PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry Bowl with a Hollow Rim

Jeremy Leasure
06-04-2012, 1:32 PM
I'm not sure "hollow" is the right word for this rim, but I don't know what it's actually called so that's what I went with.

11"x3.5"

http://i.imgur.com/b6uyA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yve2v.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/InKM8.jpg

Dennis Ford
06-04-2012, 2:02 PM
I have called that style "rolled rim", not sure if that is right. Anyway; you did a great job on it, I know it is tricky to make the cut under the rim. I really like the way the grain is balanced on this bowl, shape is nice too.

Doug Herzberg
06-04-2012, 2:12 PM
Undercut? This is really nice, Jeremy. I haven't seen a rim like this before. It's something I'd like to try. Was the wood dry when you did this? It looks so fragile. Nice job with the grain, like Dennis said.

Scott Lux
06-04-2012, 2:54 PM
Very nice indeed.

Jeremy Leasure
06-04-2012, 2:58 PM
Thanks. Doug, it's twice turned. I simply left a bit of a bulbous rim when roughing it out. It isn't as fragile as it might appear, although I'm thinking of rounding out the bottom of the lip more to better guard against dings. I stopped "hollowing" out the rim where it is because I was afraid of it becoming too fragile, however.

John Keeton
06-04-2012, 3:58 PM
Excellent example of good tool control! That is a difficult cut.

charlie knighton
06-04-2012, 4:04 PM
very nice, Jeremy

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2012, 4:18 PM
You did good! Great looking bowl! Like Doug - I would call this an undercut rim... but you're the artist!!

Mike Cruz
06-04-2012, 5:43 PM
Great execution. I like it.

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2012, 8:54 PM
Really nice looking bowl. I like the undercut rim. That is a difficult cut to make.

Thomas Canfield
06-04-2012, 9:33 PM
I'd call it a very nicely done roll rim bowl. You did not mention your finish, but it looks very good. I expect that it will darken with time, but the grain really shows. I have a piece of Mulberry that is still in the finishing stage with 3 coats of oil/poly that I hope ends up looking this nice.

Pete Gray
06-05-2012, 3:35 AM
I just like the simplicity of this piece & the skill in executing it, well done Jeremy
Pete

Michelle Rich
06-05-2012, 6:11 AM
I saw this on another forum, and I think I commented there. But the rolled rim is worth commenting again..good job

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-05-2012, 7:25 AM
Jeremy,
A rolled rim makes a big bowl easier to pick up, especially when it's full of fruit. Well done!!
faust

Jeremy Leasure
06-05-2012, 3:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I like this one as well. I was wondering though, how should I approach doing these in the future? Specifically, when roughing a bowl you intend to shape this way, which would be better, roughing it out to this basic shape or just leaving the rim overly thick when roughing? Which do you figure would result in less losses due to checks and cracks?

Edit: Someone mentioned finish. I sanded to 320 then wet sanded with thinned BLO with 400 and the "buffed" all the excess off with paper towels until they had mostly no trace of discoloration. Then I let it dry for 24 hours or so and Renwaxed it.