PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 5-1/2 Parts Source?

Matt Meiser
04-03-2005, 9:05 PM
My dad picked up an old Stanley 5-1/2C for me while he was on vacation. The bed casting is excellent, as is the frog, but pretty much everything else needs help. The rear tote is broken in 3 places and missing a piece off the top. The front knob is intact, but it is the newer high knob--looking at pictures on the web it should have the low knob. The blade is bent from about the middle up and has a notch ground in it near the top for some reason, the lever cap is all chewed up on the bottom end and the lever on the top is broken in 1/2. Finally, the lateral adjustment lever is missing.

The plane is an oldie, as it doesn't have the frog adjustment screws and has the 2-1/4" wide blade. I understand Hock makes a replacement blade, and I figure I can steal the knob, tote, and lateral adjuster from a donor. The lever cap appears to be an issue as it doesn't look like it is common to other easy-to-find donors. Anyone know a source for this part? Will a 2" cap work well? How do I remove and re-attach a lateral adjuster?

Bob Waltemate
04-04-2005, 6:54 AM
Matt,

There are a couple of lever caps for a Stanley 5 1/2 on that "auction site that won't be mentioned". Do a search for STANLEY LEVER CAP and they should come up. One is newer and one is for an older Rule & Level bedrock. Hope this helps.

Bob

John Keeling
04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Hold on there!

You've gotta be a little careful with the 5 1/2 because it has 2 possible blade widths. The early ones were 2 1/4" and the later ones 2 3/8". This will affect everything except the handle and tote!
Before bidding on anything be sure you know the width you need and the width on offer.

Have fun

John

Steve Clardy
04-04-2005, 2:58 PM
I have some levers caps.

Matt Meiser
04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Steve, you have a 2-1/4" wide lever cap? How much?

Steve Clardy
04-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Steve, you have a 2-1/4" wide lever cap? How much?

I have 2" and 2 1/4" both. All my 5's take a 2". Guess a 5 1/2" takes a 2 1/4"?
Tell me which one for sure and PM me with your address. It won't be much.
Steve

Ps. I think I have the other stuff you need except the wood. Can't let my wood get away. lol