PDA

View Full Version : First Jointer Purchase. Is this a fair price for a Grizzly G0500 w/Byrd and base?

Richard Tanner
06-04-2012, 1:52 AM
First time poster, I tried searching but couldn't find anything close enough to my exact question. I'm new to woodworking and am needing a jointer to complement an old Foley-Belsaw 910 5hp planer I was given over the weekend.

I found a local CL ad for a Grizzly G0500 8" jointer with a Byrd spiral head and mobile base. Looks to be in excellent condition and the Byrd cutter w/ 10 extra inserts is practically new as well as the mobile base which I will need. $675 is the negotiated price.

I haven't committed yet. Wanted to get some professional opinions and also wanted to ask if the Belsaw planer is anywhere close to comparable to this Grizzly jointer, or will I be wanting to replace it soon after getting the new jointer? Haven't actually fired up the planer yet, hope it works.

Thanks and looking forward to going broke woodworking!

Richard

david brum
06-04-2012, 9:24 AM
That is a bona fide great deal for the jointer, assuming that it's properly flat, etc. A similar new jointer with spiral head is around $1200, so yours is around half of original price. That meets my standard for a craigslist good deal. As an added feature, this jointer is probably Taiwanese instead of Chinese.

Others will comment about the Foley-Belsaw planer. It seems to be well regarded, though. It can also be used as a molder, which gives it lots of versatility. You may have to invent a means of dust collection if you're going to use it indoors. I believe that the parts and cutters are still available for that machine, through the manufacturer. Nice job on the price!

Kevin Bourque
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I'd jump at that deal.

Brian Tymchak
06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Not a pro, but I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

Richard Tanner
06-04-2012, 1:45 PM
Awesome, glad to hear the jointer is a solid deal. Now the trick will be getting it home and in my shop.

And I am looking forward to getting some molding knives for the belsaw too. Too bad I just crown molded half my house

glenn bradley
06-04-2012, 2:36 PM
If there's no problems with it I would do it.

Don Jarvie
06-04-2012, 3:09 PM
Thats a great deal on the jointer. The Belsaw will suit your needs for a 12 inch planer. Only reason to get another would be to get a bigger one. There a bit loud but with a 5hp motor it will plane anything. I have one with a 3hp motor and can take off 1/16 of maple with no issue.

Van Huskey
06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Very good deal espicially if it is a real Byrd head in it!