PDA

View Full Version : Source for old tool parts?

Kenneth Speed
06-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm looking for a replacement tote for a Disston-D-95 saw. The Disstonite tote, sort of Disston's version of the Buck Rogers tools. Are there any old tool vendors that sell parts?

David Young
06-09-2012, 5:33 PM
Bummer, last week i passed on a D-95 with a great tote but a used up plate that was priced $1.
David

Joe Bailey
06-10-2012, 12:38 AM
I don't know of any top line sellers regularly selling saw parts.
(though you'll often see medallions/fasteners being offered in on-line auctions)
I think your best bet is to watch that auction site for a saw like that described by David.

Bruce Haugen
06-10-2012, 1:45 AM
you could try Walt Quadrato (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/),

Patrick Leach (leach@supertool.com), or

Liberty Tool (http://www.jonesport-wood.com/libertytool.html), among others.

Jim Koepke
06-10-2012, 1:48 PM
My experience with saw totes is the holes from saw to saw do not line up.

I have no idea what a D-95 handle looks like. I just looked at ebay listing, I will see if one of the saw handles in my accumulation looks similar and we can go from there.

Otherwise, you might want to make one yourself. After putting it off for a few years, I made one that I am very pleased to have done.

jtk

Kenneth Speed
06-11-2012, 8:16 AM
Jim said, "My experience with saw totes is the holes from saw to saw do not line up." Yes, you're correct except these particular D-95 saws had totes made of Disstonite (plastic) and were molded. I think they were a marketing attempt by Disston to modernize hand tools like the Buck Rogers planes that Miller's Falls made. In any case, I would expect the drilling pattern would be standard in this case. These weren't considered second rate saws and I'm trying to refurbish it so making a wooden tote wouldn't do the job.

I suspect I will eventually make a wooden tote for some saw or another some time

Ken

Kenneth Speed
06-11-2012, 8:17 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your suggestions and commiseration. If I'm able to restore the saw, I'll see if I can post pictures of it here.

Ken

Joe Bailey
06-11-2012, 9:50 AM
found on auction site -- this may well be your handle - albeit in a different color: item #

Jim Koepke
06-11-2012, 11:59 AM
these particular D-95 saws had totes made of Disstonite (plastic) and were molded.

That is probably why I couldn't find one in my spares box.

jtk

Jim Koepke
06-11-2012, 12:01 PM
found on auction site -- this may well be your handle - albeit in a different color: item #221043248421

The D-95s I saw on ebay have five fasteners.

jtk

Kenneth Speed
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Yup, I spotted one too.

Jim, I'm learning about handsaw, not an expert, but it appears that Disston used the D-95 model no. for several different saws at different times. I suspect that the plastic handled saws weren't very well received and Disston returned to wood handles. I believe the wood handled saws had five screw while the plastic handled one had four screw virtually in a row.

I read that while many handsaw users/ collectors turn their noses up at these saws that they were good saws and well engineered. I was able to buy the one I'm trying to repair with a bunch of other saws. If I'm successful in getting a new handle I can find out how the saws perform. I think curiosity is one of my curses.

Ken

Kenneth Speed
06-13-2012, 6:28 PM
Gentlemen, I think I snagged the one Joe Bailey mentioned. I'll see if I can put together some pictures as things progress.

Thanks everybody,

Ken

Don Orr
06-15-2012, 1:35 PM
I don't have a spare, but I found D-95 at a garage sale a few years back for the handsome fee of $2. The lady selling it asked me "You gonna paint on that?" I tried to explain that it's actually a usable tool but she didn't quite get it. I have yet to clean it up though.

Kenneth Speed
06-15-2012, 4:17 PM
Yes, I've gotten some superb saws from people who thought the only use for them is as "canvases" for bad paintings. One of the first old saws I bought turned out to be a really beautiful Richardson Brothers saw and the guy i bought it from asked me the same question. "You gonna paint on that?"

Ken

Kenneth Speed
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Yesterday I received my replacement tote for the Disston saw. I also got two other saws with it, one other plastic handled Disston,very Buck Rogers style, with a hibeously bent blade and a very usable tree limb saw.

I took before pictures of the saw I'm planning to restore and will post before and after pictures here when I have the blade cleaned up.

There is a Peter Niederberger 415-924-8403 pniederber@aol.com who advertises that he deals in old tools and parts in Fine Woodworking but I haven't dealt with him and can't comment on him in any way.

Ken

Jim Koepke
06-22-2012, 1:22 PM
I have dealt with him. He used to sell often on ebay. Some of his stuff is great at good prices, some is not so great at not so great prices.

jtk