PDA

View Full Version : Is dyeing taboo to yoo?

Prashun Patel
06-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Thought I'd get yr impressions of this. I frequently read about dyeing or coloring being sacriledge to turned work.

What do you think?

I'll start: I think first of how to maximize the presentation of the piece. I'm not hung up on it looking natural. I think color can work very well. Just as with dimensions and form, if the finishing is creative and original and well executed, I'm all for it.

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
For me, it has always been something I enjoy seeing when done well. It has taken me several attempts to get the confidence and I am still developing my ability to accurately visualize the final effects of adding either color, or texture to a piece.

Chris Studley
06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
If the Dye floods out or otherwise hinders seeing the grain it is sacrilegious but as JK's dyed HF's (or Tim's beautiful vase from today) show us you can still show off the grain and woods figure even while using color.

I don't have the confidence (nor patience) to get the kind of finish that would properly show it off, so I avoid it for now.

Greg Ketell
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Chris nailed my views on it. Dye to enhance a less-exciting piece of wood is stellar. But if the wood is naturally stellar, leave it alone.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
+1 on what Chris says. Especially my lack of skill to attempt the dyeing. I choose not to dye mainly because I like the color/textures of the wood. Hiding it would be a bad thing. If you don't like the way the wood turns out, then turn something else....... Pun intended. Ha ha! See? I laughed at myself. I think I'm so funny.

Toney Robertson
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Your question - "Is dyeing taboo to yoo? "

My answer - Yep

Greg Just
06-07-2012, 2:36 PM
Another one who agrees with Chris. There are a lot of things today that start out as turnings and the ultimate product is far from what one would think is turned. Many turners carve their pieces into abstract works that one would never know they were turned. This can include dyeing and texturing.

Scott Hackler
06-07-2012, 2:43 PM
I look at dyeing the same way as applying a stain. Any regular ole wood stain is really dyeing the wood away from it's natural color....towards a more appealing finish. Dye is the same thing, except for the color pallet. The only time I really have an objection is when the turning is 1) not finished well and has sanding/tool marks (to which the dye/stain really highlights the problems) and 2) dye/stain is applied wrong. Of course the latter goes along with bad applications of poly/lacquer/waterlox...ect.

David DeCristoforo
06-07-2012, 4:09 PM
I wouid have to say "Apparently not..."

Jim Burr
06-07-2012, 4:13 PM
All evidence to the contrary...but there are times it's pointless. At best, a piece by piece determination.

John Keeton
06-07-2012, 6:15 PM
I wouldn't think of it!!!:rolleyes::D

John Coloccia
06-07-2012, 6:28 PM
Let me paraphrase George Wilson, because he once said something that was altogether brilliant, and I think applicable in this case:

"I can teach people woodworking, but I can't teach good taste."

I can't think of anything else worth mentioning.

Robert Henrickson
06-07-2012, 6:30 PM
I wouldn't think of it!!!:rolleyes::D

As in Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore
"What - never?"
"No, never!"
"What - never?"
"Hardly ever!"

In my case, hardly hardly ever.

BILL DONAHUE
06-07-2012, 6:55 PM
It was taboo until recently. Even after seeing one of the well known pros doing a demo at a symposium on dyeing wood I didn't care for it. However, after seeing some of the recent pieces on this site (& you know by whom) I've changed and want to try it.

Kevin Bourque
06-07-2012, 7:06 PM
The problem I have with turners dying lesser awesome woods is that all too often guys overdo it. Sometimes LESS is MORE.

Alan Trout
06-07-2012, 7:34 PM
What I like about turning is that there are so many things you can do. If the piece is good it does not matter what tecniques were used. If it is bad the tecqniques used do not matter either as it is still a bad piece. Your imagination and how well the piece was exicuted are what is important.

Alan

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-07-2012, 8:15 PM
Yes diffidently taboo . Sorry dye lovers. That said I do like to use color in turnings. I'm in the high end acrylic artist paint camp for adding color. Never dye's for me. I'd like to believe that my work will last for many decades. Dye's will fade much quicker over time than acrylics. Even the so called more light fast dyes don't contain the color pigments that acrylics do which will last for decades.
This I learned from a DVD put out by the conservators from the Smithsonian.
Acrylics are available in may colors & in both transparent & opaque & they can be mixed for custom colors & effects.
But hey that's just me. You guys dye till your hearts content.:rolleyes:

George Guadiane
06-07-2012, 8:36 PM
I was just reading a thread about old/antique wood and how even light colored wood, over time, seems to darken.
I'm a HUGE fan of Andy DePietero and his dyed work. There are a lot of others who make wood look wonderful adding color... I'm just mot convinced that the color will hold up over time. My attempts, using Fiebing's leather dye have not been all that successful, so, while a fan, knowing my personal experience and knowing that wood usually darkens over time (antique dealer), I'm reluctant to offer a dyed piece for sale because I'm not convinced that the coloration will remain as I intended.
At that point, I'm inclined to rely on the things that I know stand up over time - form, figure and finish.

Mark Levitski
06-07-2012, 8:41 PM
Are you a turner? Are you a carver? Are you a painter? Are you a jeweler? A lot of the pieces I see today are of a mixed genre, though not necessarily of a mixed media (they are, after all, mostly wood). To strictly lable a carved then dyed or painted piece of wood that has a sterling silver wire imbedded in the rim and also just happened to be turned a little on the lathe a "turning" can start to become a judgement call to say the least. Some of the artists spend a great deal of time to produce such a piece and deserve a lot of credit for their work and imagination. I really like most of this art, but it is in the grey area IMO to call them turnings even if their creators can be called turners.

Short answer to your question: no, not taboo to dye. It takes a lot of time to master all the various techniques. I am not one to jump around trying different things before mastering one. For now I am into a sort of minimalist approach using in-the-wood finishes, natural edges and defects, and very little ornamentation. I also am sort of a production turner that turns to sell, and that is what sells the best for now.

As far as taste, it's all relative. Most artists were recognized long after they were dead. And when they were still alive, the saying "never a prophet in your own land" applies. What does that tell you about taste? Let's leave any snobbery, social politics, and cultural preferences out of our conversations and keep it to "IMO". That's my opinion anyway.

Marvin Hasenak
06-07-2012, 8:55 PM
I am a game callmaker, so this isn't "art", they are functional woodturnings. I dye a lot of the plain maple that I use and I have almost every color imaginable, I dye some one color, some 2 colors and some are dyed with multiple colors. The last one is called "tie dyed" and is a good seller. I use various brands of dye, and after about 6 years none have really faded. These calls are used outdoors in all kinds of weather, from snow and ice to 110 degrees in the deserts of New Mexico and Texas.

My finish of choice is spar varnish that contains UV protectors, the spar was designed for use on boats. Helmsman Spar Varnish by MInwax, one coat that has been thinned 50/50, dried 24 hours and then a dip in the same 50/50 mix. The dye is sealed inside and out. I have one on my lanyard that has seen at least 200 days in the field, scratched, chipped and chewed on and the dye has not faded.

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2012, 9:36 PM
Is it taboo? Not to me. I turn to create what I envision... sometimes I use color, sometimes not. There are folks that love seeing color because it enhances the grain or because it is something different than the everyday turning... and there are those folks who prefer wood to remain 100% natural. Nice to have choices!

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2012, 9:46 PM
Depends on the wood and if it is properly applied.

Curt Fuller
06-07-2012, 11:35 PM
At one time I would have said yes, I felt it was taboo. But I've seen a lot of beautifully dyed work done by other people. The dye bug hasn't bitten me yet and I still feel that it's awfully hard to improve on the natural colors of wood.

phil harold
06-08-2012, 12:32 AM
dyeing is in the eye of the beholder

Gary Max
06-08-2012, 1:31 AM
No dyes, stains or paints around here------- just what mother nature left for us to find.

John Keeton
06-08-2012, 6:03 AM
I'm in the high end acrylic artist paint camp for adding color. Never dye's for me. I'd like to believe that my work will last for many decades. Dye's will fade much quicker over time than acrylics. Even the so called more light fast dyes don't contain the color pigments that acrylics do which will last for decades.Joe, you are entirely correct! If I could get the effects I want with acrylics (probably could with some good instruction from you!) I would switch. I have done a little acrylic with an airbrush, and it applies well. I think I would prefer the more translucent colors so the wood could show through a bit. Perhaps you could do a thread on your process and share with us?

Thom Sturgill
06-08-2012, 6:57 AM
I feel the same way about dye/color as I do about carving - as long as it is not 'hiding' a pretty grain its OK. John Jordan says 'life is too short to turn crappy wood', but that does not mean that a plain piece can not be enhanced, or in some cases, a spectaular grain be highlighted, with some embellishment, be it texture or color. On the other hand, the embellishments should not overwhelm the turning either. So, I guess ' it just depends...'

Bob Rotche
06-08-2012, 7:49 AM
I think that to say that anything creative is "taboo" is highly restrictive. It may not be your personal preference but I absolutely respect those that try different things in the creation of artwork. Things that seemed crazy when first tried often become highly desirable over time. There were periods in our history when it was "taboo" to depict a naked human form or to create artwork that was not inspired by the bible. The French impressionists were scoffed at when they were developing their style and are now some of the most valuable works available. One could say the same about Picasso and probably many others. I believe it is quite presumptuous for anyone to define what is or isn't appropriate in the creation of art. Personally, I love what people are doing with color and though I haven't had a chance to do much of it myself, I am really looking forward to experimenting with it. I certainly respect people's opinions as to what they find appealing but I also think its important for us all to keep an open mind and not be too judgemental of others visions.