PDA

View Full Version : GFCI protected outlets.

Doug Fries
06-09-2012, 8:27 AM
In a recent thread it was mentioned that a GFCI can affect performance of a lathe. I just wondered what the issue is with plugging equipment into a GFCI protected outlet? Most of the outlets in my garage are protected so I thought I would ask the experts.

Ron Natalie
06-09-2012, 8:51 AM
If you're on any recent version of the code, all the 120V 15 and 20A receptacles in a garage that has the floor at or below grade MUST be GFCI.

I missed the other thread, but the only real issue with a GFCI is an occasional nuisance trip. All of my shop receptacles are GFCI (not strictly required in my case in my opinion but the builder put them in anyhow). I've not had a problem. The technology has improved a lot over the years.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2012, 9:33 AM
All of my 120 vac outlets in my standalone shop are protected by GFCIs and I haven't had a problem.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2012, 9:53 AM
Doug - the only problems I have ever heard of when dealing with GFCI has been with lathes that use VFD. Something about starting the lathe that creates a spike or something that can trip the GFCI. In those cases, changing the GFCI out for a standard outlet solved the problem.

ray hampton
06-09-2012, 3:03 PM
[QUOTE=Ron Natalie;1939455]If you're on any recent version of the code, all the 120V 15 and 20A receptacles in a garage that has the floor at or below grade MUST be GFCI.

are this code refering to a poured flood ? if we pour concrete floor above the grade [second floor] can we get away without GFCI outlets

Ed Morgano
06-09-2012, 3:13 PM
Ray,
Not sure what you mean by 2nd floor, but if the concrete is touching the ground, then it's at grade. If it's completely off the ground then it would be above grade and you wouldn't have to use ground fault protection.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-09-2012, 4:02 PM
Although I'm not an expert, If your shop is in the garage, I'd think twice about removing the GFCI. It's there for your protection. If you take it out, you'll remove the protection of the outlets downstream as well. Usually there is only 1 GFCI which trips all the outlets. I'd run a seperate unprotected outlet. If that's the only outlet on that line, of course the point is moot. Turn off the breaker and see what you lose.

Just my $0.02.

ray hampton
06-09-2012, 5:19 PM
Ray,
Not sure what you mean by 2nd floor, but if the concrete is touching the ground, then it's at grade. If it's completely off the ground then it would be above grade and you wouldn't have to use ground fault protection.

I understand the code but the footer touch the earth , the wall and concrete floor will still be grounded to the footer if I am not mistaken

Ron Natalie
06-09-2012, 5:58 PM
I've got poured floors on the first and second floors (not at grade) but they are not my garage.

Tom Wilson66
06-09-2012, 8:52 PM
I had a problem with it popping when I had my lathe plugged directly into the GFCI, but when I put it on a plug "downstream" from the GFCI, the problem went away.

Clint Baxter
06-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a Nova DVR and had definite issues when I tried to run the lathe on a 110V circuit protected by a 20A GFCI protected outlet. The lathe would sometimes run, but seemed to always, eventually, trip the GFCI. I switched to 220V and use now a dedicated circuit for the lathe. Biggest pain was getting the Surge Arrestor for that circuit. Went with a surge arrestor that protects the whole panel and everything is now golden.

Clint

Ron Natalie
06-10-2012, 8:33 AM
By the way, your an get naked MOVs at Radio Snack if you want to protect a tool directly. I use these all over to protect my irrigation system that got zapped prior...

Doug Fries
06-10-2012, 8:55 AM
Thank you for all of the info. I have not experienced any trouble with the GFCI tripping, but was concerned that the GFCI might somehow damage the VFD on the lathe that I recently bought. It appears that I was worried for nothing.

Once again I thank you for the insight.

Ron Natalie
06-11-2012, 1:16 PM
The GFCI does nothing to the electricity. It's not even connected to it directly really. The wires are wrapped around a toroid with the sense wires of the GFCI and which moves a mechanical switch when it senses an imbalance.