PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blades question if ya please,

Bill White
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Suggestions from the floor as to brand(s) for 93 1/2" 1/4"x6tpi, 3/8" x4tpi, and 1/2"x 3tpi (for resaw).
My old Magna had a lifetime supply of blades, but since buying a new Grizz 0555LX (is that a gloat?), I need to restock the blade rack.
I've used the Woodslicer on the Magna.
TIA.
Bill

Alan Schwabacher
06-03-2012, 1:29 PM
I like the bands from woodcraftbands dot com. Their standard lenox blades in the sizes you mention would be $11 each (if you buy fewer than 5) and every one I have gotten has had a good weld.

But their bimetal blades at $23 are an even better deal because they last so long. In the 1/4" x 6 TPI and 3/8" x 4 TPI sizes these are good choices. When you get to 1/2" x 3 TPI, the Lenox bladestock is .032" thick, so I switched to Olson All-Pro bimetal blades that are .025" thick in their 1/2" 3 TPI size. I don't know whether this helped any, but these blades also work well and last a long time.

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 1:32 PM
When buying bands the brand, weld and specifications of the blade are all important. I am a fan of Lenox bands for most blades. The weld is very important so I only buy from places that weld there own and I have had good luck with. Iturra Designs and Spectrum Supply are two I have had good luck with, you will have to call Iturra but Spectrum has a full e-tail site. Woodcraftbands.com has great prices and get mentioned a lot on all the forums, I plan to order from them next BUT I can't verify the weld quality but I haven't seen any complaints at all. You have about the perfect mix for a 14" cast clone saw listed in your post. I would get the 1/2" blade in a Woodslicer type blade, both Iturra (Bladerunner) and Spectrum (Kerfmaster) sell the same band stock as the Woodslicer, both are just cheaper. YOu may consider getting the other two blades in bi-metal, they are more expensive but outlast carbon blades by at least 10 times.

One other thing, you may want to check out the local industrial supply houses, depending on where you live and the local industry often this is actually the cheapest route just make sure they are using one of the quality band stocks like Lenox or Starrett.

Bill White
06-03-2012, 2:31 PM
Van, good comments. I do have an industrial sawblade supplier locally. Have not bought anything from 'em as yet. I'll ask about the brand of stock they carry/use. Did not know about commonality of stock for a W'slicer type blade. More good info.
Local can be good 'cause the shipping and "handling" fees reallyl add up quickly. I find it preposterous that it costs $9.99 to ship one stinkin' BS blade when I just bought a #5 1/2C Stanley plane that incurred every bit of $5.75 to ship. DUH???
Bill

Van Huskey
06-03-2012, 3:41 PM
Van, good comments. I do have an industrial sawblade supplier locally. Have not bought anything from 'em as yet. I'll ask about the brand of stock they carry/use. Did not know about commonality of stock for a W'slicer type blade. More good info.
Local can be good 'cause the shipping and "handling" fees reallyl add up quickly. I find it preposterous that it costs $9.99 to ship one stinkin' BS blade when I just bought a #5 1/2C Stanley plane that incurred every bit of $5.75 to ship. DUH???
Bill

The Woodslicer et al are Atlanta Sharptech stock borrowed from the meat cutting industry, it costs more from Highland I assume for 2 reasons, they built the "brand" and it was in the magazine article that started the buzz so they CAN charge more and they don't weld on site which raises the cost.

Erik Loza
06-04-2012, 9:03 AM
Another fan of Lenox products, here. Or, the Timberwolf blades for budget/more generalized use.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA