PDA

View Full Version : Silly question?

Jenny Trice
06-06-2012, 9:09 PM
This seems like a silly question but since I don't know the answer, I will ask it anyway. I bought a new/used Jet Hybrid table saw. It came with a zero clearance insert. I have since purchased a dado insert as well.

My question is, given these two inserts, if I want to have the blade tilted, what do I do for an insert? Obviously, the zero clearance without tilt won't be zero clearance when tilted. I don't think I could have the blade up very high and tilted and still use the dado insert, and the gap seems excessive for that.

What do others do? Do you have several zero clearance inserts for various angles?

I am finding inserts for this saw a little hard to come by. I could make my own but it would be nice to use the ones that are already cut to size and have the leveling screws. Any thoughts from other ProShop owners on this would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
06-06-2012, 9:54 PM
Most table saws are sold with an insert which allows tilting the blade as far as it will go -- usually 45 degrees. These inserts are not zero-clearance. Zero-clearance inserts are generally aftermarket devices. I expect that you can buy a regular (non-ZCI) insert from Jet.

Keith Westfall
06-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Jenny,

You can make your own "zero clearence" inserts (lots of threads around on that) and then if you are doing a angle cut, just cut up through the new insert (threads on that as well) and then you have a new zero clearence insert.

Mark the angle on it and start your collection...

Sid Matheny
06-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Here is a good video showing how to make different inserts that may help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgh1Hqg1LY8

Sid

Alan Schwabacher
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Tablesaws are designed to tilt the blade about an axis that is at the table surface. This means an insert that allows tilting the blade does not need a large gap, but it will differ from a true ZCI that has a single narrow cut.

You can make an insert that allows tilting by raising the blade up through an uncut insert first while the blade is set square, then lower, tilt the blade, and raise it again through the insert. This will make two kerfs that should intersect at the top surface. If you remove the thin strip between the cuts, you will have an insert that resembles the type most saws are sold with.

Jim Rimmer
06-07-2012, 4:54 PM
I could make my own but it would be nice to use the ones that are already cut to size and have the leveling screws.

Make your own, drill holes and add set screws for leveling screws. The hole should be slightly smaller than the screw and will hold the screw just fine.

Myk Rian
06-07-2012, 4:59 PM
This will make two kerfs that should intersect at the top surface..
Nope. They will not intersect at the top, but will be CLOSE underneath.