PDA

View Full Version : WW points of interest in the Greensboro, NC or Danville, VA area?

Wes Billups
06-03-2012, 1:42 PM
I'll be in both of these areas this coming week and was wondering if there are any unique woodworking stores or museums in either city. I won't have much time 1-2 hours at most in each city.

Thanks,
Wes

P.S. I live in Topeka, KS which has nothing of interest for a woodworker.

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 1:54 PM
Klingspor has a store in Winston Salem about 30 minutes away and there is a Woodcraft in Greensboro, I haven't been to either but have been to the Klingspor in Hickory and it is very nice BUT it is the main store of their three so I don't know if the WS store is as nice, I assume the Woodcraft is like most every Woodcraft.

Tony Joyce
06-03-2012, 5:04 PM
Wall Lumber is about 45 miles north of Greensboro just off Hwy 220.

Scott T Smith
06-03-2012, 5:59 PM
Woodworkers Supply is about 45 minutes east of Greensboro just off of I 40 in Graham. They have a nice store (and a warehouse behind it); it's one of their three regional centers.

The Hardwood Store of North Carolina is in Gibsonville, NC, with a nice selection of exoctics and various hardwoods.

Kyle Edwards (The Sawmill LLC) is in Iron Station, about an hour and fifteen minutes SW, with a fantastic selection of kiln dried slabs. Klingspor has locations in Hickory (their HQ), as well as WS and Raleigh. If you want to look at a lot of quartersawn oak, I'm about an hour and a half SSE of GBO. Steve Wall's place is up in Mayodan and it's a great stop too, as is Rick DeNardo at The Moulding Source in Mooresville (about an hour SW of GBO) with some Shop Fox equipment and great selection of lumber.

From a tool/equipment standpoint, I would recommend Woodworkers Supply as your best stop.

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 6:57 PM
From a tool/equipment standpoint, I would recommend Woodworkers Supply as your best stop.

I forgot about WWS, it would indeed be the best stop, I just can't handle the Woodtek machines and all that John Deere green!

Scott T Smith
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I forgot about WWS, it would indeed be the best stop, I just can't handle the Woodtek machines and all that John Deere green!

Hey, you can always repaint them....

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey, you can always repaint them....

I dunno if I could look at that color long enough to paint it...

Just FYI Wes you need to look at how long the round trip is to WWS, it is pretty much all interstate BUT depending on where in Gboro you are the trip might eat most of your two hours!