PDA

View Full Version : DVD's?

Jeremy Leasure
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm about to order several DVD's from CSUSA and I was wondering which ones you guys have found to be among the best. I've seen Bill Grumbines videos, Turning Wood with Raffan and one Drozda (finial box) from the mobile library. I'm looking hard at the Clewes sets, but I was wondering if any of them are overly redundant.

What I have in the cart:

Turn it On
Turn it Up
Turning the World
Turnaround

How about Mahooney? Also Glenn Lucas, although his videos don't seem to be available through CSUSA.

Bernie Weishapl
06-07-2012, 12:22 AM
I have all of Mahoney's and Cindy Drozda's. Great video's. Bill Grumbines are great. I don't have Jimmy Clewes DVD's so can't comment on them.

John Keeton
06-07-2012, 6:41 AM
Jeremy, I can't speak to Clewes' DVDs, but his live demos are extremely well done. He moves quickly, but constantly adds audio content to what and why he is doing it. Very good instructor. I suspect his DVDs would be worth watching.

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-07-2012, 9:05 AM
Before embarking on my own "segmenting" DVDs, I studied quite a few others and found Jimmy's to be among the best.

Pat Scott
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I have all of Mahoneys DVDs, all of Jimmy Clewes DVDs, and both of Glenn Lucas's DVDs. All of them are great and I have watched every DVD several times. These are the 3 professional turners that I admire, and the type of turning I like to do is what these 3 do as well, so for me it was a no-brainer that I buy their DVDs. I've also taken a 5-day "Signature" class with all 3 of them at Craft Supplies.

The photography on all of the Clewes DVDs is amazing - up close and crystal clear. Jimmy can describe what he's doing and why in great detail. Each of his "Turn It Up/On/Around" DVDs has him making several different projects on each DVD, each project different, each project teaching something new. You won't be disappointed in any of Mahoney/Clewes/Lucas DVDs.

Both of the Lucas DVDs are available at CSUSA, look under Videos > Techniques listing. Or do a search on Glenn Lucas and you'll find them. His 1st DVD concentrates on sharpening, his 2nd DVD shows how he makes a salad bowl. Quite the production turner!

Jim Burr
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
What do you want to make Jeremy? I have a Raffin box DVD that is great! Pen DVD's from Rex & Kip are something I still refer to. All of the Mahoney is cool, but the HF DVD was done before the advent of lasers and dedicated hollowing "rigs". I saw Jimmy Clewes a few months ago and have added much of what he taught to what I do so I'd imagine his DVD stuff is well worth while. Ted Solokowski's Peppermill DVD has a lot of cool ideas, although I can't seem to hear my blanks speak to me about their inner form:p:rolleyes:. I have a couple from Ray Key and although very informative, it's better than a shot of scotch of warm milk for nap time.

Jeremy Leasure
06-08-2012, 8:44 AM
What do you want to make Jeremy?

Everything. :)

Thanks for the info guys, I'll end up checking everything recommended here. I went ahead and ordered all of Clewes stuff as a starting point.