PDA

View Full Version : Favorite wood for finials

Eric Gourieux
06-09-2012, 1:18 AM
I've been working on refining my finials and wondered what you're preferred wood is to turn finials. So far, my favorite is holly.

What's your favorite wood for turninga finial?

D

John Keeton
06-09-2012, 6:14 AM
Holly is good, and I use it a lot, but African Blackwood is, by far, the best I have found - hard, dense, holds detail, cuts clean with sharp tools, and looks great. There are others that turn well, including cocobolo, but the color is a consideration for me. I usually prefer white holly, or black, though I have used walnut, too, when the color was required for continuity. The open grain of the walnut can be an issue.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2012, 9:44 AM
I've used Maple, Cherry, Walnut and even acrylic but have to agree with John - African Blackwood works best!

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
I also have used Cherry, walnut, Maple, holly and my favorite african blackwood.

Scott Hackler
06-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Hands down, African Blackwood. Super dense and stable at very small diameters.

Ron Bontz
06-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Oh sure. Now you guys are gong to make me go out and buy so African Blackwood somewhere. Has any of you tried Bubinga? I was thinking a small Bubinga and Maple vessel.

Thom Sturgill
06-10-2012, 8:16 AM
I've used bubinga on a few finials and stems for small goblets (more like a white wine flute). Works fine for me. I've also used hard maple and ebony, but not blackwood. Persimmon should work well too, its a cousin to ebony and is native, I want to try it, but I have not gotten any yet.

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I seem to be in the much smaller camp comprised of those who do not have an aversion to turning ebony. I have never used blackwood so I cannot offer a comparison. Ebony is brittle but it is no problem to turn and I love the way ebony polishes. I have used bubinga for pedestals and stems when I plan on using red in the color scheme. But watch out for the figured stuff if you are turning thin...