PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl

Tim Chase
06-04-2012, 3:58 AM
Roughed out last may and finished last week Third one from this tree the first two went to the tree owner and one to the friend who aquired the log section for me.
This is the first walnut I've turnned and you gotta sharpen a bit more often. ok alot more often than what I'm used to.
13 1/2" D x 5 1/4" H 1/2" thick. 2 coats of WOP

All 233620233621233622
comments and critiques welcome

John Keeton
06-04-2012, 6:15 AM
Very clean hemispherical form, Tim! Well done. I love turning walnut, but it can contain a lot of silica and, if so, will dull tools quickly. Seems that not all of it does, however. When I turn Claro walnut, it is a very different experience than black walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2012, 9:26 AM
That's a pretty bowl! I really like the simple curve! Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
06-04-2012, 9:49 AM
Really nice and like the simple form. Really nice walnut.

Prashun Patel
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Great figure and finish. Not that easy to get walnut so evenly sheened after just 2 coats. How much did you sand it?

Pat Scott
06-05-2012, 9:35 AM
I like it! I turn a fair amount of Black Walnut. I love Walnut, I love the way it looks with a finish on it. What I don't like is sanding it because I have a hard time getting all the sanding scratches out of it. What's your secret?

Tim Chase
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Prashun
This was sanded to 800 and I say two coats but here's my procedure for me as I apply a healthy amount and then burnish it into the wood with the lathe on increasing speed gradually to 400- 500 rpm with cotton cloth soaked in WOP and then buff it at as high a speed as I feel safe the key for me is I use a cotton cloth soaked in mineral spirtits for the high speed buff. I do this twice with overnight in between. I will at times need a third or more coats. I suspect that this is a bit nmore than your average two sessions of WOP.

Tim Chase
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Pat
No big secret, I just sand thru all the grits and at times still have to go back to catch something I left behind. I had some very difficult tear out that just didn't want to go away on this one. It's my least favorite part of the process but absolutely needed to get the desired results. One thing you can do that I usually forget is a wipe down between grits with Mineral spirits or DNA depending on final finish choice will highlight scratches to large to not give more attention to before moving on. 100 grit or higher thru 600 grit or higher. I've read many times use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it.