PDA

View Full Version : which stubby lathe

sascha gast
04-03-2005, 11:51 PM
ok, i have sent the deposit for a stubby lathe, so far the S750 is it, but the 1000 kind of screams my name. this decision is not about the difference in money, the 750 is about $5200 the 1000 $6300, but this will be the last lathe i'll buy, both have advantages, i am not so interrested in the 40" with the pulled back lathe bed, but more for in the 20" over the bed. i know i won't turn 40" pieces a lot, but just knowing i can when the time is right. i never thought the 27" piece i have waiting to be turned would be an option. the 750 is somewhat more movable and has leveling feet, the 1000 is heavier and leveling feet could be mounted.
i still have a few days to decide, but we'll see, any comments from somebody who has used both would be helpful

sascha

Jim Becker
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Well...it's true that the S1000 offers 20" over the bed, but both models include the auxiliary bed (that can attach in about a half-dozen different places) and a second tool rest base which means you can pull the bed back to do larger objects without compromising your ability to get a tool rest close anywhere on the piece, front and back even though you have a large gap.

But who am I to discourage you from the S1000? I would have bought it if I thought I could have got it off the back of my truck safety...but that one-piece base was too much for me to handle, at least in my mind at the time. Either model will be an incredible addition to your shop, Sascha. Bill's doing a good job with the distribution, too...gotta love a guy coming out of retirement and doing what was necessary to get these fine machines back to availability despite the horrible exchange rates and steel prices!

sascha gast
04-05-2005, 12:52 AM
the verdict is in, it'll be the 1000, i just one this to be my last lathe, well for now anyway,hehe

sascha

Jim Becker
04-05-2005, 8:39 AM
the verdict is in, it'll be the 1000, i just one this to be my last lathe, well for now anyway,hehe

Excellent choice, my friend... ;) ...so...are you going for the 3hp, too?? :D (Argh, argh, argh...)

sascha gast
04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
actually 2 hp, recommended by bill, he says the 3hp gets more belt slipping.

sascha