PDA

View Full Version : Longworth Chuck

Scott Lux
06-07-2012, 3:13 PM
I've been given the go-ahead from the budget office to pick up the "Modern Longworth Chuck". You can find it on ebay and several other sites. Anyone have one? Love it? Hate it?

I've avoided making donut chucks because I don't like the idea of nuts and bolts that close to my knuckles.

J.D.Redwine
06-07-2012, 6:08 PM
I have been wanting one. Which size are you going to get?

BILL DONAHUE
06-07-2012, 6:21 PM
I have the 16" one and like it a lot. Although I made two donut chucks and they do work, I found that the centering was not as perfect as I could get with the longworth. Since I don't have a lot of time to do woodturning the price was worth it in terms of the time saved trying to get a piece centered. Maybe I'm just not "handy" enough. I bought it directly from the designer, Ron Brown, who I met at a symposium. He's a very sharp guy and since then I have bought several other things he produces, all with good results.

paul vechart
06-07-2012, 8:10 PM
I will get one at some point too...Craft Supplies USA sells them also. They look like they are very well made.

Paul

Kyle Iwamoto
06-07-2012, 9:36 PM
I bought the 16" off the bay. It is well made. After a few failures, launching the bowl into shallow orbit, I figured use the tailstock as much as you can. (aka read the instructions) AFTER figuring this out, it is great to have. Works well, grips pretty good when the tailstock is used. Every now and again, I try to take too much of a cut and get a catch. Some fun things happen. Take light cuts, use sharp tools, should not have a problem. Other than the huge dent in your wallet. But, it's cheaper than a vacuum setup...... That is still on my list.
One thing, is the small size is limited by your chuck's size. You can't make it smaller than that. Oh, yeah that is the best part, having the LW chuck mount into your chuck. FAST and EASY. Good luck!

Michelle Rich
06-08-2012, 7:17 AM
yep, it is good! I like mine. I prefer the cole jaws type for better grabbing, but I like the longworth for speed.

Scott Lux
06-08-2012, 7:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback, all.

J.D., I'll be getting the 12" for be Delta midi.