PDA

View Full Version : Gramercy Bow Saw in Yew - Liogier Rasp test drive

Dave Beauchesne
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Well, after Chris Griggs made a bow saw from the Gramercy kit out of Yew, I had the urge to do the same.

The Woodworkers Guild I belong to has an annual 2 x 4 contest in which the piece must be made out of a SOFTWOOD 2 x 4 ( x 8 feet long )
Personally, I am not a softwood fan, but Yew is an uncommon species that fits the bill, so I use it for the purposes of the contest.
I also like making my own tools, another plus. Yew has the right tenacity for a project such as this, so here goes -

The piece of Yew I yewsed ( that was for you Chris ) was particularily light colored - it is usually more orange. Finding stock that doesn't have pin knots in it that may comprimise the arms is another task. I burned up over half the 2 x 4 getting rid of inclusions, defects etc., but got sufficient stock to do the job. You can see on the handle photos the swirling nature of Yew - it is unique to be sure.

I turned the handles and toggle on my Delta Midi-lathe, and roughed the curves out with my 14'' Delta clone; the rest was done with a dovetail saw, japanese pull saw, egg beater, spoke shave, card scraper, a couple of my LN chisels, my sweet little LN 102, and the star of the show, my newly aquired Liogier LH handle rasp. Yew is stringy - everthing has to be real sharp - the rasp performed very well.

Using the rasp was an EXTREME treat; the curved surfaces near the handles were next to effortless - it was like the rasp knew what it was doing - certainly not the driver of said tool - it was very intuitive. That experience has got me thinking saw handles down the road - - - -

A very well done video ( can't recall the gentleman's name ) that is on the Gramercy site for the saw was informative, but, here is where I like the Neander thing - he went into great detail on putting the tapers on the toggle - made a jig, secured it, bandsaws the taper on one side, fiddles around to do the other side and then smooths them out - a long and drawn out process - I pulled the toggle off the lathe, grabbed the 102 after eyeing and drawing a couple lines on the toggle, a bunch of strokes later and not much more time than it took to type this, and it was done !!

One stupid thing I did was use 3M spray adhesive to attach the photocopied pattern to the wood - I have done this in the past a couple other times, but finished the project fairly quickly and it was no trouble getting the pattern off - Welllll, this time I let it sit for a couple months while waiting for the shipment from France - it was like some molecular bond from another dimension took hold - a sharp card scraper liberated the pattern and underlying glue with some effort - at least the finish took well.

The finish is grated bees wax dissolved in mineral spirits, the twine I used is waxed nylon ( I think ) that my retired telephone company buddy gave me - it is quite flat, and they used to use it to tie and bundle the hundreds of telephone wires together - strong as heck, I like waxed twines anyway, but you have to know how to tie the knots - a couple of bowlines did the trick.

Installed the brass rods in the handles with some epoxy, assembled it and let it sit under slight tension overnight - torqued it up the next day and it cuts like a hot knife thru butter!! In the end, it is one of those things I won't use all that much, but it will have its place - and it is always with pride that I look at something I made and am able to really use.

Feel free to add your two cents worth -

Thanks for looking.

Dave Beauchesne

Chris Griggs
06-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Dave, that looks fantastic. Wow! The yew you used is much lighter in color than the stuff you sent me. Such a great material for a bowsaw. I still get excited every time I look at mine and think about what cool wood it's made of. Such a great tool to have around too. The Gramercy design is functionally terrific and looks nice too. I like your shaping - nice and crisp.

Great work. I know you'll enjoy using it even more than you enjoyed making it! I'm so proud of yew!

Dave Beauchesne
06-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Chris:

Thanks for the kind words - your effort spurred me on - it was a fun build to be sure -

Dave B

Sean D Evans
06-09-2012, 1:36 AM
Nice saw. I've been looking at those lately because I need something like that for dovetails. Currently I just chop the waste out. How do you think a saw like that would work for dovetails?

Also, we live in the same area. What's the name of the guild you built that for?

Klaus Kretschmar
06-09-2012, 4:45 AM
Very very beautiful, Dave!

I'm a huge fan of Yew wood as mentioned already in other threads. To use it for a bow saw is the perfect choice. Those little knots don't decrease the strength of the wood but add a lot of beauty to my eyes. This wood shows a lot of life for sure.

The saw looks very well made. The dimensions and the shape are balanced as it should be. The blendings of the shape look terrific, obviously the Liogier rasp did an amazingly good job. I'm looking forward myself to get soon my first Liogier rasp since a few days ago I got a message from Noel that it was shipped. Reading your comments makes me even more curious.

Beautiful saw, many congrats!

Cheers
Klaus

george wilson
06-09-2012, 9:57 AM
I love yew wood,too. It carves so beautifully.

Chris Griggs
06-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Nice saw. I've been looking at those lately because I need something like that for dovetails. Currently I just chop the waste out. How do you think a saw like that would work for dovetails?

It will work, the blades are the same width as a coping saw, but I don't use mine for that. I prefer a plain old coping saw for dovetail waste - a lot of folks like using fret saws too.

Dave Beauchesne
06-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Klaus:

Coming from you, I take your words as a very high complement -

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it -

Dave B

Dave Beauchesne
06-09-2012, 11:03 AM
George:

If you haven't already, put your name in the Free Stuff draw for a couple chunks of yew -

Dave B

george wilson
06-09-2012, 3:20 PM
Where is the free stuff draw???

Tony Shea
06-09-2012, 7:20 PM
Great job Dave. I also made this same saw out of pearwood and the saw has held up wonderfully. It is a great feeling saw that I use whenever I can.

One suggestion that worked great when I built this saw is about the 3M adhesive. I read this tip somewhere but do not remember where. I applied blue painter's tape on three sides on each piece of wood. Then sprayed the face with 3M Super 77 on the blue painter's tape. Then I applied the patern to this. Once I needed to remove the pattern all I had to do is remove the blue painter's tape and not deal with any of the Super 77 on the wood. Before I did all the cutting I took off the painter's tape from the edges of each piece. This was just applied to block the overspray of the Super 77.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-09-2012, 8:25 PM
Now I'm realizing I need to finish mine. At least smooth out all the toolmarks.

I'm thinking I should have gone with the Gramercy design instead of whatever I ended up with.

George - The free stuff drawings are another sub-forum here on Sawmillcreek. I didn't realize they existed before, either. I don't venture out reading far from the Neanderthal haven much.

This (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?16-FreeStuff-Drawings!) link should take you to that forum, or go to the list of forums from the main page here at SMC. I think Dave's thread is the second one down that page right now. Just reply to that thread to be entered for the drawing, I guess.

Dave Beauchesne
06-10-2012, 9:51 PM
Great job Dave. I also made this same saw out of pearwood and the saw has held up wonderfully. It is a great feeling saw that I use whenever I can.

Tony: You got a real nice finish on the saw - the facets on the cross piece show up nicely - mine are present, but the slightly dull bee's wax finish and lighting don't show them at all.
I have a nice slab of pear - hope to do something with it soon -
Thanks for the kind words -

Dave Beauchesne

Dave Beauchesne
06-10-2012, 9:53 PM
Joshua:

Don't question what was done - it looks fine and I assume that it functions - 'nuff said!

Dave B

Chris Griggs
06-11-2012, 9:32 AM
I'm thinking I should have gone with the Gramercy design instead of whatever I ended up with.

Your nuts! Your'e design is awesome. It looks like the one that the guy in the Woodwrights Shop made. Way more unique than all the carbon copies of the Gramercy out there, that most folks (myself included) made. I love the Gramercy design, but I think its cooler that you went about doing your own thing.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I started will Will Anderson's design in PWW and kind of winged it from there - decided against his toggle and whorl design, because it felt a little top heavy, and I didn't want to thin down the arms above the stretcher anymore because I made it out of scraps of birch and didn't have any quartersawn material handy. The designs in PWW were a little frustrating, because the measurements didn't scale any of the pieces well - I started by blowing up the individual pieces in the layout and taping patterns in place, when I realized if I blew up the profile of the arms scaled so the width would match the given numbers, the length would be off, etc. Tried blowing up the photos and couldn't make those jive either, so I just kind of winged it. Sort of a hybrid of the Gramercy and Anderson designs. Needs a lot of clean up, the toggle needs to be shortened a bit, and I need to fine tune the lin (and probably replace the yellow masonry cord) trying to get it set up so it ends up at the right tension at a whole number of turns, I shortened it enough I can't quite loosen it enough to get the blades out without flexing the frame - I'd like it to be able to be set a little looser in use so I can leave it assembled when not using it. Think I need to move the little curve for your index finger a little closer to the handle.

Would have been easier with an incannel gouge, but the whole project was pretty much rasp free.

It's funny how much smaller it looks with the curved arms - the blade length is obviously the same (although the brass on mine is buried a little deeper) but it just looks smaller in photos.