PDA

View Full Version : My most ambitious plate to date

Jeff Myroup
06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Yesterday I started my most ambitious plate to date. So far I am extremely happy with the results. The plate is 14" diameter, maple. This is my first attempt at a human face. I still have a very long way to go. The entire 10" center area will be burned. The rim will have silver leaf with a patina. My hope is that the leaf will mimic the actual colors of the painting. Since the painting has reds, blues and blue/greens, I will use a potash patina on the leaf. I am hoping to have it complete in time for Turn-On Chicago.

John Keeton
06-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Fantastic start on Mona!!! Jeff, you are delving deep into the classics - I look forward to watching this one develop.

Chris Studley
06-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Nice work,

how long does it take you to do something like that?

the shading and all is quite nice.

It is ambitious to take on such a familiar piece as any, even minor, mistakes, could potentially be noticed because everybody knows the Mona Lisa.

Do you plan on incorporating a code only readable under blacklight?:rolleyes: Or have I saidd too much already? :eek:

Good luck, Looking forward to seeing the finishe piece...

Jeff Myroup
06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Fantastic start on Mona!!! Jeff, you are delving deep into the classics - I look forward to watching this one develop.

Thanks John. I really like the old stuff. I have been wanting to do this for a very long time.

Jeff Myroup
06-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Nice work,

how long does it take you to do something like that?

the shading and all is quite nice.

It is ambitious to take on such a familiar piece as any, even minor, mistakes, could potentially be noticed because everybody knows the Mona Lisa.

Do you plan on incorporating a code only readable under blacklight?:rolleyes: Or have I saidd too much already? :eek:

Good luck, Looking forward to seeing the finishe piece...

Thanks Chris. I figure it will take about 30 hours to burn. I have about 4 hours into it already. I still have about 3-4 left on the face. The figure does not lend itself to a smooth burn. Once the face is done, the background should go pretty quick.

As for the code, we will have to wait and see. ;)

Chris Studley
06-05-2012, 1:13 PM
Hey Jeff,

What is your woodburning setup consist of. (Because the Woodturning vortex isn't quite costly enough)

I'd imagine a burner of some sort? various tips?

I also imagine an egonomic way to hold the work is important as to not be hunched over a flat table for Hours at a time.

Is there a lot of smoke/smell associated with this type of work? There has to be some I assume.

steven carter
06-05-2012, 1:21 PM
Jeff,

You are off to a great start. My wife and I just returned from a European vacation, and we viewed the real McCoy just last week. I look forward to seeing further developments on this one.

Jeff Myroup
06-05-2012, 1:28 PM
Hey Jeff,

What is your woodburning setup consist of. (Because the Woodturning vortex isn't quite costly enough)

I'd imagine a burner of some sort? various tips?

I also imagine an egonomic way to hold the work is important as to not be hunched over a flat table for Hours at a time.

Is there a lot of smoke/smell associated with this type of work? There has to be some I assume.

I have a burnmaster with around 15 pens, although I only use a couple of shaders and a writing tip for portraits. For large dark backgrounds; I use a mirco-torch or a 40 watt weller soldering iron. The burning set up does not matter, any type will work. Many people only use soldering irons. You can make a rheostat to control the temp. Irons also hold heat much better than the most expensive units.

I burn at very low temp, so there is no smell or smoke.

I don't use anything to hold the piece. I have a desk that has a bag of steel shot on it. I use the shot to elevate the plate, so that it is more comfortable. I constantly reposition the work to make it comfortable. I also bend my shading tips to a position that is more natural for me.

Jeff Myroup
06-05-2012, 1:31 PM
Jeff,

You are off to a great start. My wife and I just returned from a European vacation, and we viewed the real McCoy just last week. I look forward to seeing further developments on this one.

Thanks Steve. Most people don't realize that it is painted on a Poplar panel and that it has a crack in it at the top. I was going to use Poplar for this plate, but decided against it.

Rick Markham
06-06-2012, 3:25 AM
Jeff, this is looking nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress. I enjoy portrait drawing, but don't do enough of it. I can't imagine trying to woodburn it, you have the patience of a saint!

Tim Chase
06-06-2012, 4:58 AM
Jeff
Very nice looking work hopefully I'll get to see it at Turn On Chicago in August.

Russell Eaton
06-06-2012, 5:58 AM
Very impressive Jeff. It would be nice to see a few pictures of it as you make progress. Thanks for showing.

Roland Martin
06-06-2012, 6:55 AM
That is some excellent work Jeff. It will be interesting to see this develop, thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2012, 8:03 AM
Jeff - your work is always amazing! Looking forward to watching as things progress!

Jeff Myroup
06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Jeff, this is looking nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress. I enjoy portrait drawing, but don't do enough of it. I can't imagine trying to woodburn it, you have the patience of a saint!

Thanks Rick. I am sure many people would disagree about the "patience of a saint" part though. HAHAHA

Jeff Myroup
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Jeff
Very nice looking work hopefully I'll get to see it at Turn On Chicago in August.

Thanks Tim, sent you a PM. You are right down the road from me.

Jeff Myroup
06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Very impressive Jeff. It would be nice to see a few pictures of it as you make progress. Thanks for showing.

Thanks Russel. I will post some in progress pictures. I normally take pictures to see how it is turning out. It really helps to see things you missed.

Jeff Myroup
06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Roland

Jeff Myroup
06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks Steve. Once I get the face done, the rest should fall into place. I also have an idea for a special feature, but need to flesh out the details ;)

Scott Hackler
06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Very cool start, Jeff. Do you have any formal art training? Just curious.

Jeff Myroup
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Very cool start, Jeff. Do you have any formal art training? Just curious.

Thanks Scott. I have absolutely no art training. I kind of make it up as I go. My goal is to bring high end pyrography to woodturning. I still have a long way to go. Most of the "Professional" turners do not recognize it as legitimate art, but will burn, paint, texture and carve a piece. It can be really frustrating at times. It will be interesting to see how this plate is received at Turn-On Chicago.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
That is going to be just to cool Jeff. I really like it so far. Haven't gotten to that point yet but hope to soon.