PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine, Sharp Fast, Tormek and Geiger

Jon Murphy
06-08-2012, 12:17 AM
A rather inclusive Title, but there is a reason. I've read the threads on the various systems, and the Geiger True-n-Dress and I have multiple questions.

Here is my situation, I am now in a very small shop (my bedroom, and an article is in the works for the AAW Journal). For years I've used the Tormek jigs on a Jet slow/wet (they fit the Jet), and a dry grinder for shaping. I no longer have the space for a multiple grinder system. I recently went to the Woodcraft 8" slow grinder, and set up the Tormek bench grinder kit on one wheel. The problem has been truing the wheels. I just got the Geiger True-n-Dress, and the Wolverine "platform rest kit" for the other wheel. It works great, but on my "Tormek wheel" I used the Tormek mount and platform rest (cutting a half inch off it for fit the Geiger dimensions).

There is a problem with truing a wheel on the Tormek mount, there is a bit of flexibility in the horizontal arm that is the platform (and tool jig) support. That slight flex is not a problem at 90 rpm on the slow/wet, but it becomes on on a 1725 rpm dry wheel. I ordered another Wolverine base so I can do my truing on both wheels with the Wolverine platform.

For those who advocate the Tormek bench mount system, I have found it to work well, other than for the truing. It is a Catch 22, the uneven wheel bounces and the flexibility of the arm bounces with it. Once trued I think this system will work well with the Tormek mount and jigs as the vibration of the wheel will be gone. But despite my love of my Tormek jigs I wouldn't recommend that set-up for a dry grinder - unless you already own them. When my extra Wolverine mount arrives this weekend I'll true my "Tormek wheel" and test the Tormek mount for grinding.

But I have another problem, space (as I mentioned above). If I can cut off the about six inches of the mounting board on my pedestal mount by getting rid of the Tormek mount it would be very convenient. That brings me to the Sharp Fast gauge jig versus the Woverine Varigrind. From the specs it seems to me that the Sharp Fast jig is better than the VG2, but both seem to have the problem of wearing a groove at the center of the wheel. So my question is which way to go if I choose to get rid of the Tormek mount.

I am not of the steadiest hands, being a beer lover of 75, so have some concern about using the original VariGrind versus the more postive Sharp Fast (or VG2). But at the same time I don't want to have uneven wear on my wheel. I'm assuming that the original VG can be set up for any grind I want and can be as accurate at reproducing a grind as the VG2 or the Sharp Fast - as long as my hands don't slip. I think it will turn out that my Tormek mount will work once I balance the wheel, but I may still want to go with the Wolverine or Sharp Fast jigs in order to save space. Any advice on this would be welcome.

Finally, I wish I'd seen the Sharp Fast set-up before ordering the Wolverine platform rest kit. The slotted screw holes and centerline mark seem to be a great idea for aligning the mounting. My initial Wolverine is a bit off center, but I'll fix that when I install the second base. Let me tell you the way I intend to do that (sometimes a solution is simple when you see it). My grinder is mounted on a board that is mounted on a pedestal. The bolt heads for the grinder are blocked by the pedestal, so I CA glued them into the board. That allows me to remove the nuts and lift the grinder off the board then reseat it in the same place. I'll draw the lines for placing the bases with the grinder mounted, then remove the grinder and set bases with two sided tape. I'll replace the grinder and check the alignment, then remove it and re-adjust. It will take a bit of time, but it will be worth it. When the taped alignment is exact I'll drill the mounting holes (can't do that with the grinder in place), rmove the tape, and seat the bases.

Best, Jon