PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest Recommendations

Jeremy Leasure
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd be grateful for some steady rest recommendations. I'm not up for building one, I'm working 60+ hours a week these days and prefer to spend my free time either comatose or turning. Plus, I just can't get into building my own tools. Always thinking about what I could be making/turning instead.

Prefer it to be nice and heavy duty, ready to withstand the rigors of larger forms and the inexperienced hollowing technician who will (hopefully) be creating them. I'll be using a laser, either on a Monster or a Kobra, so something that doesn't interfere with that will be a must. I'd really, really prefer there not to be a crazy wait list on it. It seems like anything I'm interested in these days has a multi-week or multi-month wait list. Couple weeks? I can deal.

Scott Hackler
06-03-2012, 10:20 PM
A big thumbs up for Jeff Nicol's steady rest. It's very heavy duty and Jeff is also a member here...and a nice fella too! I have one and it works great.

Jeremy Leasure
06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I checked him out a few months ago and again today, but his website still says he isn't making them anymore.

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
For the money if Jeff was making them they are top notch. I love mine. You might give Jeff a call. He may not have had time to change the website.

Paul Singer
06-04-2012, 6:41 AM
If you are interested here are the plans for a Jeff Clone that looks very good. I have not made one myself yet but it is in the want to do list.

http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/plans/Steadyrest%20by%20JDC.pdf

charlie knighton
06-04-2012, 7:36 AM
i use the oneway bowl steady rest, i use it on bowls and hf s, you can use a lazer with it

John M. Smith
06-04-2012, 8:03 AM
Carter products is introducing one this weekend at the symposium. If you go might be something to check out.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-04-2012, 9:23 AM
I like my Oneway. I only have the wheels to use it as a bowl steady because I don't have need for a spindle steady. It only supports two sides of the form but for my projects that has been sufficient.
faust

Kyle Iwamoto
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
If you can't get a Jeff N. rest, I'd reccomend Robust. I have one, it's nice. Pricey though. They also make curved ones now. You can get them from CS USA. Probably no wait. I don't have experience with the OneWays, although Im sure theyre nice as well.

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-04-2012, 3:47 PM
For a Very Heavy Duty thick steel, Steady Rest with Industrial wheels & bearing, ( not light duty skate board wheels & bearings everyone else uses ) Check out Advanced Lathe tools Steady rest. I have one & it's built like a tank . There only available through www. thesandingglove.com
At least go to the web site & check them out.

Ronald Campbell
06-04-2012, 8:18 PM
Yes John Smith is right Carter Products will have a new Hollow Steady at the AAW in San Jose. If you are attending you will get a chance to see it and maybe use it. They have a product that is very versatile and can easily go from lathe to lathe. If you are not going to San Jose you can contact me after the symposium and I will send photos and info

Mike Peace
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Ron Brown has a terrific steady rest of phenolic coated baltic birch cut on a C&C router. I don't see a picture on his website but I would contact him at http://coolhammers.com/ He sells them here also http://www.woodline.com/p-2608-steady-rest.aspx