PDA

View Full Version : Portable Clamp Rack pics

Joe Breid
04-03-2005, 9:23 PM
Here are pictures of this weekends project. I designed this clamp rack based on the one in a recent issue of Popular woodworking.

I didn't realize how much room my clamps would take until I started designing the hangers. I was able to double the capacity of the side of the rack for parallel jaw clamps by hanging half from the top and setting the other half on ther bottom and have the clamp rails bypass each other.

The base is from an old computer server rack that I removed all the hardware from except the bottom frame and casters. It rolls around real easy and is fairly stable unless there are clamps on just one side. (DAMHIKT) I need to find the threaded levelers that were in each corner of the base and reinstall them so that they just clear the floor.

I am real satisfied with how this turned out. It sure is nice having all my clamps in on place and being able to move them to where I need them.

Since there are some open spaces on the rack I quess I will have to get more clamps! ;)

Joe

Lamar Horton
04-03-2005, 9:33 PM
Nice job, I need to buy more clamps just so I can build me something like that.

Corey Hallagan
04-03-2005, 10:17 PM
That is a great looking clamp rack! And a nice collection of clamps as well! Nice job!

Corey

David Fried
04-04-2005, 2:12 AM
Looks nice. I bet it will be great to be able to wheels all the clamps over to project.

Mark Riegsecker
04-04-2005, 3:59 AM
Since there are some open spaces on the rack I quess I will have to get more clamps! ;)

Joe

Nice job Joe. I made one similar to the one I made for my garden tools, 3'x5'.
A roll around BIG thing! :eek: Now I see the same design at garden centers so you get the idea. kinda lowered into holes.
It's not a good idea for clamps, takes way too much room. I'm going to make another like yours. Thanks for the pics.
If you're looking for clamps you can get two more 6" from Lowes for a limited time for about $20 plus a one year subscription to Fine Woodworking. :cool:

Aaron Montgomery
04-04-2005, 8:10 AM
Nice clamp rack! This project is on my short list and I'll definately be using your photos for reference. Thanks for sharing!

Dick Parr
04-04-2005, 8:38 AM
The rack looks great Joe. That should do the job and your right, you need more clamps. :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-04-2005, 8:41 AM
Joe, that rack looks great and the collectioni of clamps looks even better. I thought about building a rack like that one. However, with only pipe clamps on it, it would outclass the clamps! :)