PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Bowls

Deane Allinson
06-03-2012, 8:41 PM
I had a couple of fair sized mesquite limbs about 8-10" dia. It had several rotted spots and some rather large grub worm looking things inside. By the time I cut away the voids, splits and worm holes the blanks became pretty small. I got a couple of small bowls out of it. I am throwing out a couple of other larges chunks to keep the bugs away from my house and small wood pile. A little over 5 1/2" dia., one at 2 1/2" and other 3" tall.
Deane

Thomas Canfield
06-03-2012, 9:35 PM
Nice looking bowls Deane. I like the dainty appearance of the smaller bowl, but am wondering what the base bottom looks like. I have a Koa bowl very similar that I bought from Kelly Dunn when visiting Hiwaii several years ago that has a small straight foot that has a hemisphere removed to provide a thin edge. The undercut at rim on the larger bowl looks like it also makes it lighter and adds to surprise when someone picks it up. Good job on both.

Jeremy Leasure
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Digging the rim on the right hand bowl. Mesquite looks nice, wish we had some around here.

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Nice bowls Deane. I really like the rim also on the right. Gotta love mesquite but getting expensive to have it shipped.

Baxter Smith
06-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Nice looking bowls out of some pretty wood Deane. Have never tried that style though I have seen them in books.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2012, 9:29 AM
Too bad about losing so much of the blank but both of these bowls turned out well! I really like the smaller bowl - the form reminds me of a rice bowl!

Prashun Patel
06-04-2012, 9:49 AM
Nice! I'm partial to the smaller one. Looks dainty and touchable.