PDA

View Full Version : Are YOU OCD?

Jason Roehl
06-03-2012, 10:01 PM
If these pictures drive you nuts, you are!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samir/things-that-will-drive-your-ocd-self-insane

:D

Todd Burch
06-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I guess I would say none of those would drive me crazy - but I would, at first opportunity - fix EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM!!!

Seriously, the pills being backward - who cares. The pills being removed "out of order" - who's the idiot?

The Fig Newton wrong - a good excuse to eat down to it ASAP to get it out of there.

The tiles being off - who's the idiot - where's the grout?

What numb nut opens a bag upside down? HELLO!!!

Nah, they don't bug me any. Not at all. Nooooo sirrrreeeeee.

Jack Wilson
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Great shots! But I didn't get the #2 picture, any help?

Bill Cunningham
06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
ZERO effect...

If things like this affect your life, you must be OCD.. One Creepy Dude

Knock Knock Knock..Penny!

:D

Todd Burch
06-03-2012, 10:27 PM

The latch should be vertical! Duh!!

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 10:33 PM
My problem is I am OCD about things that don't matter and not about the things that would make me a "better" person/husband. At least that is what my wife tells me.

glenn bradley
06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm OK because I have CDO. Its a lot like OCD but, the letters are in the right order.

Bruce Page
06-03-2012, 11:20 PM
#7 would drive me nuts.

Keith Starosta
06-04-2012, 6:17 AM
I'm OK because I have CDO. Its a lot like OCD but, the letters are in the right order.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Excellent.

Jason Roehl
06-04-2012, 6:50 AM
Just to clarify on the Fluoxetine--that is more commonly known as Prozac, and is often prescribed to treat OCD.

I have actually interrupted a conversation before when I noticed a tile out of place in a building's entryway, similar to #17.

Belinda Barfield
06-04-2012, 8:25 AM
As one of my friends would say "these ones" got me: 3, 7, 9, 12, 13, 15. And for gosh sakes, when you give me my paper money change, face the bills. How can anyone walk around with money that isn't faced and in numerical order, lowest denomination on top?:eek:

John Coloccia
06-04-2012, 9:35 AM
My wife goes around the kitchen and opens drawers just a crack, just to drive me nuts. I caught her doing it once, giggling to herself. Just to prove I have it under control, I'm not going to put a period at the end of this sentence.

edit: sorry...I just had to go back and fix it.

Steve Meliza
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
The only ones that bother me are the ones that show sloppy and careless work.

Yesterday while buying seeds for the garden I stopped trying to return all of the misplaced packets to their proper locations and just dropped them on the floor. That's progress, right?

Rick Potter
06-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Funny, I have always considered myself a bit OCD, but none of these really got to me. Assuming of course that the building errors were not in my house.

Then, again, when I was at the Dentist the other day I pulled the top off the toilet to stop it from running on. Hmmm.

Rick Potter

PS: John, that was good....made me laugh out loud.

PPS: I'm with Jack on #2.

David Weaver
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I am on the other side from most of you. My wife is a freak about things always being where "they're supposed to be" and the order of the universe (in the household) being exactly at spec.

The trouble is, I don't necessarily know where everything has been stored, and I also don't know what spec is, but regularly find out that whatever I did doesn't meet it. I'm pretty sure if spec were written on paper, it would be a book with a spine thickness of at least 14 or 16 inches - small type, too.

It causes a lot of friction.

Fairly often, I'll ask where something is, and receive a very direct response that describes where spec would have it in the house. If my wife is not home, I can't find anything.

However, downstairs where my shop is, things are an absolute mess, because that's my area. It's mentioned often. I can find things there. Not always, but with much greater success, even though the way things are on shelves is by no means pretty at all (if they are on shelves to begin with).

None of the pictures above bother me too much, though with the tile pictures, I'd figure that someone either was trying to get done by 4:30 on a friday, or that in the case of the two misplaced small tiles, someone with the authority to request such a thing did so just for fun. Rather than get bugged by those kinds of things, I usually puzzle over whether things were done out of laziness, or if someone did them on purpose to torque someone else's underwear.

Todd Burch
06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
...Yesterday while buying seeds for the garden I stopped trying to return all of the misplaced packets to their proper locations and just dropped them on the floor. That's progress, right?

Done that! But at Home Depot. One day at lunch, I was looking for a particular packet of screws. That hanger had the wrong item on it. I unloaded it and dropped all the wrongly-hung bags on the floor.

I searched around that hanger, and found several others that were wrong. Drop. Drop. Drop. Oh, that one was correct! Leave it!

Then, I started digging through the shelf that ran all along under the packet hangers, looking for what I wanted. Nope, not it - on the floor you go. I cleared that shelf off. Maybe 12' of it.

When I was done, I had finally found my needed 2 packets (that had not been opened yet by someone stealing one) and I went and found the manager. I brought him to the isle and told him I left him a present, and explained everything I saw that was mis-filed, open, empty, or not hanging, I dumped on the floor.

There was a wheel barrow load of plastic bags. Seriously.

After he sighed a bit, he was actually thankful, because he had been having issues on that isle (obviously) and now was the time he could address it.

Man did I feel good.

John Coloccia
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
I once shut off my car with the windshield wiper in mid stroke...and left it like that. That's right.

Todd Burch
06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I once shut off my car with the windshield wiper in mid stroke...and left it like that. That's right.

Now you're just toying with us!! Shame on you!

Jerome Stanek
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
When i go to the store with my wife everything has to be stood up the right way before we can go home.

David Weaver
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM

I did this with my wife's car when there was a forecast of mixed precipitation one winter, since it's a lot easier to get the wipers loose when they were left vertical than it is to dig in a pile of ice that has accumlated along them when they're stopped (if you can even get down to them in the first place).

It didn't go over that well. My wife was worried that someone would see them and think she left them like that. I eventually won that argument and they were left like that subsequently, but I could tell it still bothered her.

And then we got a garage, which sort of solved the conflict permanently (her work has a garage, too, so no more ice dilemmas).

Todd Burch
06-04-2012, 1:44 PM
Just got back from having Popeye's for lunch:

Me: Hi. Are you the new manager?
NM: Yes - my first day
Me: Nice to meet you. I come here a lot.
NM: Oh, great!
Me: Perhaps you guys can find a way to load the napkins in the dispenser properly? (flat back of napkin is facing out instead of folded down edge - you have to grab a wad of them)
NM: (pointing to cashier) It's her first day.
Me: Not the first time.
NM: Oh, sorry about that.

I eat.

Did they fix it? Of course not.

I'm cursed.

ray hampton
06-04-2012, 6:33 PM
every time that I buy a bolt and nut at Lowe, thanks to the non-OCD people that can not return items to the right bin, I will try every nut on every bolt to be sure that they are the correct size, if you pick up 10 bolts, one of them will be about half of the length of the longest bolt

Todd Burch
06-04-2012, 6:35 PM
every time that I buy a bolt and nut at Lowe, thanks to the non-OCD people that can not return items to the right bin, I will try every nut on every bolt to be sure that they are the correct size, if you pick up 10 bolts, one of them will be about half of the length of the longest bolt

And one nut will be fine thread and the other 9 coarse!

Jason Roehl
06-04-2012, 6:59 PM
Thanks, guys (and gals!). I really needed the laughs right now.

Belinda--I'm totally with you on the money thing. I'm glad that I never worked a drawer at McD's (my first job). I overheard them training someone to hand the money back face down, laying the largest bill on the counter first and working their way down in denomination as the stack grew. I managed to keep most of the smoke between my ears, but I'm sure a little must have gotten out--it just didn't compute.

Todd--the shelf clearing episode was great. I HATE it when stuff isn't where it's supposed to be in the store, and I hate it when they move stuff around every few weeks.

Jim Matthews
06-04-2012, 9:32 PM
Am I missing something?

I don't get it. Then again, there's no cap on my toothpaste, either.
I am, however, a paranoid dyslexic - I'm pretty sure I'm following strangers.

Tom Scott
06-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Oh I can relate to all the above. Maybe it's good for me, but my wife is the opposite...she squeezes the toothpaste from the middle instead of the bottom, will open a new shampoo bottle before the old one is done and will mutilate (or open from the wrong end) the bag of cereal. At least the last "issue" was solved when she bought me special tupperware for my cereal!

I was a bank teller in college and had the neatest cash drawer around! Now I'm an engineer and get paid to be obsessive about the details.

Belinda Barfield
06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I am on the other side from most of you. My wife is a freak about things always being where "they're supposed to be" and the order of the universe (in the household) being exactly at spec.

The trouble is, I don't necessarily know where everything has been stored, and I also don't know what spec is, but regularly find out that whatever I did doesn't meet it. I'm pretty sure if spec were written on paper, it would be a book with a spine thickness of at least 14 or 16 inches - small type, too.

It causes a lot of friction.

Fairly often, I'll ask where something is, and receive a very direct response that describes where spec would have it in the house. If my wife is not home, I can't find anything.

Guilty. When the SO does help out with the dishes, etc., I have to ask "if I were you where would I have stored the mixing bowl?". In the past I stored the spices in alphabetical order, but now they are organized by frequency of use. The scissors live in the front right corner of the top drawer of the furniture piece under the TV, right beside the Sotch tape, which is right beside the ribbon. They scissors have always lived there . . . I don't know why the SO doesn't know this. :rolleyes: Seriously, I feel for you David, it's tough to live with a woman who feels the need to give order to the universe.

I tried this once . . . I even made it to my front door . . . then I went back down three flights of stairs to "correct the problem".

John M Wilson
06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
My weakness is the 3-way switch for the light in our foyer. I "like" it when all switches are off (down) when the light is off. So much so that I will gladly walk up the flight of stairs to put the switch in the "proper" off location. My wife and daughters are not so fussy, and get a kick out of watching the old man frantically dashing from switch to switch to restore order to the universe.

Just a one-man fight versus entropy.

Jason Roehl
06-05-2012, 3:28 PM
My weakness is the 3-way switch for the light in our foyer. I "like" it when all switches are off (down) when the light is off. So much so that I will gladly walk up the flight of stairs to put the switch in the "proper" off location. My wife and daughters are not so fussy, and get a kick out of watching the old man frantically dashing from switch to switch to restore order to the universe.

Just a one-man fight versus entropy.

I want a 3-way (or 4-way) switch system that will operate all switches in unison. That is, when you want a light on, you flip one switch up, and all others will follow suit (obviously, the switches would have to be electronically relayed then such that the action of one controls the position of the others without the others also affecting the status of the light).

David Cramer
06-06-2012, 8:09 AM

The latch is not all the way down in the full "locked" position.

Bill Cunningham
06-06-2012, 9:59 PM
My wife insists that more than three random things on a kitchen counter constitutes a mess..
Seeing my work bench in the shop would reduce her to dry heaves...She rarely comes into my domain..

A place for everything, and EVERYTHING is in that place..;)

ray hampton
06-07-2012, 4:01 AM
My wife insists that more than three random things on a kitchen counter constitutes a mess..
Seeing my work bench in the shop would reduce her to dry heaves...She rarely comes into my domain..

A place for everything, and EVERYTHING is in that place..;)

I am glad that nobody can see mine house, I make space for EVERYTHING , WELL ALMOST EVERTTHING

Rick Fisher
06-07-2012, 4:36 AM
Some of them bother me quite a bit .. Some not at all ..

I front shelves in stores.. It irritates my wife.. We will be shopping and I will cross an isle to straighten a package and turn it face out .. It bugs me .. If I don't do it, it sticks in my head for a few minutes.. not much more .. Easier to just fix it..

Roger Bell
06-08-2012, 3:09 PM
The next time I solicit bids for tilesetters, I will give them this test.

Michael Weber
06-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm not OCD but got a laugh out of a sig line on a poster from another forum. "Im CDO. It's like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, like they should be."

Jack Wilson
06-09-2012, 6:30 PM
The latch should be vertical! Duh!!

"Duh"? Are you mocking me Todd? Anhh, don't worry about it, I'm used to it. :) Anyways, I still don't get it. It looks like an airline seat, but I have never seen a "handle" or seat belt, or what ever it is like that, so I stand vindicated, or something.

Rick Potter, thank you for validating me!

Todd Burch
06-09-2012, 7:00 PM
The "Duh" was: if you are OCD, the fact that whatever it was didn't matter, as it was not vertical!

Brian Elfert
06-10-2012, 11:06 PM
"Duh"? Are you mocking me Todd? Anhh, don't worry about it, I'm used to it. :) Anyways, I still don't get it. It looks like an airline seat, but I have never seen a "handle" or seat belt, or what ever it is like that, so I stand vindicated, or something.

Having been on two Southwest flights last week I knew the picture was of the handle that holds the tray table upright.

Dave Johnson29
06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Ummm, I call it OCE. The "E" is Enhancement. Think about the great achievers of the world. Think about the successful entrepreneurs. Think about the business models of very successful companies. When Instagram was recently purchased, the CEO was quoted "we are a four-year-overnight-success." :) It's called attention to detail and that is as OCE as it gets.