PDA

View Full Version : enlarge hole made in plywood?

Florin Andrei
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I made an eyepiece rack for a telescope (see picture), it's where I keep the eyepieces when they are not used. The standard barrel sizes for most eyepieces are 2" and 1.25". I used a 2" hole saw and a 1.25" Forstner bit, and the holes are the perfect size, the eyepieces fit just right. The rack is made from 3/4" plywood. So far so good.

But there's an issue. I want to coat the whole thing with epoxy, to protect it against humidity. Then I want to paint it. After epoxy, primer, and paint, I assume the diameter of the holes will shrink quite a bit and the eyepieces probably won't fit anymore.

I looked for slightly bigger hole saws or bits, but they are too big, the gap would be too large.

Is there an easy way to enlarge those holes a little bit, maybe a couple mm added to the diameter, while keeping them round and smooth?

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
06-04-2012, 1:08 PM
One way is with a pattern bit in a router. A pattern bit has a ball bearing above the cutting edges. You can construct a pattern bit from a straight bit plus a bearing of your own choice. Choose a bearing a little smaller than the bit diameter, and you eat a little bit from the inside face of the hole. Then change to a bearing the same size as the bit diameter, flip the panel over, and remove the part the smaller bearing was just bearing on. Or you can use a flush-trim bit.

You can get a variety of straight bits and bearing diameters from most full-service bit retailers, like Eagle America. http://www.eagleamerica.com/

Chris Padilla
06-04-2012, 1:47 PM
Unless the fit is really snug, I don't think your finishing would add enough to matter.

Prashun Patel
06-04-2012, 1:52 PM
First, I don't think you'll gain that much doing epoxy AND paint in terms of moisture protection if this is not subject to a lot of moisture. If it were me and I wanted it painted, I'd just use a quality enamel paint. I would also not paint the insides of the holes, since they will receive a lot of rubbing and the paint will ultimately chip from here. I would instead seal the rim with shellac. This will provide some moisture protection, and will minimally alter the diameter of the hole.

Kevin Bourque
06-04-2012, 2:38 PM
Cut it bigger , or sand it bigger with a drum sander on a drill, and use grommets in the holes. The grommets will cover any irregularities and will protect the lenses.

Rich Engelhardt
06-04-2012, 5:00 PM
Spiral wrap some sandpaper on a dowl rod and spin the rod around by hand in the holes.

There's no need to use a power anything here since the amount of material you need to remove is so small.

Is there an easy way to enlarge those holes a little bit, maybe a couple mm added to the diameter, while keeping them round and smooth?
The thickness of the materials you plan to use is going to be a lot closer to the thickness of. maybe 4 or 5 pieces of paper - roughly 20 mills.

A few turns of a dowel rod with some 150 grit sandpaper should be more than enough.

That's assuming you use an epoxy.

A gloss enamel such as Rustoleum - which will offer plenty of protection and resist scuffing pretty well, is going to be about half that thickness - roughly 10 mills or about as thick as a doubled up piece of copy paper.

If you just want to seal and protect the wood, a couple of coats of shellac will work fine.
You can buy a spray can of Zinsser Seal Coat and spray it on.
The shellac will go on roughly 2 mills thick - or - about half the thickness of a piece of copy paper.

I'm using the copy paper as a reference you can use to spot check the amount of sanding you'll have to do.
Since it's so minimal, it's going to be easy to overshoot the mark.

Jeff Duncan
06-04-2012, 5:29 PM
I'm with the hand sanding technique if you need to enlarge just a bit. I also question the need for a thick coating? If this is carrying eyepieces I would think it won't be exposed to the elements? As such a thin coat of finish should be good.

good luck,
JeffD

Joe Angrisani
06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
First, I don't think you'll gain that much doing epoxy AND paint in terms of moisture protection if this is not subject to a lot of moisture. If it were me....

I can tell you don't have much telescope time under your belt. A telescope and it's mount can often drip water in the course of a night's observing.

Ryan Hellmer
06-05-2012, 2:40 PM
In the boat building world, holes in wood are often sleeved with something waterproof prior to final boring. Maybe find some PVC that is the correct diameter, enlarge the holes with a router bit, epoxy the PVC sleeves in and then rebore to final dimension that way the entire exposed area is plastic, not wood. Just a thought. For reboring the holes you could either make plugs to give you a center or clamp and bore on a drill press with forstner bits.