PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Ash Cremation Urn

John Keeton
06-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I have done a few cremation urns, and I have started to get some sales. Encouraged by that, I decided to do one that was perhaps a bit more masculine than some of the others I have done. I am not sure it makes a difference, but variety is the spice of life!

This one is dyed with Fiebing's medium brown leather dye. Some parts were rubbed out with DNA to show some appearance of handheld patina and shellac was added as a sealer coat. The beaded areas and detail recesses were then brushed with shellac to which leather dye and black Transtint were added and then wiped off with a piece of shop towel soaked in DNA and clear shellac. That left the dark shellac in the recesses for more of an aged look.

The finish is a couple of coats of satin WOP, buffed with tripoli and Ren wax for a hand rubbed look. Dimensions are 6.75" x 12.5" tall. The threads are ABS plastic.

Not at all a traditional urn form or top, but let me know what you think!

Dennis Ford
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I like it, very nice form and finish. The wood is more plain than most of your work but the dye added some nice color.

Paul Williams
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I like the form and the color and finish are excellent. While I like the top I would probably try a shorter version. Not sure why, but if it were my turning I would experiment with the size and height of the top. Then maybe settle on the one you did.

Mike Golka
06-03-2012, 12:51 PM
John the bottom is very appealing to me, the shape, the color, everything works well together. The top on the other hand just doesn't speak to me, JMHO. I took the liberty to play with it, hope you don't mind. Gives it more of a traditional look.

Mike Peace
06-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Good looking urn, John. Now once you getting to hand chasing threads...

John Keeton
06-03-2012, 1:21 PM
Thanks, guys! Mike G., that is an excellent suggestion on the top - I will store that one for a future piece.

Mike P., I really do need to try the thread chasing. I have two sets of chasers, but seems most of the wood I use is not preferred for chasing. I need to try my hand at chasing on some inserts of persimmon for the next one!

charlie knighton
06-03-2012, 1:36 PM
very nice, John

could you describe your threads that you did use, ie i am not familiar with the abs threads, where did you buy them, did you glue them on, etc, thanks

Ted Evans
06-03-2012, 1:41 PM
Very rich and elegant looking John, but then, what else would we expect from you.

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2012, 1:42 PM
I love the form and the color. Kinda with Mike on the topper.

"...most of the wood I use is not preferred for chasing..."

I used to do quite a bit of threading and one thing I discovered is that if wood is wet, it threads much better. A quick misting from a spray bottle can tame many woods that would normally be resistant to the threading process. I am really wanting to aquire some chasers and try cutting threads. I'm sure it's quite different from the comparatively course threads I have made in the past for things like vices and clamps.

Roger Chandler
06-03-2012, 2:22 PM
Very nice, John.......great finish.........I like Mike Golka's suggestion on the top as well.

Harvey M. Taylor
06-03-2012, 2:30 PM
John, I like the small base but get a little queasy about it turning over or being dropped while dusting etc.so I flair the base out a little for that reason. Like your dye job. It is on my to learn list. I also use the black pvc instead of chasing the threads. Seems to me it would warp, as wood is prone to do. Max

Donny Lawson
06-03-2012, 3:08 PM
Very nice form and the color is kinda soothing. I like it.

Roland Martin
06-03-2012, 3:58 PM
That's a really nice form, John and the finish siuts it well. I also love the detailing at the top.

Jim Burr
06-03-2012, 4:08 PM
I like the simplicity of this one John...just enough embellishment,not too much bling. Typical finish we've come to expect!

Bernie Weishapl
06-03-2012, 5:24 PM
John that is a great looking Urn. I do like that color and the form is spot on. Not sure about the lid but I do like different.

Chris Studley
06-03-2012, 6:28 PM
Dyed ash?... Is that a pun?

Since you have to have "Died" and be Ash to really "Get Into" this form...
:)

Alan Trout
06-03-2012, 6:35 PM
John,

I kind of like the top because it does not look so much like a cremation urn. Overall I think it is an excellent effort that really like and would enjoy sitting on a shelf in :) .

Alan

Jamie Donaldson
06-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Formal yet constrained, elegant and subdued, just as an urn for an adult should be, and the finish is perfect John. I also concur about a less knobby handle, as an urn in not meant to ever be opened. I found that cutting threads can be enhanced with applications of thin CA or thinned lacquer on softer woods that would otherwise not be good threading stock.

John Keeton
06-03-2012, 8:50 PM
Thanks, again, for the comments.
very nice, John

could you describe your threads that you did use, ie i am not familiar with the abs threads, where did you buy them, did you glue them on, etc, thanksCharlie, I don't know the name for these plumbing couplings, but here they are. The inside diameter of the male threads is 2". I just chuck the pieces up and turn a shoulder on the female section and turn the end off the male threads. The thread on these has some "gain" to it - they are tapered For that reason, you can use only the end of the male threads. The middle section would not start very well in a new set of female threads. Hope this helps.

Dyed ash?... Is that a pun?

Since you have to have "Died" and be Ash to really "Get Into" this form...
:)That is good, Chris!! What about Ashes to Ash for a title?:D

Curt Fuller
06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
John,

I kind of like the top because it does not look so much like a cremation urn.

This was my first thought also. I think a smaller version of the knob but with the same look might be better. It's very pretty as it is too.

Baxter Smith
06-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Love the color and the form as well. The knob looks good though it may be a little large....but you wanted it to be masculine.:)

Kathy Marshall
06-04-2012, 2:37 AM
Nice urn John! The form looks great and I love the color. I like the knobbed lid, but I also like Mike's rendition or a more typical urn lid.

John Keeton
06-04-2012, 6:27 AM
Sounds like the majority do not care for the knob idea! Always good to get feedback. I will say it fits the hand nicely!;)

Thanks for all the comments and for looking. I hope to experiment on other urns to achieve a more traditional look, perhaps, but I am given to deviating from the norm quite often.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2012, 9:22 AM
John - love the color on this! Nice work at achieving an aged patina! I really like the form as it looks like an item that you wish to have displayed - as opposed to a piece that's only purpose is as an urn. While the knob may be a little on the large size... it only takes one customer who sees this as the perfect urn! Nice to be able to offer choices and with the masculine form and warm coloring to this - I think it will sell very quickly! Nice work!

Trevor Howard
06-04-2012, 1:13 PM
I really like this John, as a display piece. I would be wary of me knocking it over. I am not a fan of dyed pieces where they don't look like wood, but seeing the grain on this and the color appeals very much to my eye.
On a side note, could you show pictures of your work, in future, before applying, dyes or finishes. Seeing a before and after might make me appreciate some of your excellent Dyed pieces. Like I say, the dyed pieces look great, but I dislike painting good wood, its a personnel thing ;)

Billy Tallant
06-05-2012, 2:43 AM
Very nice job on form & finish. As far as the top goes, I like it. The top to me blends in perfect with your design. It seems like an extension of your urn form.

Carl Civitella
06-05-2012, 9:22 AM
very nice, John

could you describe your threads that you did use, ie i am not familiar with the abs threads, where did you buy them, did you glue them on, etc, thanks

Try this link. http://www.woodturningonline.com/turning/turning_content/threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf (http://www.woodturningonline.com/turning/turning_content/thread_inserts_for_urns.pdf) OOps the link is not working. Carl

Ted Evans
06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
My vote is for the top to remain just as it is, for me, it works fabulously.

John Keeton
06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
I appreciate all the additional comments. The urn will be delivered to the funeral director today, and I will be interested in his thoughts about the "marketability" of the piece.

Thom Sturgill
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
John, I like this piece with BOTH lid designs. Great job on the grain alignment! The knob might encourage one to pick it up by the knob and if the glue failed, that would be an issue. Also it might encourage one to twist teh knob, so glue or locktight would defintely be in order!

Rick Markham
06-06-2012, 3:50 AM
I must have missed this one. The color is amazing on this one, I really like the design elements they all work well together. I could go either way on the top. Maybe not so Urn'ish but they are kind of a personal item so it's hard say definitively. I like the contrast in the grain too.

I have a set of thread chasers too, I haven't tried them yet. I will definitely be trying David's water trick when I do though ;)

Russell Eaton
06-06-2012, 6:09 AM
I have viewed this several times. I like the color of the piece and think the top is fine. Another good job John!

John Keeton
06-06-2012, 6:15 AM
Thanks, guys, I did deliver the urn. The funeral director was excited about it and felt it would do well. It was priced a bit above some of the others I have there, but the real test will be the public. We shall have to wait and see!!

Bill Wyko
06-07-2012, 2:58 PM
Sorry I'm late, been rushing out some work. John, you've done another superb job. A beautiful resting place that will give those living a good feeling when they look at it and remember the one lost. Well done my friend.