PDA

View Full Version : Scraper Burnisher Question

Noah Barfield
06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi all,

I am using this Sorby inboard scraper for the inside of my bowls: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/1425/scrapers and I need to find a quick, reliable way of burnishing the edge. I've seen the Veritas Scraper Burnisher advertised before: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=20266&cat=1,330,49233&ap=1 and was wondering if anyone had any experience using it with the heavy duty Sorby scraper?

BTW Lee Valley is offering free shipping on items over $40 starting tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Noah

Clint Baxter
06-07-2012, 5:41 AM
I have the burnished and used to use it frequently. Since I got my CBN grinding wheels I touch my scrapers up there instead of using the burnisher. I think I get a more consistent edge this way. Have seen comments in the past about getting too much hook on your turning tools using the burnisher, but didn't notice that while using the burnisher.

I wouldn't recommend investing in the burnisher if you've already got a good sharpening setup that is easy to use. Just use the burr formed from grinding instead. YMMV.

Clint

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-07-2012, 7:53 AM
You just opened up Pandora's box with that question. I always used my scrapers straight off the grinder but there is a whole school of thought revolving around flattening and smoothing the top of the scraper after grinding, thereby removing the burr then reforming the burr as you would a card scraper. The theory is that you can control the size and shape of the burr making the tool more versatile. I haven't yet tried doing so but I will.
faust

Thom Sturgill
06-07-2012, 8:55 AM
I'm in the school Faust mentioned. I polished the tops of my scrapers just like I would the bottom of a fine bench chisel, and i use use Veritas tool to roll a burr. The 'burr' you get froma grinder is really a fractured edge if you look at it microscopically. The rolled burrs are hard to get because of the hardness of the steel and you have to have the Veritas tool held firmly to put enough pressure, but they seem to last fairly long.

Prashun Patel
06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I use my scrapers right off the wheel. I'm not sure if the edge lasts longer off the burnisher. However, touching up on the wheel is so quick, I find it more convenient.

Burnishing in the flat world is done primarily to create a more finished quality surface. But I sand anyway, so it doesn't matter. Guess it depends on how you use the scraper.

I suggest you try using them that way and then invest in burnisher if it doesn't yield what you want.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Option #3. I use a diamond file card to sharpen the grinder hollow grind, and smooth the top. Makes the scraper pretty sharp, then burnish. I have a Derry tools burnisher. No experience with the others.

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
I am of the school that I use the scraper right off the grinder.

Harry Robinette
06-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I've used scrapers about any way they can be,now I take a scraper from the grinder Diamond hone the top to no burr. This I use for very fine scraping more finish scraping. I do my roughing and hollowing with a scraper thats, ground, honed and then I use the Veritas burnisher.
I mounted my burnisher on a piece of 2x4 that is on its edge about 12" long,this fits between the ways on my General 160-18 and you can get nice smooth burrs this way. You can get all of the pressure you need to roll the burr.
Hope this helps.
Also might check with Robo Hippy he uses scrapers for most of his bowl work I believe.

Jeremy Leasure
06-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm in the school that only tries the scraper when the transition and bottom of a bowl is being particularly stubborn about smoothing out. Once I get frustrated enough with the bowl, I bring out my scraper to destroy it utterly as quickly as possible.

Noah Barfield
06-08-2012, 2:53 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies! For those of you who grind your scraper, I have a Wolverine jig system on my grinder. Do you tend to grind your scraper face up or face down?

Noah

Scott Lux
06-08-2012, 7:55 AM
I have the Veritas burnished. I like it a lot. I do still hit the grinder sometimes, but not as often. I try to remember to flatten and burnish before the last pass. Makes for less sanding.

You can put a more or less aggressive edge with the amount of pressure you use with the burnisher.

Jerry Wright
06-08-2012, 8:10 AM
Noah - most grind with the cutting edge up. The burr is forced up by the wheel in the opposite direction of wheel rotation. Alan Lacer and I have done several sharpening papers using high resolution digital imaging photography to look at the edges formed by different edge prep methods and the resulting cut wood surfaces. Two are specifically on scrapers - Dec. 2009 American Woodturner and the next issue of Woodturning Magazine.