PDA

View Full Version : Electrical solutions for cabinets, built-ins, and furniture

Victor Robinson
06-06-2012, 3:14 PM
Frequently woodworking, especially cabinetry, takes us into that realm of minor electrical work. I was hoping we could start a thread of solutions for common wiring/electrical aspects of our projects.

Here are some ideas of the kinds of things that I (and fellow woodworkers!) would love to see you share:

- Lighting for built-in cabinetry - undercab, accent in bookcases, display, etc.
- Hiding cables or light sources in cabinetry, built-ins, media centers, desk units, etc.
- Accommodating electronics - venting, cabling solutions
- Unique solutions or products that you have come across

Honestly, anything is welcome, and photos are always great.

I'll add the necessary disclaimer so the thread doesn't veer off course:
DIY electrical work is done at your own risk. This thread does not endorse performing electrical work that you are not comfortable with, nor does the OP, any poster herein, or Sawmill Creek assume any liability for your actions as a result of this thread, unless they make you oodles of money, in which case charitable contributions are accepted. As with all things electrical, if you are unsure of how to proceed, consult a licensed electrician. There, now that's out of the way.:p

Jefferey Scott
06-07-2012, 9:59 AM
I'd like to see some discussion on running and hiding the wiring for kitchen undercabinet lighting since I'm going to be doing that in the near future. I'm planning on using LED's and installing an outlet or two in the cabinets for the transformers. I'm just having a hard time visualizing the best way to run the interconnecting wiring between each fixture.

Jeff

Keith Hankins
06-08-2012, 9:47 AM
I've done a couple cabinet lighting projects and I love LED. Several ways to go. For my project a wine cabinet, I installed the fixture above the glass rack so the light shined down through glasses. I had a dead space between the rack and cabinet top to hide things and the standard 110 cable for the transformer exited the rear of the cabinet with a toggle switch on the rear of the cabinet. You could follow that same principle and create a fake bottom to extend the cabinet so to speak and create a dead space to hide the wiring which is small. They make an LED rope lighting that has an ingenious connecting mechanism that is very slimline. The lights can be bought in ft lengths or even 250' rolls and you can buy color modulators. They make angle brackets to help hide under cabinets. Not cheap but with the low wattage its a very thin gauge wire. Only your imaginations limits the possibilities. BTW I have no interest in the company or personal gain from posting a link.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Link to my last project.

http://flic.kr/p/9YQhzn

Buck Williams
06-09-2012, 9:22 AM
I'd like to see some discussion on running and hiding the wiring for kitchen undercabinet lighting since I'm going to be doing that in the near future. I'm planning on using LED's and installing an outlet or two in the cabinets for the transformers. I'm just having a hard time visualizing the best way to run the interconnecting wiring between each fixture.

Jeff

Jeff, a manufacturer - Color Kinetics - makes LED under counter lighting that has the LED driver built into the fixture, there is no remote driver (transformer) that has to be hidden in the cabinet. Check out this brochure, it gives some mounting options.

http://www.colorkinetics.com/support/datasheets/eW_Profile_Powercore_ProductGuide.pdf