PDA

View Full Version : JessEm Mortise Mill

John M Wilson
06-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I got an email today from Jessem introducing their "Mortise Mill II".

It looks intriguing, especially for the introductory price of $69.99.

Here's a link: http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_Mortise_Mill_p/08200.htm

I know the earlier iterations of this jig have been discussed on this forum. Any thoughts on this new version?

Dan Rude
06-10-2012, 1:39 AM
I haven't used it yet, but I have the first generation of this one. Looks like they modified it to be more like its big brother. I paid their intro price for both of mine when Woodcraft clearanced them about 2 years ago. I figured I couldn't go wrong. I have only seen a couple of threads on them though, and haven't used them other than some test pieces.
Dan

Rick Potter
06-10-2012, 1:42 AM
Kinda works like a poor mans Domino crossed with a Beadlock system. Wonder how long that drill bit lasts?

Rick Potter

Myk Rian
06-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Boy. That one is a whole lot different from the first.

Carl Babel
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I have the first gen Pocket Mortise Mill. Like Dan, I got it on clearance from Woodcraft. I notice two big differences between the original and the new version:
1) Ease of use.
This new version looks much easier to use.
The original works well, but is a bit fussy to set up.
2) Technique.
New version video shows drilling a series of holes 1/4" apart, then doing side-to-side only at end.
Original video showed side-to-side from beginning, with slight downward pressure.
I would think that the new technique would mitigate any concerns over early bit failure.

I had been thinking about building a jig to assist with using my original version pocket mortise mill. Maybe I will just spring for the new version, instead. If I do, I will try to do a comparison thread.