PDA

View Full Version : Response to John Keeton on the use of Acrylic paints

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-08-2012, 6:41 PM
Joe, you are entirely correct! If I could get the effects I want with acrylics (probably could with some good instruction from you!) I would switch. I have done a little acrylic with an airbrush, and it applies well. I think I would prefer the more translucent colors so the wood could show through a bit. Perhaps you could do a thread on your process and share with us?

John, I am by no means qualified to teach airbrushing. I'm still learning myself. There are some good web sites & video's that show some good basic techniques available on the web.
Using acrylic's is probably a lot like learning to use dyes. You just have to do it & see how it comes out. I often use a combination of both transparent & opaques in different layers. You can do a lot by adding layers of different colors, using both the transparent & opaque acrylics.
The colors can be mixed & you can get all kinds of custom colors. The transparent colors will allow the grain to show through.
When experimenting with airbrushing acrylics be sure to use a good sealer under them. That way its easy so sand off & start over if you don't like the color or effects your getting The other important thing is to use a High Quality Acrylic paint, not the cheap hobby acrylic's. There is a HUGE difference between them.
So John go get yourself a some High Quality transparent & opaques, in several colors and also a pearlisant base. And start playing, I think you'll be surprise on what can be achieved.
If you've ever been around many motorcycles you've probably seen some pretty amazing airbrush art.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-08-2012, 6:46 PM
I forgot to mention to be prepared for a little sticker shock on the prices for the High Quality acrylic's. They can really add up as you start to accumulate 20 or more colors.

John Keeton
06-08-2012, 7:57 PM
Thanks, Joe!!! Do you have some preferred brands? I did purchase some of David Nittman's paints while at AAW in St. Paul (forgot the brand) and have used a couple of them for very simple tasks - just the blue and black. You are right - big difference in the quality and finished product. I may give this a try.

Mike Golka
06-08-2012, 9:15 PM
Check out some of Brian McEvoy's work on his web site. He is a member of the same turning club as me and did a demo last year for us. He uses acrylics extensively.
http://onegoodturn.ca/

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-08-2012, 9:59 PM
John, I only use GOLDEN brand acrylic's. This was the brand specifically mentioned as a example of a High Quality acrylic in the Smithsonian DVD I saw.
I understand the Com-Art, by Iwata is also a high pigment high quality paint as well.
Here's a link to a good supplier of both & also other brands as well. http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/
Here's Golden's web site, lots of good information here. http://www.goldenpaints.com/
You may also want to check out Wicked automotive Air brush paints. Although I'm not sure if there acrylic's or not, I've seen some really cool motorcycles air brushed with them.

John Keeton
06-09-2012, 6:26 AM
Joe, thanks for the links, and Mike, I think I recall seeing some of Brian's work at the St. Paul symposium last year. He does some awesome work! And, uses a huge hollowing system as I recall.

I just checked the brand of the paints sold by Nittman - Grex. They seemed to work well, but I do recall Golden being mentioned in prior discussions about acrylics.

Baxter Smith
06-09-2012, 7:11 AM
joeyrichardson.com also recommends the golden acrylic transparent for airbrushing. A ten pack is available. Will have to wait a few more hours to find out what Brian McEvoy recommends on deep hollowing.;):)

Jeff Myroup
06-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I get all my acrylics and airbrush supplies from TCP Global. I use the Wicked colors along with some of the high end Createx.

Rick Markham
06-09-2012, 1:24 PM
John, I only use GOLDEN brand acrylic's. This was the brand specifically mentioned as a example of a High Quality acrylic in the Smithsonian DVD I saw.
I understand the Com-Art, by Iwata is also a high pigment high quality paint as well.
Here's a link to a good supplier of both & also other brands as well. http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/
Here's Golden's web site, lots of good information here. http://www.goldenpaints.com/
You may also want to check out Wicked automotive Air brush paints. Although I'm not sure if there acrylic's or not, I've seen some really cool motorcycles air brushed with them.

The wicked Air brush paints are made by the same company that makes the Iwata Com-Art acrylics, I've used the Com-Art, but not the Wicked. The Com-Art is nice stuff, I would highly doubt that the Wicked colors are any different quality wise.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-09-2012, 5:46 PM
The wicked Air brush paints are made by the same company that makes the Iwata Com-Art acrylics, I've used the Com-Art, but not the Wicked. The Com-Art is nice stuff, I would highly doubt that the Wicked colors are any different quality wise.

Rick, small corection, the Wicked paints, are actually made by the Createx not Com-Art.

Rick Markham
06-10-2012, 3:33 AM
Rick, small corection, the Wicked paints, are actually made by the Createx not Com-Art.

:o Whoops! Sorry! My confusion is a result of having the Com-Art and the Createx paints. I've mostly only used the createx paints and they are top notch. So the Wicked paints I'm sure are just as nice. Stuff sprays amazing out of the airbrush, and their primary Red Yellow and Blue, are actually primary colors, so you can actually mix nearly anything you want with just those (black and white too). I've got both the transparent and opaques. The stuff is expensive, but if you are planning on doing detail work with an airbrush nothing beats the stuff spraying perfectly every time. I haven't tried using any on my turnings, but sounds like fun to me!