PDA

View Full Version : A few Civil War pens in Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree

Kevin W Johnson
06-07-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm working on making a few pens for a local heritage festival coming up soon. Part of the festivities are supposed to be some re-enactments. I'm still trying to get my photo tent settings dialed in, but here's a peek anyway. Six are in gun metal, and the other four are chrome. All are from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree (white oak) and have about 10 coats of CA as a finish. I'm not sure how I wound up with the contour that I did on the top pen, if it doesn't sell to someone wanting a fatter pen on the 16th, I'm going to disassemble and turn it down some more.

Keith Outten
06-07-2012, 6:59 AM
Kevin,

Nice work on the Stonewall Jackson pens. I have some of the white oak from the SWJ tree as well. I have recently procured a rotary attachment for my new Trotec Laser Engraver and I hope to be able to do something special on the pens I make and send to our Troops in the Middle East. First I have to turn a jig for the rotary for my pens.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2012, 7:23 AM
Nice looking pens, Kevin. I hope your efforts will do good at the Heritage Days there in Grottoes. I know the Grand Caverns shop can use some of those for their display. Are you going to have a display for anything besides pens?

Roger Chandler
06-07-2012, 7:26 AM
Kevin,

Nice work on the Stonewall Jackson pens. I have some of the white oak from the SWJ tree as well. I have recently procured a rotary attachment for my new Trotec Laser Engraver and I hope to be able to do something special on the pens I make and send to our Troops in the Middle East. First I have to turn a jig for the rotary for my pens.

Keith........I hope you will post a picture of the pens with the engraving. I also hope you will remember to send one to the lady who donated this wood for all these projects. One of our clubs here has raised over $2k for the Wounded Warriors, and I am not sure how much the other has raised, but the WWP has surely benefited from the effort.

When you get them ready, send me a PM and I will send you my address and forward that pen to Mrs. Miller, who owned that tree. Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2012, 9:24 AM
Very nice work on the pens Kevin! Really like the 'bullets'! Good luck with your sales!

Kevin W Johnson
06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Nice looking pens, Kevin. I hope your efforts will do good at the Heritage Days there in Grottoes. I know the Grand Caverns shop can use some of those for their display. Are you going to have a display for anything besides pens?

Roger, I'd like to get some other things made as well but I'm just running out of time. I've got quite a full plate at the moment. I have a few more pens to make, and I'll be lucky to get those done. I do have more pens other than SJPT though.

I'll be setting up with Miles Everard, if you have anything you'd like to sell, we'd be glad to set it up for you if you can't join us on the 16th. Miles called me the other night and so far no one else has expressed interest. There's no fee for us to setup either.

Keith Outten
06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Keith........I hope you will post a picture of the pens with the engraving. I also hope you will remember to send one to the lady who donated this wood for all these projects. One of our clubs here has raised over $2k for the Wounded Warriors, and I am not sure how much the other has raised, but the WWP has surely benefited from the effort.

When you get them ready, send me a PM and I will send you my address and forward that pen to Mrs. Miller, who owned that tree. Thanks!

Roger,

I will definitely share the pictures of the pens when I get them engraved. Each pen will receive a serial number starting with 001 which is the one I will send to you for Mrs. Miller. I'm not sure how I am going to produce certificates of authenticity yet but I'm thinking about it.

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2012, 3:15 PM
Very nice and an appropriate pen choice at that. I suspect these will do very well, including the fatboy at the top!;)

Jim Burr
06-07-2012, 4:17 PM
Great idea and the pens are perfect for the event Kevin!! I just sent off my 50 for Pens for Troops, but gave my son his in person! Wounded Warrior just hit me up for some custom pens...that will add the 25th hour to my day, but no one is more deserving than those guys!

Donny Lawson
06-07-2012, 9:54 PM
Great looking pens. I know they will be very appreciated in the new owners hands.

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2012, 9:58 PM
Really nice pens. Really look good.

Kevin W Johnson
06-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all compliments guys. I hope they do well, and I'm thinking the re-enactments might help spur that.