PDA

View Full Version : Forgot the pre-conditioner! What now?

craig greene
06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I am a newby to finishing and have been building an entertainment center addition for my sister. It is built out of red birch ply and cherry. I just got the last piece on the table for finishing, prepped it and removed all the dust then forgot the pre-conditioner. :eek: As soon as I finished applying the first stain coat I realized this and immediately wiped it off until it was as dry as I could get it. Thankfully it did not blotch. So far I have pre-conditioned all the other pieces and this is the last piece and the biggest.
My question is, can I wait until the stain dries thoroughly and then pre-condition (post-condition now I suppose) and resume the staining? I'm afraid if I continue without any conditioner, it may blotch later on. And my number of coats and color will probably be different.
Here is what I’m working with: Red Birch ply, General Finish’s pre-conditioner, General Finish’s stain, and General Finish’s top coat. All are water based. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for any help in advance.
Craig

David Hawxhurst
06-09-2012, 1:06 PM
how are you applying the products?

craig greene
06-09-2012, 1:13 PM
I have been applying per the instructions on the can's and General's web site. Applying liberally with a foam brush and then wiping off.