PDA

View Full Version : Turning a frown upside down...

Mike Cruz
06-05-2012, 8:24 PM
Hey all you flatboarders! Sorry I haven't been around this neck of the woods lately...the vortex of spinny things sucked me into the dark side. But I had an experience today that I thought I'd share with you all over here.

I found an ad on CL for "woodworking stuff". Among the things he had were a mini lathe and a drill press. Now, I don't need either (have them already), but how can I pass up a deal...right? So, I told the guy I'd pay his asking price for both, arranged to get there (50 minutes away) this morning at 10am. Got there and he had sold them to someone else that morning! WHAT?!?! He felt bad because he thought I was coming for the planer. Honestly, I think the guy got a million emails and phone calls and got everyone confused. They guy he sole the lathe and drill press to was "the first guy he talked to about them"...um, dude, that was me... But since I didn't REALLY need them anyway, I took him up on his offer to rummage through the rest of the stuff. He said he'd give me deals on them... You tell me...how'd I do? A lot of this stuff is brand new (like most of the router bits...still had original protective rubber stuff on them).

Freud Table Saw blades (used but in good shape)... New $35 x 6= $210... I paid $5 x 6= $30
Milwaukee Sawzall blades 12 piece set...New $26...I paid $5
40 piece Tap and Die Set...New $30...I paid $10
Norton 3X ROS sanding pads...New $17...I paid FREE
Jorgenson F clamps (4)...New $55...I paid $20
5 pc Mortise Bit set...New $40...I paid $10
Freud raised panel bit set...New $160...I paid $50
Wood River 1/2" shank router bits (6)...New $21 x 6= $125
Woodline USA 6 piece flush trim set...New $60
Woodline USA 3 piece Birdmouth bits...New $70
Woodline USA 6 piece set of pattern cutting bits with shank mounted guide bearings...New $70...I paid $50 for all the Wood River and Woodline bits combined
Bessey band clamp... New $30...I paid $5
Wolfcraft band clamp...New 30?...I paid $5
Vac-u-clamp holddown system (like bench cookies, but with suction)...New $90...I paid $45
Delta Shopmaster air cleaner...New $190...I paid $35
Reelworks air hose reel...New $85...I paid $30

Value new... $1,395... I paid $300

Not planning on selling any of it. I could have bought a lot more (for selling purposes), but wanted to run before I spent any more money...

Well, no pics/didn't happen, so here's my haul. This is the second $1,400 for a couple hundred dollars deal I've gotten lately. The other one was all lathe stuff, and I know you guys don't care about that stuff...:D

Michael Peet
06-05-2012, 8:59 PM
You suck! Go back to the spinny forum!

J/K, congrats on a nice score - :)

Mike

Joseph Tarantino
06-06-2012, 8:25 AM
definate "you suck". i'm a very "frugal" WW, and even i would have jumped on the air clearner. nice deal!

Tony De Masi
06-06-2012, 9:37 AM
I don't really see much there to brag about.

Mike Cruz
06-06-2012, 1:11 PM
Thanks for your ever encouraging words, Tony...I expect nothing less from you. ;)

Michael and Joseph, thanks. I really could have spent more money. But had to exercise my right to stop spending...

Mike Heidrick
06-06-2012, 1:27 PM
I am thinking the seller is smiling and posting somewhere on a forum.

Mike Cruz
06-06-2012, 1:53 PM
Mike, I asked him if he was on any woodworking forums and he said no. I think we were both happy with what we got...

As for the prices I posted above, I looked them all up by their numbers...they aren't guesses. Well, one or two are, but off of very similar items. Under 1/4 of the cost of new? I'll take that any day...

frank shic
06-06-2012, 2:52 PM
how's that vac-u-clamp working out for you? sounds interesting...

Mike Cruz
06-06-2012, 5:28 PM
It fit on the shelf right next to all the other things I've bought over the years that I've never used!!! :D I'm kidding. But I can't answer your question... I haven't tried it out yet. I understand it works with your compressor. I'll have to see how it works in a week or two. Right now, my focus is on a small gathering of woodworkers/turners that will be here this weekend. Gotta get the shop ship shape...or at least to the point that everyone will be able to walk around... :o

Pat Barry
06-06-2012, 8:45 PM
I hope it wasn't hot because I don't know how I could trust anything on CL

Mike Cruz
06-06-2012, 8:57 PM
The guy is/was a woodworker...showed me his portfolio. He's been through 2 moves (with all his tools) and is about to go through another (with no real place for a "shop"), and didn't want to move and store it all again. He's got a few years 'til retirement, and just figures he'll pick it all back up then.

I'd like to think I'm a decent judge of charactor (well, usually...), and this guy seemed quite earnest. And through discussions, he obviously knew which end was up.

But I do understand your thinking, Pat. If I had any concerns that the stuff was hot, I would have just walked away...