PDA

View Full Version : New router table.

John Piwaron
06-06-2012, 5:15 PM

So, it's almost done. My new router table. I'm not one to follow someone else's plan exactly. What I did is a combination of my old Woodsmith router table, the one from NYW and some ideas of my own.

The router I use most of the time is a Porter Cable 890 with a grip vac. So I'll attach a vacuum to that and the shop vac to the dust port on the back of the fence. I also really like the cam action clamps. Aluminum T track instead of routing anything into MDF. I'm still working on the bit trays and the drawers.

I learned from the Woodsmith table that the top would sag. That's why all the extra framing. The entire frame is joined with M&T. the cabinet with dominoes. All on casters that keep it 1/2" off the floor.

Scott Wichman
08-10-2012, 7:13 PM
Great job. I hope it serves you well for many years.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2012, 7:25 PM
John.....Looking good! Where did you buy your dust collection port?

Gene Davis
08-11-2012, 7:35 AM
Nice arrangement. Do you have a dust vac port in the lower chamber also?

John Piwaron
08-21-2012, 3:08 PM
John.....Looking good! Where did you buy your dust collection port?

the dust port you see is from Rockler. Bought several years ago.

John Piwaron
08-21-2012, 3:10 PM
Nice arrangement. Do you have a dust vac port in the lower chamber also?

no port at all in the lower area. the router I intend to use most often is a Porter Cable with the grip vac attachment. I'll use my Festool vac pull all the dust and chips it can from it. Combined with the vac pulling from above they get most of the mess. FWIW, that lower area does have a 1/4 inch piece of plywood closing the back.

Gregory King
08-21-2012, 8:52 PM
John, great job. With the casters you must be tipping it up like a wheelbarrow to move it. I find the large drawers handy for other item storage such as saw blades. Enjoy, Greg

John Piwaron
08-22-2012, 7:37 AM
John, great job. With the casters you must be tipping it up like a wheelbarrow to move it. I find the large drawers handy for other item storage such as saw blades. Enjoy, Greg

There are a pair of rotating lockable casters on the other side. I think I should have used those at all 4 corners. the large drawers contain my routers. the ones not hanging from the plate. And finally, all the bits are in one place with space for plenty more.