PDA

View Full Version : Delta Drill Press Question

Kent Wagner
06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Is anyone familiar with the Delta 17-900x drill press.?There's one for sale on cl in my area, that I've actually seen before during a previous purchase, but only from across the shop. The only thing I could tell for sure that it was variable speed. I've tried to Google some specs but I can only come up with the 17-900 which is a 16 1/2", 12 speed or the 17-925 which seems to be the same as the 900 but with variable speed. Judging from the band saw I purchased from this guy before and the general appearance of his shop and other machines I would say this most likely has been highly cared for and maintained. The asking price is $550. Any info regarding the specs on this machine and price would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Myk Rian
06-07-2012, 3:33 PM
If you have to think about it, it's gone already.

Kent Wagner
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
It may or may not be. It's been listed for 2 weeks and this is first opportunity I've had to go and view it. Won't know until Saturday when I'm in that area. If it's there and I like it, it'll be mine. If I don't, it will stay there. If it's gone already I won't be wasting any time. Since I've been unable to find out anything and people on here have been extremely helpful in the past, was kinda hoping someone on here might be educated on this model and willing to share their knowledge, rather than some smart-ass reply. But I do appreciate the views.

Greg R Bradley
06-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I think he just means it is a 17-9something and will turn out to be a 17-925. I suppose it could be a variable speed version of a 17-900 that became the 17-925. I remember ordering new Delta Industrial DPs for a machine shop and there were about two pages of options that you could choose and they just put it together that way for you.

Rick Potter
06-08-2012, 3:05 AM
Kent,

I have the 17-925. It is variable speed, and has a hi/low range. One of the best features is the 6" stroke of the quill, which also has a split housing lock on it so you can lock it in any position. The adjustment stop is a quick adjust nut on a threaded shaft, which I prefer over the type you adjust with a wheel. One of these days I will get another quick adjust nut to put on the bottom of the shaft, so I can limit the range of motion for repetitive drilling.

Variable speed is through what I believe to be a Reaves type setup, somehow accomplished with a flat belt. A little clunkier than electronic variable speed, but it will never go phftttt and quit working on me like the newer type. I run hole saws every once in a while, and it seems to have plenty of power. I cannot remember what the table looks like, think it is square, but covered it with a home made table when I first got it. It naturally has a crank for the table lift.

Don't know what else to tell you. I like it, and it cost me about $800 new at a local tool store. Never seen another since.

One strange thing, though. Mine came without a top cover on it. I suspect it should have one, but the store lost it. A simple flat piece, and I always said I would make one, but..........

Hope this helps,
Rick Potter

PS: Google it. Amazon has reviews on it. 4.5 stars average review.

Kent Wagner
06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the info.I'm going to see it tomorrow as it is still available , and go from there.

Guy Belleman
06-09-2012, 11:05 PM
I have a 17-900 and like it, but think that is an older model, no longer produced, replaced by the 17-950. Think I got mine on sale about 6 years ago for around $700. A new Jet 17DX is $600 and the new Delta 18-900 is $900. So, $550 for a used 16 1/2" is probably a little high.

Myk Rian
06-10-2012, 10:31 AM
rather than some smart-ass reply.
It's a fact of buying on CL. If I wanted to give a smart-ass reply, it would have been over the top.