PDA

View Full Version : Creation of Adam Collaboration

Jeff Myroup
06-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Bob Bergstrom and I have been collaborating on this bowl for a few months. We are still discussing the rim treatment. We have talked about darkening the bead around the rim. We are leaning toward just leaving it as is, and allowing the shadow line created by the under cut rim to frame the Pyrography. What do you think? I would like to use photoshop on it, but I don't have it on the new computer. :(

Bob Bergstrom
06-09-2012, 5:10 PM
I thought about colors, but it might fit the theme of this piece to cover the bead with gold leaf. I'm sure there had to be some that type of similar adornment used in the time was the original was painted.

Ron Bontz
06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Pretty impressive. My compliments.

John Keeton
06-10-2012, 6:33 AM
Jeff, it appears you already have some finish on and I assume that limits the possibilities. What about masking off the middle (image) starting on the inside of the bead. Then airbrush a dark (brown with a bit of black?) fade on the bead and rim -fade to nothing about 1/2 to 2/3 out on the rim. That would/should match the color of the burn, add some contrast, yet not compete with the image. As Bob suggested, one could also apply some spotty gold leaf to the bead. I would want it aged looking - perhaps not patinated, but spotty enough to appear as though some had been lost over the ages.

I do think the rim needs something, but not much. In your dog plates, the image is centered and has a clear border prior to the rim. The leaf applications don't fight the image. In this one, with the image going to the rim, I am not sure I would care for much of a leaf application.

Just my thoughts.

Thom Sturgill
06-10-2012, 7:57 AM
Jeff, darkening the bead _would_ produce a visual stop to the inside, and might enhance the piece. Like you, I would like to see that photoshopped befor commiting myself. Whatever you do, do not lose the burl and grain on the rim!!

Jeff Myroup
06-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Jeff, it appears you already have some finish on and I assume that limits the possibilities. What about masking off the middle (image) starting on the inside of the bead. Then airbrush a dark (brown with a bit of black?) fade on the bead and rim -fade to nothing about 1/2 to 2/3 out on the rim. That would/should match the color of the burn, add some contrast, yet not compete with the image. As Bob suggested, one could also apply some spotty gold leaf to the bead. I would want it aged looking - perhaps not patinated, but spotty enough to appear as though some had been lost over the ages.

I do think the rim needs something, but not much. In your dog plates, the image is centered and has a clear border prior to the rim. The leaf applications don't fight the image. In this one, with the image going to the rim, I am not sure I would care for much of a leaf application.

Just my thoughts.

It does have a few coats of lacquer on it. I like the idea for the gold leaf, and I also agree that a solid band of gold would not look right. The rim has some nice grain that we really don't want to cover. To paraphrase Leonardo: great art is never finished, only abandoned. I am about to that point.

Jeff Myroup
06-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Jeff, darkening the bead _would_ produce a visual stop to the inside, and might enhance the piece. Like you, I would like to see that photoshopped befor commiting myself. Whatever you do, do not lose the burl and grain on the rim!!

That is kind of were we are at Thom. I just don't have the photoshop skills to do it. Once my wife gets home from Dallas, I will have her do it for me. I do really think we need to do something to the bead, and leave the rest of the rim as is

Michelle Rich
06-11-2012, 9:55 AM
I Like as is..you are a talented burner

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I like it as is Jeff. Really nice burning.