happens with every importer of Asian machines.

The 514X2 is an excellent all around bandsaw which will handle light duty resawing well, if you expect to focus on resawing and do a lot of it, if your budegt allows there is a whole other realm of saws to consider, not the least of which old iron American saws and saws built by Italian companies like ACM, Agazzani and Cantauro.

John Coloccia
06-12-2012, 7:18 PM
Incidentally, I just put a new 3/4" Woodslicer on mine today, and it cuts through wood like hot butter through a knife. The 514X2 with the Woodslicer is a formidable thin veneer machine. I so wish the Woodslicer would stay sharper longer!

Steven Triggs
06-12-2012, 11:45 PM
John,
Just out of curiosity, how long would you estimate the Woodslicer goes before it is too dull to resaw well. I probably will go with the Woodslicer, and am wondering what I might expect. I know there are a lot of variables, but just as a very general ballpark, are we talking 10 linear ft of 9" wide oak, or 100 ft, or 1000, or whatever?

Thanks,
Steven

John Coloccia
06-13-2012, 1:52 AM
John,
Just out of curiosity, how long would you estimate the Woodslicer goes before it is too dull to resaw well. I probably will go with the Woodslicer, and am wondering what I might expect. I know there are a lot of variables, but just as a very general ballpark, are we talking 10 linear ft of 9" wide oak, or 100 ft, or 1000, or whatever?

Thanks,
Steven

You know, I'll be honest that I just never thought to track it. With my last one, I roughed out about 10 guitar neck blanks (mahogany), maybe 10 headstock veneers out of bocote, and another 25 or 30 headstock backstrap veneers out of walnut (these are .040" thick and the Woodslicer shines doing stuff like this). It also made countless other miscellaneous straight cuts just because it happened to be mounted in the machine at the time. I'm sure I've abused it cutting things like plywood too. I should really track it and maybe I will start to.