PDA

View Full Version : walnut-a-like?

Lee Alkureishi
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi all,

I picked up some logs from my local tree feller last week, and got around to cutting and turning some this weekend. I originally thought that this was walnut, but when I cut into it I noticed a purple coloration.

I'm pretty sure it's not purpleheart, as it's likely domestic. Anyone know what wood. This is likely to be? All I know is that it tore out like crazy...

Thanks

John Keeton
06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Looks like walnut to me. Fresh cut walnut can be very purple looking, but quickly turns brown. Over the years, it will turn an amber if exposed to light.

Roger Chandler
06-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Yep.............walnut! The minerals in the soil will give walnut a purple hue, but as John mentioned, it will brown in time.

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Ditto what John said. Wet walnut does have a purple look.

Lee Alkureishi
06-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Ok, great!

The dry walnut I've turmed has been very good for turning, but this had some awful tear-out. Even using a forstner bit for my initial chucking produced some of the worst tear out I've seen. Is wet walnut known for this?

Thanks again

Allen stagg
06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I use a 6" faceplate. Much safer than a chuck on larger pieces.

Cody Colston
06-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Ok, great!

The dry walnut I've turmed has been very good for turning, but this had some awful tear-out. Even using a forstner bit for my initial chucking produced some of the worst tear out I've seen. Is wet walnut known for this?

Thanks again

Yep, and it smell like a pigpen.

Lee Alkureishi
06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Yep, and it smell like a pigpen.

now that u mention it....

Dennis Ford
06-04-2012, 7:00 AM
The only wood I have turned that looked like walnut (besides walnut) was black willow. It is much lighter weight and softer than walnut (and tears out like crazy).

Fred Belknap
06-04-2012, 8:17 AM
I have cut some black walnut that had barbwire in it. The metal caused the fresh cut to have a deep purple hue. It seemed to go away after some time. Some walnut is very soft and prone to tear out.

Prashun Patel
06-04-2012, 8:33 AM
I've been working through a stock of green walnut these past few months also.
I'd be real careful of the sapwood. If it's green, it can crack readily as it dries.

If yr wood smells like a pigpen, then I wonder if it's something different. The walnut I've turned - from dry to green - smells like burnt coffee.

Lee Alkureishi
06-04-2012, 8:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Good to know it's not just me! (although I'm sure it's mostly my technique....)