PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Quotes for Homeowners , Auto and Umbrella

Andrew Joiner
06-04-2012, 9:25 PM
It's time for me to look for a lower price on insurance. I've had no claims or violations in the 2 years I've been with Travelers Insurance, yet it goes up about 15% each year.

What companies have the lowest prices lately?

Ron Jones near Indy
06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Call a few independent agents with your needs. They will compare the different companies they represent and get you a good deal.

Todd Burch
06-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Last time I thought my State Farm bill was too high, I had my agent come out to the house to review all policies (auto, home, life, umbrella, personal articles). What a coincidence - we were paying too much. I got checks back from SF totaling about $1200 over the next 6 months.

Mike Henderson
06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
While they may not be the lowest cost, I've had USAA for over 45 years and have been very satisfied. They used to take only military officers, then opened up to enlisted personnel, then to family of military. Now, I think they will take anyone, military or not. Good company, always gets rated at the top for financial stability and customer service.

Mike

Scott T Smith
06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I can't speak highly enough of Farm Bureau. Having endured a major fire loss, their adjusters could not have been more supportive and better to deal with. Plus their rates are great.

Sean Troy
06-04-2012, 11:13 PM
I can't find anything that can even get near Liberty Mutual and that's apples to apples coverage.

Matt Meiser
06-05-2012, 8:28 AM
We have Farm Bureau too. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive but my parents have been with them something like 32 years with good service and we've been with them about 12. Cheap insurance might not be so cheap if you have a claim.

Jim Becker
06-05-2012, 9:31 AM
I don't shop for insurance just based on price...reputation and good claims experience, not to mention comprehensive coverage is what I look at first. A good, independent agent is the best way to get both great coverage that meets your needs as well as a palatable price.

FYI, Progressive has had my auto insurance for many years and my experience with them has been superb...I would not leave them for a few bucks of premium difference. Chubb has our homeowners as they offer specific coverage that is best for homes and properties like ours that have "very old" origins (250 years in the case of one portion of our home) and their coverage is more comprehensive than normal HO3 policies from other carriers. They are not inexpensive, but by putting in an alarm system as well as upping our deductible to $2500 (increasing self-insurance), our premium is not much more than it would be for less coverage from other carriers. They actually do a formal appraisal periodically to establish what the actual replacement/rebuilding costs would be for like materials and local labor, too. They also have our umbrella coverage and it's very reasonably priced. Our independent agent helped us tailor our insurance for our specific needs.

Andrew Joiner
09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I got quotes from 3 other insurance companies and Travelers was still the cheapest by about $100. I have earthquake coverage and Umbrella liability. Some companies price that like they don't want to be in that market.

Victor Robinson
09-27-2012, 1:19 PM
I felt we were paying too much with our current home insurance and started shopping around a few days ago. Switching to Farmers apparently could save us over $300/yr, and the policy is a bit better (has some perks that we will probably never use, but it's nice to know we're getting "more" for "less").

On the other hand, I looked into combining our home and auto with them and they couldn't even come close, by hundreds of dollars, to touching Progressive (2 cars, 2 drivers, clean records).

Don Morris
09-28-2012, 5:39 PM
I've had USAA for almost 50yrs. You're right, they took only officers at first, but now take anyone affiliiated with the military or govt. it seems. They consistently get top ratings so check if you have a relative who served. They get my recommendation for superior service. I don't use them for everything, but would never think of using anyone else for auto. There, they are the best all around, hands down.

Andrew Joiner
06-30-2013, 3:10 PM
I got quotes from 3 other insurance companies and Travelers was still the cheapest by about $100. I have earthquake coverage and Umbrella liability. Some companies price that like they don't want to be in that market.

I just shopped around again for insurance. This year Travelers increased prices so much they're no longer competitive. I was surprised to find 2 companies that were always high priced over the years have dropped prices a lot. I'll be switching insurance soon and pay $228 a year for nearly identical coverage.

Eric DeSilva
06-30-2013, 8:43 PM
+1

I was just shopping around to replace my home and auto based on consumer ratings, and the only reason USAA doesn't top the JD Powers surveys is that it is limited eligibility. They seem to consistently get the highest marks. I have heard their prices are very good as well, but haven't gotten to the point of comparing quotes yet.

Ruperto Mendiones
06-30-2013, 10:24 PM
49 yr for USAA. I'd rate them 5*. Fair rates, and superior claims service.

Jerome Stanek
07-01-2013, 7:07 AM
I don't put much trust in JD Powers as you have to pay them to be considered for their appraisal.

Lee Schierer
07-01-2013, 7:37 AM
I've had USAA for almost 50yrs. You're right, they took only officers at first, but now take anyone affiliiated with the military or govt. it seems. They consistently get top ratings so check if you have a relative who served. They get my recommendation for superior service. I don't use them for everything, but would never think of using anyone else for auto. There, they are the best all around, hands down.

We've had USAA for 43 years and have no plans to even look at another company. Their services are all superior, they will actually advise you on how to save money on insurance and have very good returns in their investments. They always go the extra mile to help members.

Eric DeSilva
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I don't put much trust in JD Powers as you have to pay them to be considered for their appraisal.

That seems odd to me. Why would USAA pay to be in their survey if JD Powers wouldn't actually put them in the rankings (USAA gets numerical ratings for the various categories of service, but doesn't get ranked)? Besides, all the majors are in there. If they all paid, I have to assume the ground is level. Even if what you say is true and JD Powers is ignoring some really small insurers who don't want to ante up for the ratings, insurance is a big numbers game. I'm not sure that being insured by a small company that can't risk spread in the same way is a good way to go.

John Pratt
07-01-2013, 3:23 PM
20+ years USAA. I periodically check other insurers and they are never even close when it comes to price, customer service, settlement of claims, etc..

Brian Elfert
07-01-2013, 4:18 PM
Most insurance companies will purchase insurance from a reinsurance company so if they have a large dollar volume of claims from a single event or chain of events the reinsurance will kick in and pay some of the claims. This can take some of the worry out of buying from a small company.

Frank Trinkle
07-01-2013, 5:01 PM
While they may not be the lowest cost, I've had USAA for over 45 years and have been very satisfied. They used to take only military officers, then opened up to enlisted personnel, then to family of military. Now, I think they will take anyone, military or not. Good company, always gets rated at the top for financial stability and customer service.

Mike
+++++1 on USAA! BUT.... you have to be a veteran at the least. They won't take "anyone". I rely on USAA for virtually ALL of my financial, insurance, and retirement investment needs. AWESOME! (My 5-year old son is now a third generation member)

Lee Schierer
07-01-2013, 5:27 PM
20+ years USAA. I periodically check other insurers and they are never even close when it comes to price, customer service, settlement of claims, etc..

Every time, I'm somewhere and there is an insurance booth, they ask to compare insurance rates with my current insurer. As soon as I say I'm insured by USAA, they decline to compare rates.

Larry Frank
07-01-2013, 7:46 PM
I had State Farm for many years and their rates went up a whole bunch in Indiana. I now have Auto Owners which has a very high rating in JD Powers. My State Farm agent of many years was sad to see me leave but told me that Auto Owners is a very good company. I bought the insurance through an independent agent.

It seems to me that the rates very by state and what could be cheaper in one state will not be in another

I have home, auto and umbrella policies with them. Any claims that I have had were promptly taken care of. All that said, if State Farms rates were better, I would switch back in an instant.

Andrew Joiner
07-03-2013, 1:24 AM
I just shopped around again for insurance. This year Travelers increased prices so much they're no longer competitive. I was surprised to find 2 companies that were always high priced over the years have dropped prices a lot. I'll be switching insurance soon and pay $228 a year for nearly identical coverage.

I meant to say I'll save $228 a year. I'm switching auto,umbrella and homeowners to Farmers insurance.

Ellis Dansereau
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I am with State Farm for more than 10 years now. No problems so far when it comes to claims. I don't mind paying a little more for an excellent service regarding my comprehensive coverage (http://www.yepmarket.com/comprehensive-insurance-coverage/).