PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hickory HF - Courtesy of Bob Rotche

Tim Rinehart
06-06-2012, 9:57 PM
Bob and I did a wood exchange this past spring while we were at John Campbell Folk School. This is one of the pieces I got from Bob...well, it was a bit uglier when he gave it to me! ;)

The pics don't do proper justice to the level of gloss in this, with about 6 coats or so of WTF and buffed/waxed.

About 5" diam x 3" tall. Was some really nice wood to turn, first time for hickory. I like it. Will have to rob my BIL's wood pile next time I visit. Thanks again Bob!:)

Comments and critique welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2012, 10:02 PM
That is a beauty. Nice form and the wood is awesome. Really well done.

Michelle Rich
06-07-2012, 5:06 AM
I've always loved hickory, but this piece is divine! Well turned!

Jerry Rhoads
06-07-2012, 6:05 AM
Very pretty piece Tim, well done.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2012, 6:22 AM
I like this one Tim........nice job on the form. Hickory is on my list if I ever get a piece of it to turn.

John Keeton
06-07-2012, 6:25 AM
Really nice form, Tim, and such a very interesting spalt pattern! Great job.

Nate Davey
06-07-2012, 6:27 AM
Another winner. Great orientation of the grain and wonderful form.

Bill Hensley
06-07-2012, 6:58 AM
Very nice. Form and finish really do justice to a nice piece of wood.

Bob Rotche
06-07-2012, 7:26 AM
Great job, Tim! Sure looks a lot better than the piece of wood I gave you! Love the form and the sharply demarcated spalt pattern is very interesting. I like the way you positioned it. I have several more pieces of this at home and just may need to try something similar.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-07-2012, 7:37 AM
Tim,
I've never turned hickory and I've never seen a piece that lent itself so well to a hollow form. You chose just the right way to make best use of it.
faust

Deane Allinson
06-07-2012, 8:46 AM
This is really beautiful pice of wood. everything about it is great!!!
Deane

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2012, 9:16 AM
That is really cool Tim! Grain orientation is great!! So, if this piece is really glossy - what did you do to take photos to eliminate gloss as an issue/problem?

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2012, 9:41 AM
That is really cool Tim! Grain orientation is great!! So, if this piece is really glossy - what did you do to take photos to eliminate gloss as an issue/problem?

Thanks Steve. You know...the more I learn the less I understand it seems. I took advices from Nate on getting better pics with less light and it worked well for the red vase I posted. I couldn't get same results with this piece, so I just turned on the lights over my tent (allowed filtered light to shine down directly over piece) which I figured would cast headlights...but it didn't. It reduced my exposure to just a second or two and came out like this. I am open to suggestions if it's apparent to you what I could have done. Thanks again.

David DeCristoforo
06-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Sweet form. Really shows the wood well. I especially like how the dark area seems to be bleeding down into the lighter part.

Steve Vaughan
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
That's a beautiful piece of hickory there, and you did a beautiful job with it! Love the orientation!